Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

cant find 3rd part raid drivers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

voltaic

voltaic

KILL THE SPAMMERS!!

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
ok, nevermind my last post. i just now have figured out what my problem is, but not yet how to solve it.

i have a raid controller for which i need to install drivers during text-mode setup. i press f6 like i normally would and select the driver, etc. everything works fine until setup starts copying files. it then tells me that it cannot find the files for the driver that i installed just moments earlier. at this point i check to make sure i didint do anything stupid like remove the floppy with the driver, or anything else like that.

this is a problem that happens across different machines and different raid controllers. it is not the particulat floppy from which the drivers are being installed, and it is not the floppy drive from which the floppy is being read.

this occurs in a SP1 slipstreamed setup disk with no other modifications to it.

can ANYONE help me!?!?
Thanks!!!
-Sam
Voltaic's Windows Installer: Specify Windows' settings, applications to install, and tweaks to install with Windows all at runtime; a few clicks, wait for files to copy and you're done!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

raskren

raskren

I ♥ Longhorn

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Here's another request for the same info. I've had a similar problem installing ICH5R drivers during text mode.

voltaic

voltaic

KILL THE SPAMMERS!!

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
ok, maybe it might also be helpful to ask if there is anyone out there who has followed conventional slipstreaming instructions that has NOT had problems installing RAID drivers during text mode.

PS im VERY glad that there is at leat one other person in the world who has had this problem!!

-Volt
Voltaic's Windows Installer: Specify Windows' settings, applications to install, and tweaks to install with Windows all at runtime; a few clicks, wait for files to copy and you're done!

highend1

highend1
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 19-November 03
I have the same issue. I press F6 and then it will copy the files. After I Patition and format my C: drive it will copy the system file. In my case it tells me that it can't copy my Intel raid driver. I would like to know how we can fix this?

JG

voltaic

voltaic

KILL THE SPAMMERS!!

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
ok, so i kinda sorta found a workaround for this:
for some reason the line in winnt.sif

OemPreinstall=Yes

causes this problem.

setting it to "no" will fix the raid/scsi driver issue. HOWEVER, having OemPreintall=No set makes your $oem$ folder not copy over.

so... today's million dollar question to the forum is: what is it about OemPreinstall=Yes that makes scsi and raid drivers not copy over properly? does it make textmode setup look in the $oem$ folder somewhere for the drivers instead of the floppy? if you set the OemPnPDriversPath equal to something will that make it look elsewhere for the driver? Does the OemPreinstall cause some kind of temporal distortion in the voltaic-preinstall continuum?

HELP!!
-Volt

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
I just landed my self in the same position, a new SATA drive.. but installing the drivers for it gives me the same error you guy's get..

Everything works fine with my original XP Pro CD (pre SP1), but it 'can't copy' the drivers on my SP1 with hotfixes install DVD.

I'm almost sure it has something to do with the file structure as defined in textsetup.oem that comes with the drivers your trying to install, but I aint figured it out yet..

No one out there got any more info on this one ??

Kay

robnjay

robnjay

• 21 posts
  • Joined 08-November 03
Hey where are all the cranky guys on this forum who normally would yell "STF" (search this forum)?

People told me that, once not so very long ago.....

Anyway, it's not too hard to do this, but you have to roll the drivers into your unattended install, like Here.

SATA drivers (RAID or not) should work this way.

voltaic

voltaic

KILL THE SPAMMERS!!

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
right, that works if you can anticipate the raid driver that you will be using on a given system, however, i dont really have the desire to include every forseeable raid driver into my installation.

the aforementioned oempreinstall fix works for me fairly easily; if you need to copy files over just add them to an appropriate inf file using the technique gosh pointed out (more details are available on MS's website) this is fairly quick and easy if you just zip or rar up your files and include something like the winrar command line extraction utility to unzip them before the actual installation batch file executes.

anyway, long story short: the above method lets you use a floppy for raid/scsi/sata driver installation, you just have to find an alternate way to copy over "oem" files.

have fun!
-Voltaic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users