Windows 7 Wishlist!

Legolash2o

Not sure if there is a topic already like this, but just wondering what everyone would like to see in Windows 7 (this isnt any official lol)

I would like to see:

• x64 only - no "SysWOW64" or "Program Files (x86)" Just nice pure x64 native software & drivers. By the time it comes out there will be plenty of x64 software so its like there was no such thing as x86 at all.
  • Less Versions, no Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc...
  • No WGA or activation - I don't use illegal software but within a week someone always figured out a way to get passed it, so id rather microsoft spent time/money on something useful! If it works then go for it :D
  • Gaming Mode - No need to explain that one ;)
  • Installation Selection - Like Windows 98 basically, you can select the components/features you want during the installaion even seleting "under the hood" components.
  • No backwards compatiblity - So just new software will work on it. But obviously old hardware too.
  • Much less services and dependencies.
  • Tabbed Explorer - mentioned on other websites too

What would you like to see?

Edited by LegoLiam™

:unsure:

i fear that they might add one more VERSION for specifially for Gaming (:crazy: not a gaming mode but full os only for that) <_<

abt wga: due to high level of piracy for XP they designed much better protection agaist it in Vista, and is a success, if this works against piracy they just simply copy that to next ver. too.

1 & 4 may happen true with MinWin being core and add layers or apps above it

If WGA works then they should go for it, about MinWin ive read about that... have they started it from scratch? Gaming version of windows 7, actually sounds abit better but i bet they make it expensive. whats your "wishlist" for Windows 7?

Edited by LegoLiam™

1. MinWin (microkernel) and component arch on x86-64 only

more like gnu/linux - run the full kernel with a console

in minimal MinWin + cmd (or poweshell) so u need command expertise, shell scripting knowledge etc..

advantages: less mem.consumption by OS itself, more available 4 apps

ability to add components, ie if u cant live without GUI add the component "Windows explorer"

for Multimedia add components like Dx, WMP etc

for browsing add component IE (no other way if they dont make console webbrowser like lynx)

2.ability to select componest b4 install (as u said and requisite for wish 1)

3.complete independence b/w IE & WE

4. Again independent WOW64, ie if u dont plan to use 32bit apps donot install it,maybe some APIs that convert x86 procedures to execute on x86-64 .

5. Can we expect so called WinFS atleast in win 7.?

6. (Hope not) some wacky idea for wga (give a magnetic card reader and a card along with the OS Disc, if it is put and authenticated and enter u PIN then u go otherwise no go(like ATM)), <_< (am just kidding)

7.no server/client os discrimination (install server appliance and work as server, remove it and work as workstation)

and counting will post more when get some spark

1. MinWin (microkernel) and component arch on x86-64 only

more like gnu/linux - run the full kernel with a console

in minimal MinWin + cmd (or poweshell) so u need command expertise, shell scripting knowledge etc..

advantages: less mem.consumption by OS itself, more available 4 apps

ability to add components, ie if u cant live without GUI add the component "Windows explorer"

for Multimedia add components like Dx, WMP etc

for browsing add component IE (no other way if they dont make console webbrowser like lynx)

2.ability to select componest b4 install (as u said and requisite for wish 1)

3.complete independence b/w IE & WE

4. Again independent WOW64, ie if u dont plan to use 32bit apps donot install it,maybe some APIs that convert x86 procedures to execute on x86-64 .

5. Can we expect so called WinFS atleast in win 7.?

6. (Hope not) some wacky idea for wga (give a magnetic card reader and a card along with the OS Disc, if it is put and authenticated and enter u PIN then u go otherwise no go(like ATM)), <_< (am just kidding)

7.no server/client os discrimination (install server appliance and work as server, remove it and work as workstation)

and counting will post more when get some spark

the last one wont ever happen, ms makes to much off selling diffrent os versions for workstation and server use.

i agree with some of what you said, and for server use a mode like windows home server where you dont need the GUI installed would be handy, mainly for remote managed servers.

and to #6. for the love of god, dont give ms any ideas!!!

WGA NEVER WORKS, DRM never works, within hours of an update to DRM/WGA somebodys found a fix, at most its days and a fix/crack is found, as the first post says, ms needs to just GIVE UP the antipiracy war, sell their os at a price that geeks can afford or are willing to pay.

my vision of this as i have said b4 is thus.

offer an "geek edition" of the os's that dosnt come with ANY support other then windows updates, no phone or email support(but email bug reporting ofcorse) and offer it of ALL editions of windows, charge a nomonal fee, 30-40-50-60-75 for diffrent editions,(server not included in that price list)

if somebody who buys that edition of windows needs to call ms for support, charge by the minute or call for support, sell ms support prepayed cards at bestbuy and the like.

as to the 32 vs 64 bit argument, i agree there shouldnt be a 32bit version of the os, BUT it should support older games and apps that are made to work on nt5 and up, i have ALOT of games that i play that i wouldnt want to loose just because some foolish people dont see the value in supporting older apps.

some fetures i would like to see.

1. minwin or simlar kernal, strip out the lagacy code, use plugins/exct to support apps that need lagacy code support, allow that to be added when/if an app needs it and not be loaded other then to support those apps, like a compat libery.

2. better startup/shutdown tuning tools built into the os, msconfig isnt neerly as powerfull as i would like to see, allow the same work to be done by editing files.

3. move away from the current regestry design, move to a beos like file system that supports attributes to files that can do the same jobs as many reg settings for apps, this would make removing spicific software easyer, tho with the way windows works it would still need some kind of reg equivlant for some things.

4. like said above a mode/option to choose manualy all the stuff you want to install and dont want to install.

5. combine with above, no services enabled by default that arent needed, set them to manual like mode for services that are commonly used insted of auto, if somebody uses something alot they can choose to set it to auto OR use a wizzard(eww) to choose to set it to auto(like people who need windows image aquisition loaded on boot)

6. support for alternate gui's native, build a fraimwork that allows people to design custom gui's for windows that give the same fetures as default gui but can look totaly diffrent.

now this one is a nice idea, BUT would need some basics some people here would complain about, it would need a default REQUIERED gui like basic explorer for remotedesktop from OEM's like Dell when helping noobs(like my father), this wouldnt need to be large, infact it could be quite small and compact and could be used as a base for other gui's to sit over (like windowblinds)

7. better driver fraimwork and install/remove management, todays drivers dont remove all their CRAP when they uninstall, this causes problems, i think if ms changed how the install/remove managment is done it would help, have the manager monotor all changes the installers do so it can reverce them insted of relying on install shield, if done properly this could be a boon to all users, because it could also allow easy updates without the need to run an uninstall then clean then restart and install new drivers, updating files would be fast and simple with the proper driver manager.

thats most of my current wishes, i also would like to see better abstraction to prevent system lockups and crashes, and b4 any linux nut says that linux is imune to that, bs, i run linus/bsd on a couple systems, sometimes an app can force u to do a hard restart because when it buggers up, it takes the systemdown with it.

Oh thought of another one!!!

8. better memory managment system that can detect app memory leaks and stop/prevent them from getting worse, also would be nice if you could limmit via rclick menus how much ram an app is allowed to use :)

Make the destroy cross finally work like one.

In other words normal shutdown should be alt+f4 or menu and destroy should be just destroy. Just wipe the entire memoryspace of the app right away.

Make it a ring 0 or hypervisor funktion so an app or driver can't interrupt this action.

After all, it worked well on Solaris in the 90:s so it's time that we get it right too.

why not plug and play os like linux you will insert sd card and you pc will boot direct in to windows 7

it will be better than wga and the sd card will not store any thing your setting will be store on your

HDD or SSD (solid state drives) so if your pc gets infected by virus your windows wont get infected

and there wont be activation they will have user name and password (like eset nod)

also the motherboard will have a slot for sd cards like you insert an graphics card

then there wont be any piracy at all

what do you think ? do you like my ideas :thumbup

I've alwyas thought of something like that :D, but it can be updatable... like you can set it to how you want and then once you've done (it becomes read-only) if that makes sense, lol. But nice idea.

Edited by LegoLiam™

1. 'unsigned' theme support out of the box. (ideally this would be like the gallery for sidebar clutter)

2. logon screen and boot screen customization (ability to bundle with the theme would be nice too)

3. ability to modify flip3d/minimize/maximize effects (bundling with themes/online gallery would be a nice touch)

4. native ability to change shortcut arrow for all shortcuts and ability to disable either per shortcut or all

5. always display the largest icon available for every icon. icons should never be scaled up always scaled down. implementing a gallery for this would be awesome (image if you could search online icon libraries natively)

6. better dual monitor support (MS should just buy the company that makes ultramon and roll it into 7)

7. remove every single 'access denied' prompt and replace it with an escalation prompt (UAC-like for home users, Username/password for domain)

8. allow an option for the 'All programs" menu to pop out of the start frame without haing to revert to the win2k style menu

9. make webdav work like it did in XP (wait i take that back i would prefer that it work properly)

10. ok Microsoft, blue is your thing. I understand that. just because you enjoy parading around in baby blue everything doesn't mean everyone else does. the only thing that youve skinned in the last 10 years that doesnt look like the boys section of a Babies 'R' Us exploded all over it is WMP11. Aero was a step in the right direction but i still have to hack 100 freakin' .dlls to rid myself of all the **** baby blue.

Awesome. like most 'give your idea' threads I respond to, I started off constructive and end up ranting like a lunatic by the end of the post. Im making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

1. A partition structure similar to Linux, i.e. OS, Programs, Profiles. If you have to reinstall the OS then you simply can without losing your profiles or programs
  2. Better licensing, KMS is good but I shouldn't have to create twice as many images simply to please your anti-piracy requirements. Either allow multiple syspreps with rearm or allow the CMID key to be unique when using the -norearm switch in the unattend.xml file. Not everybody can use Microsoft Deployment and have nice cool unattended installs of every program.
  3. If the current Windows server administration tools don't work with Windows 7 then release some that do at the same time as Windows 7. I don't ever want to see a repeat of this again "we'll release Server 2003 adminpak for Vista shortly"... yeah, it's been over a year now guys. Sure there's a hack to get the pack to to install but it's still unacceptable.
    Likewise with Group Policy Management Console, if you're going to take tools out with the installation of a service pack then provide the installer for it at the same time as the pack is released. It doesn't need to have added features and functionality, you can do that later. We shouldn't be deprived of functionality.
    Sorry gone off track a bit there (it's a bit of a sore spot). Anyway
  4. Video playlists for Media Center would be great. You have them for music so why not video?
  5. Less versions, perhaps drop Home Basic and keep Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. Companies were selling dirt cheap PCs with 512Mb RAM and Vista Home Basic. The OS ran like a dog with a loaded AV and Microsoft gets the blame
  6. An enhanced network diagnostic tool would be nice, I remember testing the current one and managing to fool it by having a good IP but rubbish DNS server entries. It thought the Internet was down and suggested using DHCP. It should be simple enough to ping test a known IP, then test the DNS equivilent. You could really be clever and see if you can check the local and international link
  7. A nice installer where I only ever need to pick my country once and from that the default options for other things (timezone, dictionary, etc) are based from that choice. Obviously many countries have multiple time zones but for that simply jump to one of them.
  8. A search function for things like Group Policy and Windows AIK options would be good, the features are there but they can be a right pain to find sometimes
  9. The ability to run .NET programs in WinPE, things like system.io and system.network (or whatever it is) would be nice.

That's all I can think of for now. I can't remember if Vista does all of point 7 or just some of it. I'm sure it's better than the XP, 2000 etc installer but don't recall it basing everything on it.

* No backwards compatiblity - So just new software will work on it. But obviously old hardware too.
Do you always contradict yourself? Windows supports old hardware because they include a ton of drivers on the disc for old hardware. Considering how diverse the PC industry is, this is a great thing. And all these legacy drivers work great too.

Perhaps what you really want is to break backwards compatibility with old Windows applications, ala Mac OS10. Then when you try to execute an old program, it makes use of VirtualPC to run a Win95/98/ME session in a Window (minus the bootup and such). This would be a great thing for people that only use new programs as they'd have a leaner and meaner Windows, but a curse to those who run old programs because it means you need to tack on an extra 32mb block of ram for each legacy program.

MS just won't go this route, because the Win9x support is free, all the old DLLs are still here, Windows 2000, XP, Vista merely build on top of them. So it would take LOTS of work to remove something that isn't broken for a very small gain. Heck, even .NET builds upon old parts of Windows uses various abstraction layers, so even new apps are legacy apps. Removing the Win9x stuff would break EVERYTHING.

* Less Versions, no Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc...
Ok so then you only want to pay deluxe prices? Although what I don't like is the fact that Home Basic doesn't include the 3d UI which was suppose to be (and isn't) a big deal and it was the core part of their WOW advertising & tv commercial.
* No WGA or activation - I don't use illegal software but within a week someone always figured out a way to get passed it, so id rather microsoft spent time/money on something useful! If it works then go for it :D
WGA prevents mom & pop thieves that don't know any better, which probably account for 90% of piracy. At the very least, it stops corner store PC shops from installing the same copy of Windows on every PC they sell. So while it won't stop intelligent thieves, it still works great.
* Gaming Mode - No need to explain that one ;)
DirectX10 and Vista already do this, I recall reading that Vista will suspend certain services when in full screen DX mode.

Now for my list:

• More visually impressive and functional use of Aero (3d UI), heck, at least OS10 added a reflection to their icon bar
  • Performance improvements... but that comes anyway for free via faster CPUs and cheaper ram, so MS doesn't need to do anything here
  • SQL based file indexing (what Vista was suppose to have originally) /w metadata tagging, true soft links (Unix style)
  • The delivery of half of the stuff that were in the Vista conceptual videos they posted back in 2003 (shared internet surfing, and shared Office so that students can work together from separate computers, and I'm not talking about remote desktop)
  • The ability to un-install services, at least 3rd party ones, as imho services are the newest way for trojan-ware to infect your system, and soon spamware.

Edited by TravisO