Innocent Devil, on Feb 28 2008, 06:56 AM, said:
1. MinWin (microkernel) and component arch on x86-64 only
more like gnu/linux - run the full kernel with a console
in minimal MinWin + cmd (or poweshell) so u need command expertise, shell scripting knowledge etc..
advantages: less mem.consumption by OS itself, more available 4 apps
ability to add components, ie if u cant live without GUI add the component "Windows explorer"
for Multimedia add components like Dx, WMP etc
for browsing add component IE (no other way if they dont make console webbrowser like lynx)
2.ability to select componest b4 install (as u said and requisite for wish 1)
3.complete independence b/w IE & WE
4. Again independent WOW64, ie if u dont plan to use 32bit apps donot install it,maybe some APIs that convert x86 procedures to execute on x86-64 .
5. Can we expect so called WinFS atleast in win 7.?
6. (Hope not) some wacky idea for wga (give a magnetic card reader and a card along with the OS Disc, if it is put and authenticated and enter u PIN then u go otherwise no go(like ATM)),
(am just kidding)
7.no server/client os discrimination (install server appliance and work as server, remove it and work as workstation)
and counting will post more when get some spark
the last one wont ever happen, ms makes to much off selling diffrent os versions for workstation and server use.
i agree with some of what you said, and for server use a mode like windows home server where you dont need the GUI installed would be handy, mainly for remote managed servers.
and to #6. for the love of god, dont give ms any ideas!!!
WGA NEVER WORKS, DRM never works, within hours of an update to DRM/WGA somebodys found a fix, at most its days and a fix/crack is found, as the first post says, ms needs to just GIVE UP the antipiracy war, sell their os at a price that geeks can afford or are willing to pay.
my vision of this as i have said b4 is thus.
offer an "geek edition" of the os's that dosnt come with ANY support other then windows updates, no phone or email support(but email bug reporting ofcorse) and offer it of ALL editions of windows, charge a nomonal fee, 30-40-50-60-75 for diffrent editions,(server not included in that price list)
if somebody who buys that edition of windows needs to call ms for support, charge by the minute or call for support, sell ms support prepayed cards at bestbuy and the like.
as to the 32 vs 64 bit argument, i agree there shouldnt be a 32bit version of the os, BUT it should support older games and apps that are made to work on nt5 and up, i have ALOT of games that i play that i wouldnt want to loose just because some foolish people dont see the value in supporting older apps.
some fetures i would like to see.
1. minwin or simlar kernal, strip out the lagacy code, use plugins/exct to support apps that need lagacy code support, allow that to be added when/if an app needs it and not be loaded other then to support those apps, like a compat libery.
2. better startup/shutdown tuning tools built into the os, msconfig isnt neerly as powerfull as i would like to see, allow the same work to be done by editing files.
3. move away from the current regestry design, move to a beos like file system that supports attributes to files that can do the same jobs as many reg settings for apps, this would make removing spicific software easyer, tho with the way windows works it would still need some kind of reg equivlant for some things.
4. like said above a mode/option to choose manualy all the stuff you want to install and dont want to install.
5. combine with above, no services enabled by default that arent needed, set them to manual like mode for services that are commonly used insted of auto, if somebody uses something alot they can choose to set it to auto OR use a wizzard(eww) to choose to set it to auto(like people who need windows image aquisition loaded on boot)
6. support for alternate gui's native, build a fraimwork that allows people to design custom gui's for windows that give the same fetures as default gui but can look totaly diffrent.
now this one is a nice idea, BUT would need some basics some people here would complain about, it would need a default REQUIERED gui like basic explorer for remotedesktop from OEM's like Dell when helping noobs(like my father), this wouldnt need to be large, infact it could be quite small and compact and could be used as a base for other gui's to sit over (like windowblinds)
7. better driver fraimwork and install/remove management, todays drivers dont remove all their CRAP when they uninstall, this causes problems, i think if ms changed how the install/remove managment is done it would help, have the manager monotor all changes the installers do so it can reverce them insted of relying on install shield, if done properly this could be a boon to all users, because it could also allow easy updates without the need to run an uninstall then clean then restart and install new drivers, updating files would be fast and simple with the proper driver manager.
thats most of my current wishes, i also would like to see better abstraction to prevent system lockups and crashes, and b4 any linux nut says that linux is imune to that, bs, i run linus/bsd on a couple systems, sometimes an app can force u to do a hard restart because when it buggers up, it takes the systemdown with it.
Oh thought of another one!!!
8. better memory managment system that can detect app memory leaks and stop/prevent them from getting worse, also would be nice if you could limmit via rclick menus how much ram an app is allowed to use