Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Do You Play Guitar?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Play Guitar? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you play Guitar?

1. Voted Yes (13 votes [34.21%])

Percentage of vote: 34.21%

2. No (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. No, But I want to learn (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

4. I'm a guitar god (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
Well Ive been playing guitar for a few months, I play Electric, I have a Fender Fat Strat HSS (Single Coil, Single Coil, Humbucker) thats why they call it a fat strat cause of the nice sound. I know how to play to play like 6 songs :) I think I was meant to play guitar, I use to play a little like 7 years ago, but I never touched one since then, I also want to have 2 more guitars maybe one this year and one next, not sure.

But I was wondering is there anyone on the forums that play guitar?

Please post like how long you've been playing and what style you play and just for fun what kind of guitar(s) you have. I'm just wondering if anymore geeks around here play guitar too.

Thanks!

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

FAT64

FAT64

• PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
OK, so maybe not quite a Guitar God, but I have been playing for more years than I care to remember. Had lessons from two excellent guitar teachers, played with multiple bands. I own a Gibson Les Paul and Tanglewood roundback acoustic. I keep meaning to buy a 12-string. :whistle:
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
When I started playing guitar I knew that this is what I wanted to have for like a hobby or you know, it just felt right.

I always wanted to buy a SG or LP they do feel good :) but I also do like my fender and the Alder body looks. But I do want to own a SG and LP too :P maybe over the years I can buy one of each.

Desktop: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8ghz || G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133 || ASUS P8Z77-V LK || 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD || 640gb WD SATA HDD || Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Corsair TX650M || ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner || Fractal Designs Arc Midi || Windows 7 64-bit 

Nerwin

Nerwin

Photographer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
I'm about ready to give up playing the guitar, I don't think I am doing it right, since I can't really afford to have a guitar teacher. Blah, Just been having a hard time playing it.

iamtheky

iamtheky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
hogwash, it should be an outlet for your creativity which would not have a correct or incorrect. I probably wouldnt listen to the songs i wrote, but those i wrote them for enjoy them. Ghey as that is look up overhand style or the dude with no arms playing with his feet (open tuning at its finest), there are plenty of original ways and means to get pretty sounds out of a 6 string box.

Its a little selfish to not let me hear your music because you didnt write it :whistle:

edit: I suppose you can go listen to my schysse acoustic one-offs as well to gather inspiration from others mediocrity.

www.iamtheky.com

Edited by iamtheky, 27 May 2009 - 02:28 PM.

iamtheKy

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,263 posts
Uh, Nerwin, it takes time, patience, and a mess of chord books of your favorite bands to learn guitar. Don't give up and play till your fingertips hurt (I did...). It'll come to you naturally later.

Go here -
www.myspace.com/andjustus4all
to listen to me pickin' on a bass. :P
Heck, I lost the tip of my index finger and still have occasion to pick a little (3-finger of course...).

Trust me, when you get in a "mood", the guitar takes you to another realm, kinda like programming does for many. Besides, it'd be a shame to let a good git-fiddle go to waste! ;)

Edited by submix8c, 05 January 2009 - 03:23 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
No, but I used to play drums (but that option is not in the poll).
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,766 posts

Donator

I chose no, but I used to. I did learn some classical guitar and also used to play an electric bass. Those were in the "days of long ago" and I don't think I remember anything about playing it. Let me say that while I was able to play the guitar ok (I'm more of a keyboard person really) I can't play guitar hero for the life of me. I can't seem to get both of my hands to do what the game says for me to do. Like I am out of sync. The motions in that game feel very foreign because I am thinking like I am playing a guitar and it doesn't work lol.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Redhatcc

Redhatcc

Advanced Member

• 366 posts
i cant say i do sry... but i have alot of beach bum friends of mine that do :P

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,766 posts

Donator

I forgot, I'm pretty fierce on the air guitar. :lol:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

g-force

g-force

Tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
Started at the age of 12 in 1978 playing an old acoustic-guitar i found in the cellar - my father bought it in 1957.
Just 4 strings were left, and a band called "The Police" started their career. After watching them on TV
the first time I knew this what I want to do: Playing Bassguitar - maybe for the rest of my life.

I`m playing my Fender Precision (build in USA, `76) for about 15 years, and I will never change.
I also play Electric & Acoustic Guitar about 25 years, but Bass will always be my favourite.

You may visit my band "BlueTales" on MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/bluetales

With best regards from Germany, g-force (Gunnar)

g-force @ Win-Lite.de
Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders,
do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP.
Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit.

gamehead200

gamehead200

SEARCH!!! SEARCH!!!

• Super Moderator
  • 7,039 posts
Does Guitar Hero and Rock Band count? :P

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,766 posts

Donator

Does Guitar Hero and Rock Band count? :P

Only if that Aerosmith game at the arcade does. ;)

Edited by Tripredacus, 17 February 2009 - 08:10 AM.

msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

gUiTaR_mIkE

gUiTaR_mIkE

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

I'm about ready to give up playing the guitar, I don't think I am doing it right...

Nerwin, it has been a little over a year since you posed this question - I hope you stuck with it.

I have been playing since I was 15 or so, many moons ago, and it is a truly rewarding hobby to have, I would argue better
than sitting in front of a monitor. I will also say that a poorly setup guitar can stifle any creativity (get your guitar setup properly
for your hands - action, string size etc). Learn to tune it up and always tune before you play, and wipe your guitar down after
every session ( 5 minutes or 5 hours - keep your guitar clean ). Did I mention keep the strings new, I would change mine about
every 5 days when I was playing alot, now about every 3 weeks - old strings just plain suck to play on.

Learn to properly "warm up" before you get crazy trying to play like your favorite guitar hero, using chords and scales is a great
way to warm up (and learn them at the same time).

Like a few in here have mentioned, a good guitar teacher is great to have, but a bad one is worse. If you can't find a teacher,
get a DVD with a few sections on "technique" - good "technique" (hand placement on fretboard) isn't a must, you know, the way
trained classical guys play, but bad technique can lead to pain in the hands and wrists, this is a bad thing.

Finally, start learning a few easy songs you like to play, (songs are generally segmented - learn each segment one at a time, and
then put the pieces together - what I call playing thru without stopping).

...And Have Fun :thumbup

Mike
Mike :)

cyberformer

cyberformer

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
I love to use an old acoustic, when I sit before the PC and sing love songs to Win 98Se!!

Seriously though, I like finding electric guitars at pawn shops, and I also Like the old Crate amps that were made in the USA. That's right, I like Crate amps!

I engage in Heavy Metal! I am always experimenting in trying to get the ultimate metal tone!
Doom metal, yes---absolutely!
Do not knock the Grunge pedal till you've tried it---are my words of advice.

mrquincy

mrquincy

• 41 posts
I play piano, guitar, keyboard, bass, and drums...but I'm also a hobbyist producer transitioning into professional studio production. Much to my dismay, I'm arranging a song by a crap band for an indie film directed by an Emmy award winning compositor (the green screen guy). It's a bittersweet deal...I'm not supposed to release any details at all so believe it or not. Ha

As far as learning guitar...In my professional opinion, if you "learn" to play other peoples songs, that's fine, but you haven't learned guitar until you have expressed your feelings using the instrument in a unique way. Same goes for "guitar teachers". Anyone who says that there's a specific "way" to learn guitar is contributing to the annihilation of music as an art. I have never taken a music lesson, opting for art classes throughout high school and business classes throughout college...I don't feel that I have many songwriting peers local to my hometown, even among classically trained friends. All it takes is the patience to make some HORRID noise for 6 months until you start to find sounds (chords and progressions) that you like. If you like what you do, then you're doing it right. If you keep doing it that way and if someone notices your music, maybe you're good. That's part of how things work anyway.

I think if more musicians were visual artists first they would have a deeper appreciation for instrument technique...When you paint you don't read a manual...you paint and learn what you like...then paint again. Same with guitar.

I'm glad to see some fellow "geeks" getting excited about music :) !!!

EDIT: Just to note...I disagree with almost EVERYTHING guitar mike said. His detailed analysis is EXACTLY the reason music is a commercial machine and not an art form any more. I've written some of my best songs on guitars with old strings...and one particular song on a guitar that was MISSING a string. The absence of the string forced me to play the tune in a different way using a different string...and changed the song all together for the better. My guitar is dirty. Real dirty. But you can't hear the dirt for christ sake.

Edited by mrquincy, 01 May 2009 - 02:59 PM.

iamtheky

iamtheky

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

My guitar is dirty. Real dirty. But you can't hear the dirt for christ sake.

true that, Mr. Montgomery makes a strong argument that the dirt and scratches make it better.

iamtheKy

gUiTaR_mIkE

gUiTaR_mIkE

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
mrquincy, your analysis of both my post and music are incredibly uneducated and simplistic, and I could only imagine the
quality of musician your ideas would create.

Your comment of the machine of music give you away - my post spoke to nothing more than what is needed to become and
stay a healthy musician, nothing about the music itself. I have had to deal with folks of your opinion that can't improvise,
comp, transition from one key to another, but think they have music locked down while barely communicating anything
musical.

Next time, why don't you speak for yourself and not flame another for their opinion.
Mike :)

mrquincy

mrquincy

• 41 posts
Mike. Here's my music: http://gbadmin.garag...edogfaceavenger

Let me know if you think the song "Rainbow Elephants". This is the quality of musician my ideals created. We didn't have any formal education when we wrote and recorded this last August.

Of course my argument is uneducated. My argument is that standards don't matter, it's about musical output. Education requires standards. There is no standard structure that is required to produce a quality piece, Rainbow Elephants is an example of this.

Do you honestly think Delta Blues artists like Mississippi Fred McDowell, Robert Johnson and Mississippi John Hurt had any kind of clue as to how to transition from one key to another using "educated" terms? Muddy Waters wouldn't have been able to play what he played without their influence, and without Muddy Waters...rock simply wouldn't be what it came to be during the 1960's through the 1980's. I think most people agree...these guys were important to what music has become. Did they successfully compose original music without necessarily knowing the ins and outs of composition? Absolutely, completely groundbreaking.

Edited by mrquincy, 27 May 2009 - 02:37 PM.

pm*

pm*

MSFN Patron

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
i want to learn it

i already know it little such :rolleyes:

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
Yep, for over 15 years. I own three 6-string acoustic ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN