Guide:How to modify install.wim

Tomorrow

I am also looking forward to the "No prompt" non-WHQL driver update. Also, I am looking forward to see how exactly you managed to change the default install background. Modifying spwizimg.dll does not change the install when booted off of DVD. Keep it up.

!!!Guide Updated!!! :sneaky: ...well after my hangover has finally passed now i was able to complete the edit :lol:

Check in the "Making Changes" section near the bottom.Unfortunately there is a major problem with the Registry editor so if you know a solution lets us know.

EDIT:Hive loading fixed :thumbup

Edited by Tomorrow

Nice additions. Keep up the great work!

One suggestion I'll make is that this whole thread would be better moved to the "Unattended Vista" section, as none of the tweaks here apply to Vlite. It is still very useful, but more people might find it if moved to the appropriate section.

In regards to the guide, I have a few questions about this part:

*Changing OOBE Background:Those who are not so familiar with Vista will undoubtedly ask...what tha heck is OOBE?.It is Out Of Box Experience.The system responsible for user creation in the end of Vista install.But during that the background is just lame right?.Say you want to make the background look the same as your logonscreen or desktop?.This can be easily done by converting your own background to JPG format(resolution doesent matter) and naming it to oobe.jpg replacing the default file in C:\Windows\System32\oobe.jpg .

Modifying this file (oobe.jpg) only changes the install screen AFTER the contents of the DVD have been moved to the hard drive. The same holds true if you modify spwizimg.dll (both in Sources and in install.wim: windows\system32). There MUST be a file in boot.wim that can be modified to change the install screen you immediately see, but I have examined EVERY .dll in boot.wim to no effect. I have also changed the winpe.bmp (in boot.wim: windows\system32) to my own custom bitmap to no avail.

My question: How can you change the install background you immediately see as the DVD boots and the first "Installing Windows" window comes up?

post-158493-1211825985_thumb.jpg

--radigast

Edited by radigast

it's the #2 image of boot.wim,u have to chage winpe.bmp der.

Hmmm...I can't seem to find this second boot.wim you are referring to. Care to give any more details about where exactly to find it?

Thanks for the help!

**Edit**I figured out what you mean. Edit the boot.wim, but mount image 2...not image 1. Thanks!!

Edited by radigast

Nice additions. Keep up the great work!

One suggestion I'll make is that this whole thread would be better moved to the "Unattended Vista" section, as none of the tweaks here apply to Vlite. It is still very useful, but more people might find it if moved to the appropriate section.

In regards to the guide, I have a few questions about this part:

*Changing OOBE Background:Those who are not so familiar with Vista will undoubtedly ask...what tha heck is OOBE?.It is Out Of Box Experience.The system responsible for user creation in the end of Vista install.But during that the background is just lame right?.Say you want to make the background look the same as your logonscreen or desktop?.This can be easily done by converting your own background to JPG format(resolution doesent matter) and naming it to oobe.jpg replacing the default file in C:\Windows\System32\oobe.jpg .

Modifying this file (oobe.jpg) only changes the install screen AFTER the contents of the DVD have been moved to the hard drive. The same holds true if you modify spwizimg.dll (both in Sources and in install.wim: windows\system32). There MUST be a file in boot.wim that can be modified to change the install screen you immediately see, but I have examined EVERY .dll in boot.wim to no effect. I have also changed the winpe.bmp (in boot.wim: windows\system32) to my own custom bitmap to no avail.

My question: How can you change the install background you immediately see as the DVD boots and the first "Installing Windows" window comes up?

post-158493-1211825985_thumb.jpg

--radigast

As i specified then this image is responsible for the background of user creation etc during install.When it comes to the first background when you boot the DVD then as Innocent Devil explained its a bit more complicated.But dont worry.It should be in the next Guide update.

Also im announcing a new tweak for next Guide update!:Change/delete the shining Vista orb during startup(before login screen) :thumbup .

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Mañana (Tomorrow) are you going to add how to stop the driver sig warnings?

I will.Be patient.These things take time.And i have to go to work too :lol: .+social life :D .

• 3 weeks later...

can i add my own programs like winrar, firefox etc i have not tried any of this im still downloading waik lol and also i have a windows Vista x64 sp1 Ultimate i would like to add winrar custom themes firefox and lots of different programs n tweaks i have not tried this sort of this stuff yet lol this seems a bit too advanced for me maybe Microsoft made very vista hard to modify! please help! :unsure:

@radigast

it's the #2 image of boot.wim,u have to chage winpe.bmp der.

on dvd boot up #2 image of boot.wim is loadded not #1

#1 is just winPE only

#2 includes the setup and WinRE

i got a conclusion,

i only get my installation backgroud custormized by modifying the spw***.dll. but,there are four of them in DVD

Change theme all ,it will change the background for 90% of the installation time .

Plus , Winpe.bmp seems to be the first background you see after "Windows if loading files"(it only last for seconds, it is very likely to be Winpe.bmp. it it better to modify it in both Directories ,i guess)

OOBE.jpg is the file ,which by the time your installation is during the OOBE part. i am gonna try it~~

Edited by shilyro