WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) for Windows 98SE 1.1

Hello Joe. I installed my Fuji film camera with the software finepixviewer that was on the cd-rom I got with the camera. There was alo a ptp driver on it.

Scanner & Cameras was removed from control panel. But I opened explorer and there I could see Scanner & Cameras and I could see my the name

of my camera. When it is not connected I see add device under Scanner & Cameras under explorer.

Yes, that's pretty much what happens for me too, however, the camera fails to be recognized by the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard" (in Start/Programs/Accessories). So in effect, the WIA stuff does nothing, we are forced to use the supplied viewer software, which is bloated and cumbersome, especially when you start to fill your memory card. As for the "add device" feature under "Scanners and Cameras", this only seems to select from devices in "stillcam.inf", so my camera model isn't selectable that way, even though its driver is available via the standard "add new hardware" wizard.

Joe.

BTW, I mentioned earlier that the iTouch was mostly non-functional. I'm sure Apple have modified PTP/MTP to require iTunes. Anyway, the main use for this driver with the iTouch is to enable it to be charged, as otherwise it will just sit there connected to a W98SE machine and just ignore the 5V it's receiving. If anybody can get more useful functionality, let us know.

Joe.

Give these files a try

PTPUSB.DLL 4.90.3000.0

PTPUSB.INF

PTPUSD.DLL 4.90.3000.0

WIA is definitely out the question. Lets try to work on getting MTP/PTP working.

Heres a quote from a different website

I have been having the same problem of not being able to access the digital camera on the Iphone for several months as well. In windows the driver would not be installed and could not be found anywhere. I reinstalled itunes, reapplied XP SP3, and called apple technical support to no avail. Everything worked fine on other computers. I finally corrected this issue by copying several files from a working computer to my main computer. the files are:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbscan.sys

c:\windows\system32\ptpusb.dll

c:\windows\system32\ptpusd.dll

c:\windows\inf\ptpusb.inf

I then registered the ptpusb.dll file opening a command prompt and navigating to the c:\windows\system32 directory. The command I used to register the file was:

regsrv32 ptpusb.dll

I then right clicked on the ptpusb.inf file and clicked Install. I am not positive that you have to register the dll with windows since you are installing it, but that is what I did and it worked so I included it. That is pretty much it. I plugged the phone into a different USB slot and in windows found the correct driver and installed the phone. You might have to go into device manager and uninstall the current driver for windows to recognize the phone as a camera and for god sakes if you have a passcode on your phone unlock the phone. Now if I could only figure out what caused these files to disappear in the first place. I hope this helps someone.

Give these files a try

PTPUSB.DLL 4.90.3000.0

PTPUSB.INF

PTPUSD.DLL 4.90.3000.0

OK, the WIA package includes version 4.90.3000.1 of the DLL's, however, where do I find that INF file?

Joe.

I have found in the inf directory the following file wiafbdrv.inf from windows 98. I think wia is only for old cameras ans scanners.

Are you sure that the wia installer installs a ptp driver.

Yes, the files listed

PTPUSB.DLL 4.90.3000.0

PTPUSB.INF WINXP SP3 CD

PTPUSD.DLL 4.90.3000.0

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

OK, the WIA package includes version 4.90.3000.1 of the DLL's, however, where do I find that INF file?

Joe.

I think you get the (inf) file from a WinXP machine. I not sure because it wasn't present on any of my comps.

OK, I managed to find a copy of PTPUSB.INF (version 5.1.2600.0) at www.infdump.com, and tried this with the requisite DLL's from the WIA package.

Well, I added my Fujifilm camera's USB ID, etc. to the INF file, so basically this invoked the same 'PTP' section as for the "Generic" case. The driver installed fine, asking for the location of a DLL or two, after which the camera appeared in the Device Manager as an Imaging Device, and reported as "working properly". It also showed up in 'Scanners & Cameras'.

However, that's as far as it got. It wasn't available via the Imaging application, nor IrfanView, nor more importantly, WIA's "Scanner and Camera Wizard".

So again, WIA seems useless. PTPUSB.INF also seems useless. The only thing that's worked is the supplied Fujifilm driver with their cumbersome FinePix Viewer and Microsoft's driver that I customized here and here with their 'wmdmcmd.exe' utility.

Joe.

Edited by jds

Are you sure the ptp driver works with irfanview on windows xp. Sorry I have not tried it on XP. I know it does not work on windows 98 with

irfanview. The only thing I have seen that it supports the twain driver for scan devices. I can only select a twain source.

Are you sure the ptp driver works with irfanview on windows xp. Sorry I have not tried it on XP. I know it does not work on windows 98 with

irfanview. The only thing I have seen that it supports the twain driver for scan devices. I can only select a twain source.

I don't know what works with XP, I don't use it. This WIA package is supposed to work for 98, but I haven't figured out when/how.

Joe.

Thanks for testing jds :thumbup Looks like I won't be adding MTP/PTP drivers since they are not working.

Well, you could include the Microsoft driver that I customized and the 'wmdmcmd.exe' utility, this is sufficient for rudimentary support of standard PTP/MTP devices and is fairly small (and it works and it doesn't break TWAIN drivers).

Joe.