Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

GurliGebis

GurliGebis

• Members
  • 11 posts
Just to correct people who complain about companies not writing x64 drivers.
Today, to get a driver WHQL signed by Microsoft, you have to submit both a x86 and x64 version of it.

So they are forcing hardware vendors that wants their drivers signed to develop both versions :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

engert100

engert100

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
Micro$oft always creates huge learning curves every decate.
Their blue screen of death and their crashing dll-s is what keeps me employed.

For example: For years we've had c:\documents and settings\
Now in Vista we have c:\users .
Why? Because they want to annoy you. Let's just start fresh with another piece of crap software/os and let's not make it backwards compatible with the other Os-s we've shipped over the past decade.
Great! This is what keeps me employed.
So the new OS will look like Vista, but in another decade they'll come up with a whole new design which has nothing to do with the Windows we use now.

Edited by engert100, 27 July 2008 - 06:37 PM.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts

:huh: Huge learning curve? What's changed to the point where it's become difficult to use? If anything, things are getting easier for most people. For most end users, the main change is the new start menu, which now has a search box.

You mean the hardware makers and their shoddy drivers (who are causing the BSODs) are what's keeping you employed (ok, back when people used Win9x, sure, a large part of those were MS' own fault, but XP's been out for ages).

Let's just start fresh with another piece of crap software/os and let's not make it backwards compatible with the other Os-s we've shipped over the past decade.

:huh: What's incompatible? 99% of stuff works just the same, even the 32 bit apps on the x64 versions of Windows. How is it not backward compatible? It's no worse than any previous version of Windows. The only thing that's not backward compatible specifically with Vista x64 is ancient 16 bit apps. That statement is at least 100% wrong.

Why? Because they want to annoy you.

Eh? The "documents and settings" thing was the annoying thing. And the name was fairly unrepresentative (should have been more like "User Profiles"). Those long names (like "Program Files") were meant to force developers to support long file names. Now that it's solved for good, we're moving to a more sane way to name things that's easier/faster to type. What's so hard about this anyways? Naming everything "my documents", "my pictures", "my music", and my everything was also pretty lame. Besides, I wouldn't complain about something that changed only once in 12+ years if you wanna complain about change.

With computers, you'll have to learn new things every so often, regardless of who makes the OS. Linux, Mac OS and others are no different. Some people adapt to change, others try to resist it. If anything, I'd complain it hasn't changed enough (they haven't solved many issues/made many things good enough yet).

Edited by crahak, 27 July 2008 - 07:47 PM.

PC_LOAD_LETTER

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Well, I stole something else

• Super Moderator
  • 1,829 posts

Why? Because they want to annoy you. Let's just start fresh with another piece of crap software/os and let's not make it backwards compatible with the other Os-s we've shipped over the past decade.
So the new OS will look like Vista, but in another decade they'll come up with a whole new design which has nothing to do with the Windows we use now.

'huge learning curves' = shorter paths to users files
BSODs, crashing dlls = employment
Micro$oft = Microsoft

You know i hate how greedy Microsoft is. They only released Vista to get more money. Yeah we need Windows XP SP12 in 2017 before they should try to make any money by releasing a new OS! They should just stop releasing new OSes and pay their bills with magic and smiles instead of dollars. Im sure their shareholders would understand. Sure they wouldnt make any money or push the market forward but shareholders like to make other people feel good so they wouldnt mind. Releasing a new product when their previous one has only been on the market for 5 years? Now thats pointless profit mongering im you ask me.

sounds like you hate Vista but id be willing to bet youd love Windows Mojave :)

engert100

engert100

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
Wow, a lot of Bill Gates lovers here.
I don't hate Microsoft, i'm just saying that their glitchy produtcs keep me employed.
Have fun with Windows 7!

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts

Wow, a lot of Bill Gates lovers here.

In the same sense that not having irrational hatred towards this years' Ferrarri models makes you a Jean Todt lover?

Or is anyone that doesn't resist change, prefer the new ways, or plain disagrees with you automatically considered a "fanboy"?

Edited by crahak, 28 July 2008 - 07:39 AM.

dexter.inside

dexter.inside

reverse engineering guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I don't hate Microsoft, i'm just saying that their glitchy produtcs keep me employed.

That's why I love Microsoft, their mistakes are my profits :sneaky: OEMs, rejoyce!

engert100

engert100

Junior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

That's why I love Microsoft, their mistakes are my profits :sneaky: OEMs, rejoyce!

It's great. This year for example, we have to train 2000 users on Office 2007. We have to teach them that Microsoft has created a ribbon.
This generates money (because someone has to pay for training), and that's why i love microsoft and their glitchy products.
Next year: Windows 7 training.
Awesome!

dexter.inside

dexter.inside

reverse engineering guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Next year: Windows 7 training.
Awesome!

We're in for some big money, my friends :thumbup and I think we love money at least as much as Microsoft

Also, let's not forget the concept of Software Assurance itself, it's always easier to milk companies than end-users

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts

.....some people waste Microsoft's time around the world while asking witty questions and reporting bugs, this is a cause of delayed products and why they release SP's.

...riiiight, thats why they make it sooooo hard to report things, and why they have large dedicated teams just for specific bug types and OS areas etc, and umm.. cause the dev team for windows 7 are the same people who read your bug reports. . .

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Why would someone want to use vista whether it's SP1 SP2 when you can use an unbloated version of Windows 7 it comes out in 2009/10 but that does'nt mean you cant use XP till then right ?

My message to people who use Vista for the default OS..dont end of story get over it and wait for 7, some people waste Microsoft's time around the world while asking witty questions and reporting bugs, this is a cause of delayed products and why they release SP's. Hopefully Microsoft will ignore and slowly take their time needed to create this new OS instead of focusing on times + deadlines. Not only this but if your thinking of buying a computer or hardware you might have to buy more after because hardware vendors will need to support certain things within Windows 7 eg DirectX 11.

let the typing commence :thumbup

uxevangelist.net

WRONG TOPIC CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE IT TO "Microsoft Beta Discussion" ? Thanks

This website here shows some Windows 7 screenshots, would'nt microsoft want to move away from vista lol i mean why release SP's and updates on two OS (vista, Windows 7) that look-a-like as each other, does not make sense they both will do the same things obviously unless vista will be use for only directX 10 and Windows 7 will be DirectX 11..but still the OS will do the same things..no sense hm im getting way ahead of myself now.

This just annoys me.
:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
Windows 7 Kernel = Windows Vista Kernel + Despatcher Lock removed, Usermode scheduler added, Boot from VHD enabled and minwin + More. Now please tell me how you can possibly be so anti-vista and pro win 7 knowing what you now know....

blackhartct

blackhartct

• Members
  • 15 posts

Why would someone want to use vista whether it's SP1 SP2 when you can use an unbloated version of Windows 7 it comes out in 2009/10 but that does'nt mean you cant use XP till then right ?

My message to people who use Vista for the default OS..dont end of story get over it and wait for 7, some people waste Microsoft's time around the world while asking witty questions and reporting bugs, this is a cause of delayed products and why they release SP's. Hopefully Microsoft will ignore and slowly take their time needed to create this new OS instead of focusing on times + deadlines. Not only this but if your thinking of buying a computer or hardware you might have to buy more after because hardware vendors will need to support certain things within Windows 7 eg DirectX 11.

let the typing commence :thumbup

uxevangelist.net

WRONG TOPIC CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE IT TO "Microsoft Beta Discussion" ? Thanks

This website here shows some Windows 7 screenshots, would'nt microsoft want to move away from vista lol i mean why release SP's and updates on two OS (vista, Windows 7) that look-a-like as each other, does not make sense they both will do the same things obviously unless vista will be use for only directX 10 and Windows 7 will be DirectX 11..but still the OS will do the same things..no sense hm im getting way ahead of myself now.

This just annoys me.
:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
Windows 7 Kernel = Windows Vista Kernel + Despatcher Lock removed, Usermode scheduler added, Boot from VHD enabled and minwin + More. Now please tell me how you can possibly be so anti-vista and pro win 7 knowing what you now know....

i know it seems like a great idea to yell at him but he made the post in feb.. before we knew anything about 7 other than a few rumors...

eyeball

eyeball

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
LOL! sorry i did not see that :)
Oh well, my bad :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN