Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

System File Protection

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
I've replaced SFC_OS.DL_ with the working one from a thread here, setup doesn't complain, and i've also merged:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SfcQuota"=dword:ffffffff
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d
"SFCScan"=dword:00000000

at cmdlines, and now RunOnceEx

and it STILL shows me a dialog saying files were replaced, insert your windows cd! (during RunOnceEx)

:)

any suggestions? :rolleyes:
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gareththegod

gareththegod

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 28-September 03
you need to tell the winnt.sif file to disable the windows xp protected files. sorry can't remember the commands. this mac doesn't have the help file. a search for protected files should help

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
oh yeah, in my winnt.sif file i have:

[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota=0
;SFCDisable=2

not sure why the last line is commented out, or what the "2" is..
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 19-September 03
I found that you CAN delete SFC protected files and folders at the CMDLINES stage. I am using the CMDLINES.TXT to remove the onboard defragmentation program which deletes extensively from <windir>\system32\ and <windir>\system32\dllcache\. So far no problems. Xp running fine, sfc is running and never complained about missing files.

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01

I found that you CAN delete SFC protected files and folders at the CMDLINES stage. I am using the CMDLINES.TXT to remove the onboard defragmentation program which deletes extensively from <windir>\system32\ and <windir>\system32\dllcache\. So far no problems. Xp running fine, sfc is running and never complained about missing files.

Can anyone else back this up? Will add to the main site if it works :)

big poppa pump

big poppa pump

Damn Newbies!!

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03

And how exactly do you do this?

DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert || Opty 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW @ 3.01Ghz (335*9) - 1.52V, TT Big Typhoon w/120mm Panaflo
2 x G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ || BBA Radeon 1900XTX || X-Mystique DD 5.1 with/ Pioneer THX 1015TX
2*74GB Raptors - Raid 0 || 2*300GB Seagate 7200.9 NCQ SATA-II || 4*Hitachi 500GB 7K500 || Mad Dog Triple Format DL DVD+/-RW/DVD-Ram
OCZ GameXstream 700W || CM Stacker STC-01 || 2 * Dell 2405FPW

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

And how exactly do you do this?

if what he is saying is correct, you can do

make a text file called cmdlines.txt in your $OEM$ folder
inside I put:
[COMMANDS]
"$1\install\cmdlines.cmd"

and in $1\install\cmdlines.cmd you could put:

CLS
@echo off
MODE CON COLS=80 LINES=40
COLOR 0A
TITLE OMG LOL

DEL %systemroot%\explorer.exe /Q /F
DEL %systemroot%\important.file /Q /F

etc

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
Create a CMDLINES.TXT file containing:

[COMMANDS]
".\my_batch_file.cmd"

Then put a series of DEL commands in the my_batch_file.cmd example file:
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\*.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\system32\*.scr"
DEL "%systemroot%\*.bmp"
DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\*.jpg"

Both files go into the root $OEM$ folder.

Edit: oops, didn't see your post gismo!

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
SFC only runs at about 8 mins left, so cmdlines might delete files without causing sfc errors. Setuplog.txt at the bottom shows this.

In my unattend file i put a semi colon in front of SFCDisable=2 because i don't want to disable sfc. If you want to disable sfc, remove the semicolon. You don't need to add the registry keys manually.

-gosh

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

In my unattend file i put a semi colon in front of SFCDisable=2 because i don't want to disable sfc.  If you want to disable sfc, remove the semicolon.  You don't need to add the registry keys manually.

-gosh

aha, thanks man, i probably got it from one of your guides :)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
hmm okay, i've uncommented out that line and i still get the stupid dialog when i replace uxtheme.dll !

so i have: Replaced the SFC_OS.DL_, disabled sfc in winnt.sif, merged registry keys to disable it, and it STILL comes up!

:@

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
Gism0, I used modifype.exe on the copy of uxtheme.dll that allows non-MS themes to be used, so you might want to use it. Windows XP Setup had no problem allowing it though (its logged in setuperr.log, but no side effect from it)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
good plan, that would save a bit of hassle..

where can i get a copy of modifype.exe ?

edit: found it :)

Attached Files

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
Yep, just open command prompt, browse to the directory where you keep uxtheme.dll then:

modifype uxtheme.dll
makecab uxtheme.dll

Then copy uxtheme.dl_ to the i386 directory, overwriting when prompted.

gmx

gmx

• PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Joined 09-November 03

Yep, just open command prompt, browse to the directory where you keep uxtheme.dll then:

modifype uxtheme.dll
makecab uxtheme.dll

will these work for files such as shell32.... [still cant belive its so easy :) ]

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
oh yeah - I still got the fecking dialog!

gophtc

gophtc

• 21 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
SFCDisable should be set to 2 to disable it for the next boot only.
Set it to 1 to permanently disable it

gophtc

gophtc

• 21 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
Im a little confused though
winnt.sif should be like this
[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota=0
SFCDisable=1
SFCScan=0

but the reg is supposedly:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SfcQuota"=dword:ffffffff
"SFCDisable"=dword:ffffff9d
"SFCScan"=dword:00000000

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
I digged around a bit on SFCDisable (MS are trying their best not to document this), but found this:

http://www.microsoft...ion129121120120

It's referring to it as a registry modification, but should also apply as a winnt.sif value. Hope it helps.

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01

modifype uxtheme.dll
makecab uxtheme.dll

will these work for files such as shell32.... [still cant belive its so easy :) ]

Should do, but do let me know, as uxtheme.dll is the only modified file I use.

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
interesting..

Important: You must have a kernel debugger attached to the system via null modem cable (for example:I386kd.exe or Windbg.exe) to use SFCDisable = 1 or SFCDisable = 2.

After WFP is disabled using the SFCDisable = 1 setting, the following message will appear after logon:

Warning! Windows File Protection is not active on this system. Would you like to enable Windows File Protection now? This will enable Windows File Protection until the next system restart. <Yes> <No>.

Clicking Yes will reactivate WFP until the next system restart. This message will appear at every successful logon until SFCDisable is set to 0.

I think the registry tweak might just get rid of that though :)

ArcAngelX

ArcAngelX
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 01-September 03
This is what I use:-

Open Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change SFCDisable to ffffff9d to disable SFC completely.

Allowed SFC values:

0 = Enable SFC.
1 = Disable SFC with prompt at reboot to re-enable it.
2 = Disable SFC without nag prompt at reboot to re-enable it.
4 = Enable SFC but disable all prompts.
FFFFFF9D = Disable WFP/SFC completely.

I have my SFCDisable set to 4 and have never had any prompts, it just might overright the files if you load your Win XP disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users