GPO Error cannot find path specified

gtjr92

Windows Server 2003

I am trying to edit my GPO and when I do that i get an error cannot find the path specified. I am logged in as a domain admin. I tried to restore my backup(or at least the files that I exported when I created the gpo to no avail.

They are .pol files and .adm files.

I checked my DNS and I think it is ok.

the exact error i get is

GPO: Internet_Explorer_Setting_Pol...Failed

The overall error was: The system cannot find the path specified.

Additional details follow.

[Error] The task cannot be completed. There was an error with extension [Core Extension]. The attributes of Directory Services object [LDAP://myserver.mydomain.local/cn={62A72F2C-B896-4083-A14B-79808A1D82EE},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=local] cannot be accessed.

The following error occurred:

The system cannot find the path specified.

If you browse to \\myserver.mydomain.local\sysvol, and go into the policies folder for the domain, do you see a folder called "{62A72F2C-B896-4083-A14B-79808A1D82EE}"? If you browse to \\domain\netlogon and browse into the policies, do you see this folder there as well?

No there are no subfolders that are in the sysvol\policies and I did not find any netlogon folder

I assumed it should be under C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\domain\Policies

either way i searched the drives of the server and only came up wit netlogon files no folder.

So no those aforementioend folders were not there. Something must have happened These policies have been running for a couple years on this server.

I don't know that I have a real backup but I did copy or export the files to another folder.

I have that and I created a folder in the sysvol\domain\policies\{62A72F2C-B896-4083-A14B-79808A1D82EE} among others

I was not sure where to put the netlogon folder what needed to be created under that.

I also noticed the group policy folder under windows seems lilke their are some files there too