Not maintained at this time
Immolator project is a betatest project. My goal is to test some applications and settings on windows 98SE to provide information for other users about some features which are still available on Windows 98Se. Minor part contains test of several hardware devices.
Software which is linked from here has been sucessfully tested on my system and seems functional. If it needs additional software upgrades it is mentioned there.
This post will contain full list of software and will include all settings which have been sucessfully tested, and if possible it will contain Link to tested software.
- classical os functions - files managing (OS + Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/
- image editing and creation (Photoshop 7.0, still no Freeware replacement available)
- image viewing (Faststone viewer, http://www.faststone.org/
- sound editing, capturing and creation (Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
- sound playing (MPC - http://www.free-code....er_Classic.htm
- Analog Video Capturing (ATV2000 - ATI VIVO, Pinnacle 300i - http://www.mikecrash...?name=Downloads
- Digital TV Viewing and Capturing (ProgDVB, Pinnacle 300i - http://www.progdvb.c...ad_progdvb.html - at the bottom version 4.85.3. KEX required)
- Video editing and creation - Virtual DUB ( http://www.virtualdub.org/ )
- Video Playing (MPC)
- teletext (atv2000 - Not functional anymore, ProgDVB - Functional, needs settings)
- internet browsing (Opera 10 - http://www.opera.com/
- mail and instant messaging via web (webicq, web email client)
- Voice communication (Ventrilo, Teamspeak)
- text and document creation (Open Office)
- Gaming (depending on HW - games seems to be most problematic types of apps. many bugs which are not possible to fix and there is no replacement for them )
Realtime multimedia processing provided by apps:
- realtime shader filtering for video (MPC: deinterlacing, color correction, embossing...)
- realtime video filtering (FFD video: actually used only for decoding)
- realtime Sound filtering (AC3 Filter: channel settings if you have generic card - http://ac3filter.net/ )
- realtime video compression (during capture) Xvid04102002-1 (640x480xRGB24 fps25 - up to 6 hours/single file depending on quality)
- subtitle filter (DirectVobSub 2.23 - http://www.free-code...load/vobsub.htm
- Reccomended Xvid/DivX video decoder - Koepi's Xvid - ( http://www.free-code.../Koepi_XviD.htm )
Multimedia processing provided by hardware:
- Hardware Mpeg Decompression - clvsd.ax - Part of Cyberlink DVD player 6.0
- Hardware AC3 Sound decompression - Creative sound card in my case
- realtime Sound filtering (Creative Surround mixer if you have creative card)
Features not available or not completed:
- NTFS/other filesystem support, best bootable
- currently available: Winternals NTFS Driver for Win98. Works but slow and buggy.
Unused hardware capabilities
- Video conferencing (app missing)
- "long list of file types for media"
- HD *720 at 30fps for this cpu
- all word and office documents
- DVD, CD, Floppy, USB 2.0, Firewire400 (800 planned)
- cinematic sound (5.1/ac3/ASIO)
- FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS drivers (not bootable, with poor performance)
- files up to 4gb.
- ATA, Parallel SCSI
- some SATA adapters
- Files larger than 4 gb
- USB 3.0
- Some SATA adapters, SAS
- Lightscribe feature
I have been working pretty hard last two years on my home PC, on HW and SW level. I want to thank all you guys which have created all unofficial updates and patches. After all there are few things which a fail to fix, so all you guys can take it as bugreport
Complete list of System updates installed as follows:
- Internet Explorer 6
- home made system.ini
- Exuberant Service Pack nSP1 (Slovak)
- home made system.ini
- VCRedist 2005 + manual install of critical DLLs
- NetFramework 2.0 (http://www.filehippo...ramework_2/496/)
- DirectX 9.0c (first edition - http://www.filehippo...d_directx/168/)
- DirectX 9.0c (nov 2007 - it seems to be last version - http://www.filehippo..._directx/3345/)
- Windows Media Player 9
- kernel upgrade for 4gb files
- Kernel EX 0.4.0
- WLL logo (removed, maybe forever)
- Revolutions Pack 9.0 (some bugs still persist)
- VCRedist 2005+ SP1
Manually upgraded/added files:
bugs already fixed/features added:
- support for XP programs
- improved system stability
- improved compatibilty
- improved performance
- support for 4gb files
- Aspi Layer
- support for 137+ gb disks
- skinning, explorer bug fixed - lock taskbar (Revolutions pack 9.0)
- "not Enough memory" fix with maxfilecache=32768
- Video decoding (FDDShow filter)
- Wll trouble (wll removed)
- browsing (Opera)
- WinME driver handling (ntkern.vxd, mmdevldr etc)
- ability to install win2k drivers (Signature:winNT, not only signature Chicago)
if those three errors shall be fixed this system will be flawless (until i find another problems ) I dont want to use other upgrade packs, i am looking for standalone solutions (as was uberskin), and i dont want to change hw. In some cases i might be willing to change programs...
1. Video Conferencing troubles (mostly driver based, partially app based)
- graphical errors in video output - hw or driver is not able to handle all the "on/off" correctly
- WDM driver of VIVO only partially usable (not working with all apps)
2. Window spam >> memory consumption >> system crash
- partially can be fixed with instances managing in apps
- design trouble deeper in system
- partially fixed or supressed. Window spam now gives error "not enough memory to run application" instead of crashing - solved by maxfilecache=32768 or less. does not help with IE.
- very individual. Games designed as XP only can run flawlessly, althought games designed for all systems are crashing constantly. This is not a system problem.
4. List of minor system bugs:
- cursor visible in 3d generated windows (games, video - fixable with mouse cage, but little bit strange solution, caused by DirectX9)
- Oblivon starts too long (can be fixed when opengl32.dll is replaced before oblivion starts and later restored)
- civilization II cannot start (reason unknown)
- nfs4 cannot start (reason unknown)
- app cannot start "newer version of windows expected" - common os check which does not refer to the reality that updated windows can run most XP apps correctly. Can be fixed thorought system?
- system not fully localized (nor english, nor slovak)
- unsolved implementation of 16bit vfwwdm capturing device
- unsolved automatical close for MPC when video/audio ends
- unsolved automatical minimize to icon for audio playing
- when driver is sucessfully installed and system requests reboot dont answer "yes". system shalll hang... Dont reboot from applet - reboot from start menu.
- CDplaying with MPC not working. Bug connected with Win98 version
Planned non crucial upgrades:
- creating "immolator" theme including loadimage, closing image, sounds, cursor and icon pack.. jeez
This is not a upgrade pack, i am only common user which is customizing its own system, but i believe my example can help us all to fix some things.
Since the bug and crash log was not maintained for some months i removed it. This topic will be updated as soon as possible and in some time i will add more usable apps and solutions here (mostly regarding to multimedia and internet browsing)
Edited by Offler, 04 November 2009 - 02:20 AM.