cannot find MCE

hello!

I have got an XPMCE 2005:

I have lost the MCE, I'm not sure when.

A few months ago I was having some problems

with my computer, and I installed XP over itself.

It could have been then.I'm not sure.

I thought it would be in,

"Add/Remove Windows Components"

it's not there;

the only thing I found in c:/ folder is "MEDIACTR"

there's a I386 folder;

when I opened this there are cab files.

In my documents I found "WXP - MCE.EXE-1"

but when I clicked on it I got a dialog box "the application

failed to initialize properly ( OXc0000135).click on OK to

terminate the application".

It's entered correctly in the registry.

the dword is 1.

I have taken a look at some of the posts,

on this site, but it seems everyone is

re-installing with a CD, I haven't got one.

I have the 2disc recovery,discs that came

with the Computer.

can someone please help?

thank you!

Property Value

Name Windows XP (Professional) Service Pack 2

Terminal Services in Remote Admin Mode

Media Center Edition 2005

Uniprocessor Free

Running on the console.

OEM Version

Activation Status Activated

Kernel Version 5.1.2600.2622

Security 128 bits

Try using the recovery disks. THose disks should restore your system to MCE.

Hello Vinodh!

Thanks for your answer;

It's on disc2 (MRMSD2_EN)

I had seen this, but I don't know what I

should do with it.

AS it is already in my hard disc.

Do you know what I should do at this point?

and how to go about doing it?

regards!

Pauline

PS I think I put this in the wrong place!

MRMSD2_EN is cd2 of a 2cd set for MCE2005. When installing MCE 2005, you should start with cd1, and the installer will then prompt you to insert cd2, later inthe installation. However, this will only occur if you use a MCE cd key. If you use a regular xp key, only cd1 will be installed and you will end up with just XP Pro installed.

When you re-installed Windows, what key did you use? The key that is printed on the Certificate of Authenticity, a sticker that should be on the side of your box, should be use for installing. If you used any other key, this could have resulted in MCE not being installed.

MRMSD2_EN is cd2 of a 2cd set for MCE2005. When installing MCE 2005, you should start with cd1, and the installer will then prompt you to insert cd2, later inthe installation. However, this will only occur if you use a MCE cd key. If you use a regular xp key, only cd1 will be installed and you will end up with just XP Pro installed.

When you re-installed Windows, what key did you use? The key that is printed on the Certificate of Authenticity, a sticker that should be on the side of your box, should be use for installing. If you used any other key, this could have resulted in MCE not being installed.

hello Vindoh!

this is exactly what I did when I reinstalled XP;

I can't remember if there was a request for

disc2,but if there was then I'm sure I did put it in.;

I did use the correct key. the Certificate of Authenticity,

The sticker on the side of the box.

this is the key I always use;

I know those files in the C:\ drive are the disc2 files;

can I do anything with them?

I would hate, to have to install XP again.

Best regards!

ps this got away from me last night!

hope you will find it now.

hello Vindoh!

this is exactly what I did when I reinstalled XP;

I can't remember if there was a request for

disc2,but if there was then I'm sure I did put it in.;

I did use the correct key. the Certificate of Authenticity,

The sticker on the side of the box.

this is the key I always use;

I know those files in the C:\ drive are the disc2 files;

can I do anything with them?

I would hate, to have to install XP again.

Best regards!

ps this got away from me last night!

hope you will find it now.

Those files are not of much use to you now. There are ways to convert an existing XP installation to MCE 2005, but this can be fairly complicated for a beginner. I know that re-installing XP might be a pain, but it might end up being your only option. I suggest that you back up your important files and docs, and consider re-installing.

Also, confirm that the COA sticker actually says Windows XP Media Center Edition. If it says XP Professional or XP Home Edition, then that would be the cause of your problem. The key for these 2 versions of windows will not make the Windows installer ask for cd2. Can you confirm that when you previously installed windows, that you used the same cd's and that Media Center was installed?

This to verify if you system was supplied with MCE installed and the attached COA for XP Pro/Home. This can happen because some PC suppliers don't always conform to Microsofts software licensing rules. I saw a PC the other day that was installed with MCE, but licensed for XP Home.

Those files are not of much use to you now. There are ways to convert an existing XP installation to MCE 2005, but this can be fairly complicated for a beginner. I know that re-installing XP might be a pain, but it might end up being your only option. I suggest that you back up your important files and docs, and consider re-installing.

Also, confirm that the COA sticker actually says Windows XP Media Center Edition. If it says XP Professional or XP Home Edition, then that would be the cause of your problem. The key for these 2 versions of windows will not make the Windows installer ask for cd2. Can you confirm that when you previously installed windows, that you used the same cd's and that Media Center was installed?

This to verify if you system was supplied with MCE installed and the attached COA for XP Pro/Home. This can happen because some PC suppliers don't always conform to Microsofts software licensing rules. I saw a PC the other day that was installed with MCE, but licensed for XP Home.

Dear Vinodh I have a very hard time posting on this site'

i have gone through your instructions, your do's and dont's,

but nowhere does it say how to post.

Everything was pre installed;

The sticker reads"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005";

These are the 2pk Recovery discs that came with the Computer;

These are the discs I used to re-install XP over itself;

The discs are labeled "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005"

Is it safe to re-install XP again?

Thanks Vinodh!

regards

Pauline

Thanks Vinodh!

regards

Pauline

Thanks Vinodh!

regards

Pauline

Thanks Vinodh!

regards

Pauline

To post, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on the add reply button. A new area will appear at the bottom of te page that will allow you to type your comments. Just below this area, is the add reply button. Just clcik on that and your post will be added to the thread.

It is safe to re-install XP:

1. Boot your PC from CD1 and let the installer start from there. You will eventually get to a screen that will allow you to delete your existing installaltion. Do this. Re-installing over the existing version is probably what compunded your problem.

2. The installer should then ask for cd2.

3. Remember, when you delete the old vesion of Windows you will lose ALL existing data. Make sure that you have backed up your important docs, music etc.

Good luck! :D