To Split a HP OEM disc

I did this cool thing which you create a windows setup disc with your i836 folder. I slipstreamed SP2 on it and it works perfectly. I can type my product key in and such. I can do clean install and remove all my software. Now what I need is the second portion of Windows... The software from HP. How can I get all the software that came with my preinstalled Media Center 2005 PC into a seperate disc so I will have one full clean install disc and one HP software disc?... Also another question is will the disc I created from the i836 folder will have Media Center in it? I believe it does... The instructions state only about Home and Pro but I will try it as soon as I make a HP software disc... Is it possible?

Thanks!

There are actually 2 cd's for MCE; first one is stock-in-trade XP Pro (with the exception of some additional drivers in I386 and in the DRIVERS.CAB), second one has MediaCenter/TabletPC software. Only an MCE key will install the MCE stuff. You also need other items in the Root of the CD(s) and the CD Boot Image (to make it bootable). You will also be lacking the additional folders found on CD1.

On that subject, look around here and Google some. There's a lot more to this subject than just the "basics", in addition to the slipstreaming of SP2 does NOT slip the MEDIACTR folders (contained in the SP2 pack). There's a special method for doing that. I can't give any more info on that since I don't have/use MCE, but I have done some reading on the subject.

As for the "additional software", some may be found under special folders on the Recovery/HP CD's and are installable, some can only be "installed" via Recovery/Reinstall and are not directly accessible (unless you know therir brand of "magic".

A good question to help you out... do you have actual CD1/2 of MCE plus one or more "additional software" CD's or just Recovery Disks? If Recover Disks, it may be possible to find the remaining items "required" on it/them.

BTW, I'm somewhat confused. Why would you slipstream SP2 on MCE2005? Doesn't MCE2005 already have SP2 components in it? Also, It looks like you have the option (during initial setup after you bought it) of selecting EITHER Home OR Pro/MCE. At least that's the way my Nephew's worked...

HTH (out...)

Edited by submix8c

Hi,

Thanks for the Fast Reply. I use this instructions from this site:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

Well I'm not a very good computer wise person, but I follow instructions pretty well :D

Well good point Media Center does have SP2 preinstalled. I believe I was told something like the I836 folder doesn't contain SP2 files...???

The disc I made using those steps; the setup.exe worked! I can type in my key and all that and install optional stuff. I just don't know if it is a Media Center 2005 or is it just XP Home or Pro (no that can't be right...). Any clarification or instruction into creating the correct disc will be appriciated!

As for the HP software... I have the recovery disc which I made from my PC. Anyone know which files to take out or the steps into possibly creating such disc? Thanks!