How do you format NTFS on an extended drive?

angel

I am finally installing XP on my desktop computer. I'm glad to have this laptop to be able to still communicate with the outside world.

I followed the directions that you guys gave me in this forum and everything is going ok so far. I have two partitions using fdisk, and XP is installing on Drive C, with Drive D extended as a logical drive.

Now, Drive C was formatted NTFS when I started installing XP. But I was never asked to format Drive D NTFS.

So how do I get Drive D formatted NTFS when XP finishes installing on Drive C? Or does it have to be formatted that way? Shouldn't I format it some way?

Angel

You may as well format as the native file system to XP is NTFS, plus there are many advantages to using NTFS, firtly you can secure certain sections of your drive, and secondly it offers a performance increase.

aMb

After the install, I found that by simply clicking on Drive D in My Computer, I was given the option to format right there in Windows. In fact I was told I had to format before I could use it. I guess I missed formatting that drive somewhere when I was partitioning. I just was never given that option.

Angel

Beware of the conversion program unless you set it up first. If you just convert with the default parameters, you could wind up with 512 or 1k size cluster dependent on the size of your hard drive. I had that happen to me and PC Pitstop gave me low marks on drive performance. I move all the files to another drive, reformated and it immediately changed to 4k clusters. This improved performance greatly. I don't have the information but I believe I read it here, but there is a procedure for setting up your MFT and cluster size prior to converting.:)

Run the defrag program under System Tools, and choose the drive you want and select analyze. After it complete select report and cluster size is listed in the report. I believe Chkdsk will also give you that information, too.:spaced

• 3 weeks later...

So how do I get Drive D formatted NTFS when XP finishes installing on Drive C? Or does it have to be formatted that way? Shouldn't I format it some way?

Angel [/quote:936aa24554]

Right click my computer, manage, disk management, from there you can do lots to D drive.