WMI Screwed Up Via BartPE, Not Via RIS

I currently use RIS to re-install computers, but this means I have to be at each computer to login.

I started playing around with BartPE and did the following:

1. copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, winnt.sif, win.iso file to C: on target PC (the win.iso is BartPE)

2. Reboot target pc, which then loads BartPE into RAMDisk

3. BartPE loads networking support and does a quick format of the C drive before calling winnt32 to begin the install of XP

This works, however, WMI is always screwed up and NONE of the fixes for WMI work

The weird thing is that if I use RIS with the same I386 source code (and almost identical ristndrd.sif file) works perfectly.

The only thing I can think of that might cause the problem is running winnt32 from within BartPE... is the install somehow taking some settings from the BartPE installed on the RAMDisk and going on to corrupt the WMI?

Or is there something in the ristndrd.sif file that would screw up WMI, but nothing else?

On the target machine, the setuperr.log file does contain the following on the computers that fail:

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Registering them manually succeeds, but WMI still can't be fixed

Anyone else come across this one before?

Richie

Edited by Richie_OLSJ