Windows NT 4.0

Ixeon

a 32bit NT-based OS can see up to 4GB of RAM, if the motherboard supports it. Driver support ended some years ago by pretty much all vendors (including nVidia), and most newer video cards (including the one you question) do not have drivers specifically for NT4 anymore. Windows NT will see dual-core processors as separate processors (as Windows 2000 did), up to 2 cores, I believe. I haven't tried it in a few years, honestly, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

For example, there are unofficial win9x drivers for GF 7x and 8x, and I want to find for NT 4.0

And will NT 4.0 see all 4 GB of ram, or only 3.25 gb?

NT will see what the BIOS says is not reserved. Therefore, if the BIOS reserves 768MB of RAM, then the OS will see 3.25 of 4GB. This is well documented here and elsewhere, so please use the search functions in the future.

As to video, the 9x drivers are far easier to write as they have direct access to the hardware - NT and it's kernel and HAL make it harder to write "unofficial" drivers, although it can be done if a dev wants to do some reverse engineering to figure it out. However, the previous universal driver link above is your best bet for now.

Remember, use search ;).

I routinely run NT 4 for testing purposes in a Virtual Machine (which happens to be dual core and I specify two processors, though really, that's totally irrelevant). The reason I am posting though is to give you a great NT resource, Bearwindows' site; he's an MSFN'er but rarely posts here. That'll help you get started off on the right foot.

...he's an MSFN'er but rarely posts here.

Not so rare as you think.

BTW, I has a success installing NT4 onto Intel® Desktop Board DQ963FX ( http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DQ963FX/index.htm )

1) For IDE/SATA - I use Alter's UniATA ( http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/ ) - it supports ICH8 in LEGACY mode

2) For Intel Video I use VBEMP ( see my site ) or SciTech SNAP Personal Edtion - http://my.scitechsoft.com/navigate.php ( you must register to get free driver )

3) PhoenixAPM for software power off ( see my site )

4) Digi /Ionetworks/ USB for USB ( see my site )

• 4 months later...

Another recently get new configuration has a success running Windows NT 4.0

M/B INTEL DG33FB (OEM) Socket775 <G33> PCI-E+SVGA+GbLAN+1394 SATA ATX

4DDR-II<PC2-6400>

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 BOX 3.16 GHz/ 6Mb/ 1333MHz 775-LGA

Kingston <KHX6400D2LLK2/2G> DDR-II DIMM 2Gb HyperX KIT 2*1Gb <PC2-6400> CL4

HDD 250 Gb SATA Seagate SV35.2 <3250820SV> 7200rpm 8Mb

Remarks.

1. Drivers : UniATA ( ICH9 legacy ) + VBEMP NT4 ( G33 ) + Digi Ionetworks USB.

2. Installation type : copy installed OS hdd image from Virtual PC 2004.

3. Hal type : Standard PC