Is Reverse Integration *exactly* same as a clean SP1 install ?

benifin

Hi all

A quick question.

Install Method A

Lets say I D/L Vista SP1 RTM [when released] and then reverse engineer it, then burn a new install DVD and then install it on a fully clean hard disk.

Install Method B

Lets say I install Vista on a fully clean hard disk Then I D/L Vista SP1 RTM [when released]. Then I install Vista SP1.

Install Method C

Lets assume I have a M/S genuine Vista SP1 Factory DVD with SP1 fully integrated already - I dont have one but lets assume I do. I then install on a fully clean hard disk.

My Question

Putting aside the inconvenience factors, purely in terms of the final product that will rest on my hard disk, do all three Install Methods actually leave me with exactly the same installed product on my hard disk ?

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by nuhi

Yes.

With 2 remarks:

- A and B don't have updated setup routines, that may or may not be important to you, if you don't have any issues now then it's not important.

- C will probably be without the SP Uninstall backup files. That's a good thing. I was just about to do the same option for A but no point when MS releases a preintegrated ISO. Unless it's not free then...

Thanks nuhi - looks like reverse engineering then as soon as SP1 RTM hits the servers.

Having now read the how-to on the link you have on the front page, apart from taking some time, it actually seems quite straight forward

nuhi, dont know if I imagined this, but did you say on another thread that you were looking to release another Vlite update in the next 24 hours or so, or is that my [hopeful] imagination ?

All the best,

Ben

Yes.

With 2 remarks:

- A and B don't have updated setup routines, that may or may not be important to you, if you don't have any issues now then it's not important.

- C will probably be without the SP Uninstall backup files. That's a good thing. I was just about to do the same option for A but no point when MS releases a preintegrated ISO. Unless it's not free then...

So if I get this right reverse method doesn't change a thing unless you want to remove components from Vista original? In either case, you have the SP1 uninstall backup files?

But can use Vsp1cln.exe cmd before you recreate iso?. I'm asking this because i had the issue were I could not use the Fax scan folder because for some reason it had been moved (I think this is an issue if you change languages). The fix was to delete the fax folder and Vista recreates it, but after that move (I repro'd it) it takes 1:40 to get to desktop with a a quad core 64 bits (a BIT unusual if you pardon my pun :whistle: ).

The savings is most likely with the (dll hell) files Winsxs folder, yes?? :rolleyes:

Thanks Nuhi or other vLite brains here :thumbup

So if I get this right reverse method doesn't change a thing unless you want to remove components from Vista original?

If you integrate SP1 like this then you do not have to install SP1 for an hour after every OS reinstall and you can remove components from it.

In either case, you have the SP1 uninstall backup files?

But can use Vsp1cln.exe cmd before you recreate iso?. I'm asking this because i had the issue were I could not use the Fax scan folder because for some reason it had been moved (I think this is an issue if you change languages). The fix was to delete the fax folder and Vista recreates it, but after that move (I repro'd it) it takes 1:40 to get to desktop with a a quad core 64 bits (a BIT unusual if you pardon my pun :whistle: ).

The savings is most likely with the (dll hell) files Winsxs folder, yes?? :rolleyes:

Thanks Nuhi or other vLite brains here :thumbup

Yes uninstall is in manual install and reverse integration, not in the MS preintegrated.

Yes Vsp1cln will work.

Yes uninstall is in Winsxs.

You're welcome :)