BlueTooth and Server 2008

okaussie

Have Palm Tungsten T3 with Bluetooth.

Have Bluetooth Dongle from ISSC

Have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full Edition RTM x64

Problem:

Can't get Bluetooth to fully work.

Tried Widcomm drivers and no version works. Tells me the driver is missing or corrupt.

Tried BlueSoleil version 5.0.0.178 x64. Hot Sync works fine. Internet does not work.

When trying to connect the Palm gives me the error: Timeout (0x1212). I also have no Bluetooth connection in the Network and Sharing Center however my DSL connection DOES HAVE ICS turned on.

When the BlueSoleil is being accessed by the PALM is tells me that it is connected to Comm port 4. That is correct, however with no connection in the Network and Sharing Center, it eventually times out then I get the aformentioned error on my PALM.

Due to this problem I also cannot setup the Hot Sync Manager on my PALM Desktop software.

I submitted this problem on the TechNet forums without getting a response. I tried to submit to that forum today and it won't let me login. So I will try this.

BTW, IT does work on Vista Ultimate x64 with the Widcomm Drivers 5.1.0.1100. Did not need to try the BlueSoleil since the Widcomm works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think something is asmiss with Windows, like something like a feature or role is not turned on. The Wireless Service is turned on.

Bill

Have Palm Tungsten T3 with Bluetooth.

Have Bluetooth Dongle from ISSC

Have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full Edition RTM x64

Problem:

Can't get Bluetooth to fully work.

Tried Widcomm drivers and no version works. Tells me the driver is missing or corrupt.

Tried BlueSoleil version 5.0.0.178 x64. Hot Sync works fine. Internet does not work.

When trying to connect the Palm gives me the error: Timeout (0x1212). I also have no Bluetooth connection in the Network and Sharing Center however my DSL connection DOES HAVE ICS turned on.

When the BlueSoleil is being accessed by the PALM is tells me that it is connected to Comm port 4. That is correct, however with no connection in the Network and Sharing Center, it eventually times out then I get the aformentioned error on my PALM.

Due to this problem I also cannot setup the Hot Sync Manager on my PALM Desktop software.

I submitted this problem on the TechNet forums without getting a response. I tried to submit to that forum today and it won't let me login. So I will try this.

BTW, IT does work on Vista Ultimate x64 with the Widcomm Drivers 5.1.0.1100. Did not need to try the BlueSoleil since the Widcomm works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think something is asmiss with Windows, like something like a feature or role is not turned on. The Wireless Service is turned on.

Bill

Most likely the issue is your drivers, blue tooth drivers are never very good and with the changes that have gone into 2008 you will most likely waiting until the company can deliver drivers for 2008

Problem is, Palm is not going to make new drivers and the Bluetooth dongle I have is old and I have to find any drivers that will totally work with Server 2008.

Widcomm 5.1.0.1100 does work with my dongle and Vista Ultimate x64 and that is the latest version of drivers that support my dongle. I have yet to find any Widcomm driver that works with Server 2008. IVT BlueSoleil has problems and sometimes it installs the drivers and sometimes it tells me that this platform is not supported.

So far, the version I have now does allow the Hot Sync to work.

If I could just get the driver to work for the internet.

TIA

Bill

Here is where Windows sees it:

Under Manage My connections, it shows the Bluetooth but says it is disconnected or cable unplugged. No way to fix it.

Under the Device Manager, The Bluetooth Device shows up, the PAN Network adapter shows up under Network Adapters

All the com ports install

All the other parts of the Bluetooth, Ie, headphones speakers. shows up under Sound.

Shows up in the Control Panel under Programs.

Comm Ports shows up in the Palm OS Desktop Hot Sync.

Where it DOES not show up:

Network and Sharing Center

The Palm OS Desktop Hot Sync Manager (although the comm ports shows up)

I also have no Bluetooth options anywhere in Windows, like under Hardware and Sound the the control panel.

I still think it is a driver related issue or I do not have something turned on in Windows.

Bill

Server 2008 doesn't ship with a bluetooth stack at all (remember, it's a server, not a client) - you'll need to actually install a full 3rd party stack (like Broadcom's, for example) before you can even try using Bluetooth on 2008.

And it may still not work right for you, honestly.

I tried the Toshiba stack. This is the only one I have. Came up with an error about add monitor. It did finish. Then I installed Widcomm 5.1.0.1100 and still had the same problem. Error 39 the driver is missing or corrupt.

I then tried to install BlueSoleil 5.0.5.178 x64 It installed fine but have the same problems mentioned above. So I am still stuck on getting the BlueTooth to work.

This did work on Server 2003 with Widcomm 5.1.0.1100 and worked well. If you have a server and want to use Bluetooth from it to use a printer (as an example), how would you do it if it is a server and not a client. That tells me only client os's can use Bluetooth.

Strange,

More news as it becomes available, film at 11

Bill

If you have a server and want to use Bluetooth from it to use a printer (as an example), how would you do it if it is a server and not a client. That tells me only client os's can use Bluetooth.

Bluetooth printers are not enterprise-class, and just like USB printers shouldn't be used in print servers (I know you can, but you shouldn't). Not really strange.

Bluetooth devices are really for business user or home user use, thus the inclusion of a bluetooth stack only in the client. Servers need to be safe, thus, bluetooth is a potential attack vector and is not included, amongst other reasons.

Then, is there a way of making Server 2008 a client os out of a server os. I have seen numerous posts where people are turning Server 2008 into a pseudo Vista Ultimate by using the Sidebar, and other options.

I know when I was using Server 2003 I had no problems installing and using Bluetooth. I would much rather use Server 2008 because it is more rock solid and faster than Vista.

I have been doing some research on the Bluetooth issue and there are some things I am going to try this week.

I really would like this to work. I have a dual boot with Vista Ultimate x64 and could boot to sync my palm pilot so it can update my Epocrates and medical software and use Server 2008 for everything else, but that would be a pain to do.

More news as it becomes available, film at 11

Bill

I would much rather use Server 2008 because it is more rock solid and faster than Vista.
Are you basing this on RTM, or Vista SP1? Because Vista SP1 and Server 2008 are comparable, performance and stability-wise.

I have Vista Ultimate x64 without SP1

I also have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full edition x64 RTM.\

Bill

Right - Vista RTM is kernel 6000.16386, and Vista SP1 and Windows 2008 RTM are kernel 6001.18000 (If you notice your 2008 machine will report as Windows Server 2008 SP1... ;)). I'd get a copy of Vista SP1 from somewhere (or download SP1 and go through the installation) before comparing Vista RTM to Server 2008.

I think you misunderstand. I have a dual boot system with Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full x64 RTM. My Bluetooth runs perfectly with Widcomm Drivers version 5.1.0.1100 on Vista only.

What I am trying to accomplish is getting Bluetooth to work on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full Edition x64 RTM.

When I ran RC0, I was able to Hot Sync my Bluetooth and nothing else. With RTM Nothing works.

I just mentioned the Vista thing because I can dual boot between these two and my Bluetooth can work flawlessly, however I would like to get it to work on Server 2008 and just run that os all the time.

I think it can happen, I just have to wait for new drivers to come out.

It will be interesting to see if it works with Vista SP1.

TIA

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to try the new widcomm stack its up to version 6.01 with compatibility with vista, so it might work better for server 2008 than the widcomm 5 stack.

The link is at the bottom of this thread: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=437944

for some reason it wouldn't post right here.

Edited by gordon8452

Question. Will it work with my ISSC Bluetooth Dongle. Vid 1131. Everything I have read states that 5.1.0.1100 is the latest version that works with this dongle.

I also have a Trendnet TW102 dongle and have never been able to get it to work on Vista, much less server 2008. Even with using the software that came with it.

I will download the above next week and let you know how and if it works

TIA

Bill

I don't think you published the correct link.

Check it please...

Bill

I tried it and it bombed. It installed fine but I get the Code 39 your driver is missing or corrupt. Bluetooth won't see my dongle. This is with Widcomm 5.1.0.1100 which is the last version built for my dongle. I have tried the newer versions with the same error.

I do have a Trendnet TBW-101 USB dongle. I will try it. I have tried it in the past without success. The software for it installs but I can never get the dongle to work. Either with Vista Ultimate x64 or Server 2008 x64.

Edited by okaussie