Why does it take so long for Vista to connect to my LAN?

gsandan

Once I login into Vista, it takes a while to get an IP from my DHCP. I have a login script to map network drives so, without an IP I can't map those drives.

• The network icon in the system tray shows the LAN cable is disconnected but, after a few moments, it shows the network is connected and the globe icon shows.
  • I even set my IP to static still Vista shows the network is disconnected but, then after a few moments Vista shows the network is connected.

I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem. Any ideas?

RE: the logon script - I have some Vista machines with broadcom NICs that do just this after coming back from sleep or first boot, and I use a vbscript to ping a known server until the machine is pingable for 5 seconds (network is up), and then move on with the logon script. If it times out after 60 seconds, I log an event to the event log and skip the rest.

Just a thought.

Once I login into Vista, it takes a while to get an IP from my DHCP. I have a login script to map network drives so, without an IP I can't map those drives.

• The network icon in the system tray shows the LAN cable is disconnected but, after a few moments, it shows the network is connected and the globe icon shows.
  • I even set my IP to static still Vista shows the network is disconnected but, then after a few moments Vista shows the network is connected.

I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem. Any ideas?

Just curious, but are you on a gigabit connection? I've noticed that on a few machines I've worked with, it would take a while for them to get an IP after plugging them into a gigabit switch/router.

It only really seems to happen upon a cold boot. My switch shows that it does have a connection.

RE: the logon script - I have some Vista machines with broadcom NICs that do just this after coming back from sleep or first boot, and I use a vbscript to ping a known server until the machine is pingable for 5 seconds (network is up), and then move on with the logon script. If it times out after 60 seconds, I log an event to the event log and skip the rest.

Just a thought.

Good thought!

Wondering if you could provide me with that script. I just want to compare my script to yours.

Just curious, but are you on a gigabit connection? I've noticed that on a few machines I've worked with, it would take a while for them to get an IP after plugging them into a gigabit switch/router.

In fact, it is on a gigabit connection. The computer is connected to a gigabit switch and the onboard gigabit NIC is Marvell/Intel branded.

Ohh, watch out for media autosense with Marvell chipsets on gigabit. I've found that forcing to 100 or 1000Mbits solves a lot of problems.

As to the script, here it is (vbscript):

Dim sTestPath
Dim intCount

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objVolatileEnv = objShell.Environment("VOLATILE")

' An UNC path here that will be available when network connection is in place
sTestPath = "\\server\share"
intCount = 1

' test on volatile environment variable to avoid running logon script
' if the user has already run the logon script.
If Not objVolatileEnv("LogonScript") = "Done" Then

Do Until objFSO.FolderExists(sTestPath)
' sleep 5 seconds
WScript.Sleep 5000
intCount = intCount + 1
If intCount = 24 Then
MsgBox "Unable to connect to network share for 2 minutes. Please notify your network administrator."
Exit Do
End If
Loop

' share/folder available on server now, so continue

End If