FAT32 question

footballking3420

For technogeeks or total masochists, NTFS is great, but for the great unwashed masses, FAT-32 is the only way to have 100% total control over every file on their HD, from as little as a DOS boot disk.

I've set up my own SATA2, 200 gig, HD for Windows XP-Pro with FAT-32, working from my Windows ME Utilities floppy disk.

NO Problem! XP runs just fine (probably better) on a FAT-32 partition, of any size you want.

The only HD out of a dozen or more, in my house that's in NTFS mode, is the one I just installed Vista Ultimate on.

Vista will refuse to load on a FAT-32 HD. Go figure!

Cheers!

B)

For technogeeks or total masochists, NTFS is great, but for the great unwashed masses, FAT-32 is the only way to have 100% total control over every file on their HD, from as little as a DOS boot disk.

I've set up my own SATA2, 200 gig, HD for Windows XP-Pro with FAT-32, working from my Windows ME Utilities floppy disk.

NO Problem! XP runs just fine (probably better) on a FAT-32 partition, of any size you want.

The only HD out of a dozen or more, in my house that's in NTFS mode, is the one I just installed Vista Ultimate on.

Vista will refuse to load on a FAT-32 HD. Go figure!

Cheers!

B)

I honestly have no idea why you would want to run Windows XP as FAT32. You get much more speed, stability, security and much more running as NTFS.

A SATA-II drive running FAT32 will not see anywhere near the true performance gains you receive from SATA-II.

Just do a quick Start > Run > cmd and then convert C: /fs:ntfs and you'll be amazed at the improvements.

What disks? In the most popular "zeraw" s’neriH Boot CD only selected applications can work with NTFS, or require loading of additional possibly unstable modules. For example Partition Cloning. With NTFS you cannot use PowerQuest Drive Image and are forced to use Acronis, files of wich cannot be easily browsed offline.

How can a file system gain "much more speed" is beyond me, maybe a little.

What disks? In the most popular "zeraw" s’neriH Boot CD only selected applications can work with NTFS, or require loading of additional possibly unstable modules. For example Partition Cloning. With NTFS you cannot use PowerQuest Drive Image and are forced to use Acronis, files of wich cannot be easily browsed offline.

How can a file system gain "much more speed" is beyond me, maybe a little.

No warez. WinPE/BartPE boot from CD or USB and can read NTFS no problem. And they are so much more than a DOS boot disk. Ghost32 works fine with them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to store files >4GB you must use NTFS.

If you want to set file security you must use NTFS.

If you want to have a disk that can read and write with any OS, you must use FAT32.

If you want the ability to boot from a DOS boot disk without addon software you must use FAT32.

Other than that it doesn't really matter which you use. I've used FAT32 and NTFS for drives up to 300GB and there just isn't enough performance difference to worry about. I prefer FAT32 unless I need to store large files. File security works against me and I do too many things that require a DOS prompt. One of those boot disks doesn't cut it.