Can't play certain types of video clips

adrian2055

Hey guys......me again,

I'm having some issues playing certain types of videos. Everytime I play a mpeg, wmv or flash video (flv) with either RealPlayer 11 or Windows Media Player 11 it goes very slow and freezes up frequently. I've only had this problem since I upgraded from xp to vista. I wouldn't expect a video to freeze up with 2GB of ram in my laptop. Is there a way to stop this.....besides getting rid of realplayer. I know most people hate it, but It's been my prefered player for years and I use it to save flash videos from a lot of websites. I don't really care about windows media player since I don't use it very often. I just want RealPlayer stable enough to play my videos since it's the one that can save and play flash videos. Any advice?

Also, Is the size my page file set correctly? I have it set between 3-4GB. Is that too much for vista or does it need to be maxed out (4GB)?

Edited by adrian2055

Thanks nitroshift! ffdshow solved my problem. I can play them without any problems now. :D:thumbup

Seems like you've got your problem fixed already, but just another tip for you if something else like this happens: lots of times this kind of thing happens when your computer is low on RAM or video memory. Since you upgraded from XP, it's entirely possible that those things are getting more eaten up than usual. You may benefit from expanding your RAM and video memory for peak performance :yes:

Thanks nitroshift! ffdshow solved my problem. I can play them without any problems now. :D:thumbup

Seems like you've got your problem fixed already, but just another tip for you if something else like this happens: lots of times this kind of thing happens when your computer is low on RAM or video memory. Since you upgraded from XP, it's entirely possible that those things are getting more eaten up than usual. You may benefit from expanding your RAM and video memory for peak performance :yes:

Hey LukeSkillz :hello: ,

That was the main reason I had to make this post. I had already tried that. When I had XP Pro I only had 512MB Ram and I upgraded to 2GB Ram when I went to Vista Business. That was what was confusing me. I couldn't figure out why my videos were freezing up with 2GB Ram.