Weird errors with OEM activation on HP notebook (SP1).

blerk

I made a vLite iso from the 6001.18000.080118-1840 build, x64 on my HP notebook when trying to integrate the xrm-ms file on the ISO nothing happens, when doing it manually (slmgr.vbs -ilc c:\hp.xrm-ms) i get this error:

-------------------
Windows Script Host
-------------------
Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x1AD' to display the error text.
Error: 0x1AD

Running the above command results in yet another "helpful" error:

------------------
Windows Activation
------------------
An error has occurred
You can also contact Microsoft by phone to help resolve this problem.
Code:
0x000001AD
Description:
Unable to find a detailed error description.
The facility code is: NULL (0x00)
Facility error: 0x1AD (429L)

It works fine on the plain iso and my old vLite ISO by just moving pid.txt in to \sources\ and the hp.xrm-ms file in to \sources\$OEM$\$$\System32\OEM and rebuilding the ISO with vLite. I'm using the same config to build the SP1 image, something in my config must have broken the activation, any ideas?

Other than the above issue i did not encountered any issue's using vLite on the SP1 ISO on a vLited x64 host.

blerk.ini

Maybe they did do something against the bios emulation cracks and the time stop services, i don't know. I don't think the problem lies in the the SP1 but in my config because a normal clean install of it works fine, both integrated as manually, something in my config broke it. I'm trying to narrow it down myself but it's very time consuming. I know i can just run the non-vLited version of it, but where's is the fun in that? It will give me less control, speed and free hdd space without a vLited-ISO. Also i don't want to install the SP3 inside my normal Vista, it makes me feel dirty ;) I like a clean as possible install with only the components i'm using on my system, nLite/vLite are really great tools to accomplish that. I just thought to pop the question here to see if anyone would know which component might have broken it and save me some time narrowing it down.

Edited by blerk

Maybe they did do something against the bios emulation cracks and the time stop services, i don't know. I don't think the problem lies in the the SP1 but in my config because a normal clean install of it works fine, both integrated as manually, something in my config broke it. I'm trying to narrow it down myself but it's very time consuming. I know i can just run the non-vLited version of it, but where's is the fun in that? It will give me less control, speed and free hdd space without a vLited-ISO. Also i don't want to install the SP3 inside my normal Vista, it makes me feel dirty ;) I like a clean as possible install with only the components i'm using on my system, nLite/vLite are really great tools to accomplish that. I just thought to pop the question here to see if anyone would know which component might have broken it and save me some time narrowing it down.

if I had to guess from looking at your Last Session.ini that you might need to first two..doubt System Restore is an issue.

Windows Remote Management

(WinRM) is a feature of Windows Vista that allows administrators to remotely run management scripts

RemoteRegistry

Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

System Restore (unlikely)

Also works fine here after using jroc's advice, I left both WinRM and Remote Registry in, I also dropped the PID.txt in favor of having vLite enter the serial, put the xrm-ms in the right folder and everythign was fine and dandy after install, activated and with 10GB free space vs. 4GB free with the non-vLited, both with system restore disabled (i only turn it on when needed). Thanks for the tip jroc! Will also try redxii's config, i might contact HP and get a price first, they tend to voer price those restore DVD's and also load them with crapware :blink: All drivers integrated fine and Aero works great too (on my geforce go 6150), i saw in another topic someone has problems with it. Thanks for the help!

Edited by blerk

Will do, i'll make another ISO without the 2. Maybe an option to in addition to fill out the serial could be attaching a .xrm-ms file and then have vLite put it in "\sources\$OEM$\$$\System32\OEM", not that i'm lazy, but it would be handy.. ok ok, im lazy :whistle: I've got some more suggestions for which i should post in the right thread, after reading all the previous suggestions in there.

Edit: one little minor note before i reinstall without the 2 components, i've noticed the search button is missing from the start menu (F3) still brings up the search but it's no longer on the start menu, it was there pre-SP1 with the same configs (no windows search, etc). I tried brining it back customizing the start menu via the properties but to no avail. I've attached my current config that i will install now, i will report back ASAP.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by blerk

Good that it worked out for you but let us know when you remove WinRM and Remote Registry, they shouldn't matter.

Did that and it works fine like you predicted. My guess is that if MS did anything they prevent you from importing the license after install. Or maybe block any commands issued with slmgr.vbs, anyways i'm glad it is working now. All that was needed to be done was proper preparation of the image e.g. placing the right files in the right places and to have nLite or the provide my key. All ends well!

On another side note i found that when stripping out WMP and the WMP codecs dvd and movie maker do not work anymore, they complain about a missing DLL which the name is spontaneously forgot. Maybe it is just a matter of putting that DLL in the list of things to keep, or maybe they do depend heavily on each other and some warning could be build in to vLite, tying dvd/movie maker to WMP+codecs. Or maybe this is already a known problem. Thank for your great software and support to the community here on the forums.

Edited by blerk

• 2 months later...

OK,the problem seemes to be MDAC removal(likely). or some services(not sure).Not WinRM and Remote registy(No doubt about that ,because i removed them all the time,worked fine for my Asus noteboo(Its not perfect ,of course , ,still Explorer sometimes crashes,but not often , its unlikely to

be Vlites fault,some software conflicks i guess, may you good luck)

I once had the problem,but solved now,just check my Lastsesion.in

I dont think you need all the langage supprt~~~ :rolleyes: