Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Editing the Win XP menu

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
Forgive me if this has been discussed. I'd like to edit the menu that pops up when you put the XP DVD into a machine that has an OS.

The idea here is to add a menu item for "Software Install" that points to IcemanND's Install.exe that brings up a menu of items to be selected for install.

Has this been done or is it something that can be done?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gladiac

Gladiac

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
I think, this will help ya':
http://flyakite.msfn...stomautorun.htm

enjoy :)

cmsurfer

cmsurfer
  • 5 posts

I think, this will help ya':
http://flyakite.msfn...stomautorun.htm

enjoy :)

That's the one. If you use the tools listed in flyakite's guide, you'll be able to re-create the XP menu and add to it what you want. I'm not sure if you can just edit it though...

CM.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
does he really want to recreate the entire menu using Auto Play Studio Pro....
or does he really just want to add an option to the existing menu..ie...hack the current one.

my guess would be to use ResHacker or the like, and actually edit the dialog if possible.

I did it with my msgina.dll file to change some captions, but never tried to actually add something.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Geckotek

Geckotek

Slave to M$

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
Yeah, I was hoping for a way to just add a line to the existing menu. But I'll do whatever I have to.

Gladiac

Gladiac

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
Humm, try ResHacker 3.4.0, maybe you find a way to successfully edit it the way you want... if you do so, tell me :)

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
mmkay....you do practically anything with the setup.exe file except add to it.

what you could do and change one of the options you don't use, wouldn't want to use....say....Setup Remote Connection....

open up say Reshacker....and go to String 76.
edit the string that says Setup Remotee Connection to be what you want it to be.
the & determine which letter gets underlined.

then locate in one of the other string the line that corresponds with it.

i chose one of the ones in the subpages as it is easier to find the strings that correspond with it.
I didn't test whether the ones on the front page works so i dunno....

have fun with it.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN