$OEM$\$$\$Docs\user\Desktop\a_folder does not

hi,

I want to put a_folder on my desktop with unattended..my computer name is "XP" on winnt.sif

as the title I put my folders..but when windows install finish a folder created called "user.XP" on my documents and settings folder..

how I make this true..?why he put "user.XP" folder instead of "user"..

edit:edit title for adding copy

Edited by alper60

I am not sure, but I believe that when a folder already exists when Windows XP is installed, it will treat it as a user folder from a previous Windows installation. If you install Windows XP over top of itself--and create a new user account with the same name as an old user account--then old user folder is usually renamed some how. I believe Windows does this because the SID of the users are very different an cannot be migrated from installation to installation.

your user account and directory do not exist yet at the time that the files would be copied to the hard drive when using the $OEM$ folder. Then a 'USER' folder would be created. When later in the install the actual 'USER' account is created and the profile directory structure is made windows sees the existing 'USER' folder and thinks it is an existing account profile but since it is not related to the account being created it will create a new profile appending the computer name to the end of the profile directory 'USER.XP'

You see this frequently on machine which have been joined to a domain after the machine was used by someone with a local account with the same login name as the domain login and the profile wasn't moved/merged you will have 'Username' and 'Username.domain' folders created for each profile with the same name.