Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Combination Home/Pro

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Guyanthalas

Guyanthalas
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
So I know enough to be ticked off, and not enough to answer my own questions...
:rolleyes:

Alright, so here is the deal. I've "Shrunk" my 2 xp installations (Home,Pro) using Gosh's Guide (thanks bud!). After staring at the directory structures for hours I decided that maybe there will be some similarities through directory structure. I ran a folder/CRC32 comparision on the two directories, and i've found that XP Pro has about 45.5mb Different stuff then home, and Home has 20mb different stuff then Pro.
Am i still with everyone?

Ok, so no big deal, i combine both I386 directories, and it merges all the files from both installations. My theory is that XP Home installation will ignore the new files it dosent know what to do with and Pro will ignore the new home files. So far so good. :)

Unfortunatly, in the folder/file comparison, I've found that there are 32 files that have the same name in both versions of windows, but different content. This poses a huge problem. Now, I think i have a solution to this problem: If i find where the "guide" is for the install files (IE: the program that tells admwprox.dl_ to copy to %WINDIR%/system32/admwprox.dll) then I should be able to have it "pick and choose" the correct files it needs.

Any suggestions on where to look for these files? If they even exist? are my efforts in vain? Thanks for the help!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

graf_morpheus09

graf_morpheus09

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 23-October 03
Why this complication? Use booth folder, and at the point on what you are readdy, made the iso with CDIMAGE! He hase parameters, which search the folders for the same files, and optimaze this. That mean, he delete all files, which are the same and take a link to this files :rolleyes:
So in practice, if you have 3 files, in each case 30 MB, so after optimisation you got 1 file (30MB) and 2 links to this file. So you save 60MB!!

Search for CDIMAGE in this Forum and you found really much information about it!!

And look at this sites:

http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/

http://www.MSFN.org/...?showtopic=9599

Hope, i could help, but i know, this is not really that what you hope to find/read :)
Dont drive faster as your guardian angel can fly ;-)

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Ya use cdimage, which will give the same result.

-gosh

Guyanthalas

Guyanthalas
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
AH! Now i see why everyone uses CDImage... I was really confused why that was the utility of choice in this forum. thank you for showing me the light!

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
cdimage is the greatest program EVER!
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users