Customizing Windows via scripts

rkillcrazy

I've made a multi-boot DVD that works for what I needed it for. However, I now want more! Who doesn't, right!? Anyway, I have it set up to run a few scripts during GuiRunOnce that tweak a few things but there are things that I've not found any way of tweaking.

I usually set System Restore to use 4% of the disk space instead of the default 12%. Is there a way to script that via the command line or VB?

I usually make a few tweaks in the Performance settings in SYSTEM PROPERTIES > ADVANCED as well and would like to know if these can be tweaked in similar fashion.

Changing the look of the Control Panel would be nice too as I hate the Category View.

Changing what shows up in the start menu would be nice too. I normally disable My Music/Pictures and enable printers/faxes & network places.

There are more, I'm sure of it but I'm curious if I can find a way to get started with the above. I'll use reg keys, command line or vb scripts to do the job as needed. I just need somewhere to start. Let me know...

02-19-08

1644 EST

Script to set disk space

Save as SysRestore_DiskSpace.vbs

Dim Cmp :Cmp = "."
Dim Wmi :Set Wmi = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & Cmp & "\root\default")
Dim SrDsk
Set SrDsk = Wmi.Get("SystemRestoreConfig='SR'")
'-> Place Your Value Here
SrDsk.DiskPercent = 4
SrDsk.Put_

Edited by gunsmokingman

I usually set System Restore to use 4% of the disk space instead of the default 12%. Is there a way to script that via the command line or VB?

Include the following in your WINNT.SIF.

[SystemRestore]
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 4

I usually make a few tweaks in the Performance settings in SYSTEM PROPERTIES > ADVANCED as well and would like to know if these can be tweaked in similar fashion.

Changing the look of the Control Panel would be nice too as I hate the Category View.

Changing what shows up in the start menu would be nice too. I normally disable My Music/Pictures and enable printers/faxes & network places.

Download Regshot and make a snapshot of your Registry. Make all the desired changes mentioned above and make another snapshot of your Registry. Compare both snapshots to see which keys are responsible for your customizations.

:)

Script to set disk space

Dim SrDsk
SrDsk.DiskPercent = 4
SrDsk.Put_

Include the following in your WINNT.SIF.

[SystemRestore]
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 4

Download Regshot and make a snapshot of your Registry. Make all the desired changes mentioned above and make another snapshot of your Registry. Compare both snapshots to see which keys are responsible for your customizations.

:)

I'll try the script and the WinNT.sif tricks to see what I like better. I'm already using a WinNT.sif, so that may be the better way to do this. However, just to clarify, what section would the statement be placed into the WinNT.sif or is that indeed contained in its own section of [systemRestore]?

I've never heard of RegShot but I'll try that as well. I've used InstallRite before to make custom (busted) installs but I'm sure it does similar things. I'll look into that as well.

02-20-08

0908 EST

Script to set disk space

Dim SrDsk
SrDsk.DiskPercent = 4
SrDsk.Put_

I could not get this to work. I copied/pasted what you have into notepad and saved as a VBS as I've done for other VB scripts but still no joy. Are there any tweaks I should make? I see you comment(?) of "Place your Value Here" but it looks like you're using my value of 4% below that line. Enlighten me, friend!

02-20-08

0918 EST

I'll try the script and the WinNT.sif tricks to see what I like better. I'm already using a WinNT.sif, so that may be the better way to do this. However, just to clarify, what section would the statement be placed into the WinNT.sif or is that indeed contained in its own section of [systemRestore]?

You don't need the script which was posted above if you do what I wrote above. The code I posted earlier should simply be pasted in your WINNT.SIF like this; it's indeed a new section.

I've never heard of RegShot but I'll try that as well. I've used InstallRite before to make custom (busted) installs but I'm sure it does similar things. I'll look into that as well.

Regshot simply makes snapshots of your Registry. By comparing before and after you can you which Registry keys are responsible for which changes. You can then import these keys during your unattended installation to automate your changes.