Changing the top AD domain

Deman

Hi there,

I'd like to do some simplifying of our domain setup (fully server 2003 btw).

Currently we have two domains, Administration.local and ITD.local. Administration.local being the first to be made (which if I've read correctly is the forest root domain?), ITD.local is the student learning domain

Originally the two were created in case the students in their labs accidentally deleted accounts or whatever from ITD, but they never did and since I've learnt about delegated authority they no longer can.

What I'd like to do is try and simplify things by removing the Administration domain and subsequently give ITD as many controllers/secondary controllers as I can. It'll also tidy up things like user accounts, groups, trusts etc.

I've tried looking around on Google but armed with only a description of what I want to do and not really any terminology I'm not exactly getting very far so can anyone help point me in the right direction, or know whether what I want to do is even possible?

Cheers :)

Well, you can rename root domains (although it's not something to be done lightly), but you can't actually delete them without deleting the children. Your best option would be do consolidate the objects in the child domain into the root, if you only want one domain, and then decommission the child domain.