Using a CF and ramdrive to maximize performance

odyssey5

I've puzzled a little with some ideas to maximize the XP performance to the maximum.

CF's are large and really fast lately, but I think most of them still suffer from a limited number of writes, so using them as system drives right away might not be the best solution. But combine it with a large ramdrive, you could in theory use a driver that will redirect all writes to the systemdrive to a temporary memory storage and commit changes from time to time and during shutdown.

I know that such driver exists for Linux, but was unable to find one for Windows. What do you think of the idea?

Sounds a lot like readyboost and superfetch in Vista to me... :)

Maybe, except that with Vista, the 10% boost you get is lost to the 30% slowdown you experience by running that kludge in the first place.

Maybe, except that with Vista, the 10% boost you get is lost to the 30% slowdown you experience by running that kludge in the first place.

Says he who has never had Vista installed on his system for more than a week. I've personally found that Vista is faster on my laptop than XP was.

You could use a RAM drive or a CF drive as additional pagefile or tempfile space on your XP system if you wanted. I'm not sure about the CF card, but the RAM disk would definitely help you out.

Says he who has never had Vista installed on his system for more than a week. I've personally found that Vista is faster on my laptop than XP was.

You could use a RAM drive or a CF drive as additional pagefile or tempfile space on your XP system if you wanted. I'm not sure about the CF card, but the RAM disk would definitely help you out.

Sweet! I love how all the Vista haters either don't have it or like you said, "has never had Vista installed on his system for more than a week." Reminds me of when Xp first came out.

I don't have it installed for more then a week because it still after all this time bog down my system like stick in mud. Maybe in a couple of years when we'll be running 6GHz octo-core processors with 128GB of ram, maybe, then, I'll run it.

Isn't a RAM-drive supposed to be counterproductive nowadays; less RAM free to use for the OS and progs?

Replacing the hard drive is often a wiser choice than using the money to buy some experimental solution like CF or similar.

On you guys Vista discussion: Let jcarle keep XP if he wants to, and yes, XP is probably faster for some parts. But running Vista on new hardware (no need to exaggerate) a with a few things disabled (and the system kept clean) should work just fine.

Edited by DL.

Then obviously something was wrong with your copy of XP. Either that or your laptop has a beefy graphics card to give Aero a boost, and a crap CPU to slow down XP.

I have Vista on a desktop machine, installed it myself. I am not impressed at all.

Also, you sure CF still have these limitations? Aren't they flash memory based?

And what would be the point of running the system off a CF? I think it would be smarter to put a pagefile on a CF as its used way more than the system is. And can you imagine the startup lag? When the system tries to temporarily writes itself to the CF drive? :crazy:

In my opinion, do this with a pagefile. Leave the system on a hard drive. If its not fast enough, get a Barracuda drive or a SSD and mix that with a CF.

It's the Flash memory that has limited number of writes. So placing a virtual memory file there would be the stupidest thing.

What's exactly the speed of an IDE CompactFlash (with DMA and all)? And seek times? I'm interested in this solution myself for a silent computer, not for performance cos I'm sure theres little of it.

Also, you sure CF still have these limitations? Aren't they flash memory based?

And what would be the point of running the system off a CF? I think it would be smarter to put a pagefile on a CF as its used way more than the system is. And can you imagine the startup lag? When the system tries to temporarily writes itself to the CF drive? :crazy:

The point would be to get 0ms response time and maximum performance. Currently the fastest is 40MB/s (Sandisk Extreme4), but a few in stripe should give a decent performance.

Maybe it's better to wait for real SSD to evolve. Currently they too are at 40MB/s (makes me wonder if it's the same type of flash as the newer CF?)

Well this was just an idea to speed up everything on the system drive. Based on my experiences with a striped drive, I can't imagine what a 0ms response time would do! (and I doubt that readyboost even comes close to this idea...)

@brucevangeorge

Don't want to start the "usual" flamewar between fans of pagefile and those opposed to it, but the pagefile is basically a "whatever does not fit in RAM goes here" so, having the pagefile on the FASTEST drive you can have is rather obviously the first thing to try to achieve.

Though it is possible, having enough RAM to run WITHOUT a pagefile, there are some opinions that one should anyway be present, but of course if there is enough RAM it won't be used, unless some process "goes astray" and starts eating memory, in such a setup it does not really matter where the pagefile is put as it won't be ever (or just in these rare occasions) be used at all.

@odyssey5

SSD is ALREADY here, problem is the price of it, performances are impressive, expecially for laptops, where the reduced power consumption also gives GREAT advantages in terms of operating time:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/GBMInkShowOQO...PCSSDVsHDD.aspx

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/is_a_soli..._in_your_future

jaclaz