Automatic change path of My Documents

Is there a way to change the default location for My Documents to reside on another partition?

I want to change the default location to my documents for new profiles to be D:\%UserName%\My Documents.

I have tried changing

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

and

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

But they dont support variables (namely the %username%-variable) so I'm still lost to how to attack this.

The idea is to create different folders for my documents on the D-drive for automatic synchronization via Allway Sync later on.

So I should change and mofify both those places, but the User Shell Folders instead?

At what time would I apply these settings? Just before I copy the user profile to Default User?

Is the attached reg-file correct? (ignore the localised words of course)

Maybe its just late, maybe I'm stupid - I was sure this would be a walk in the park to figure out but I was so wrong :blushing:

edit: and yeah, the reg keys are REG_EXPAND_SZ according to regedit

edit2: Thanks to my curiosity and the fact that I had never heard that REG_EXPAND_SZ had any specific meaning I googled it and found this:

http://helpnet.macrovision.com/robo/projec...istryExpand.htm

Thanks to that I now know that the previously posted reg-file is incorrect!

But I didn't quite understand how I would input the correct variables in the reg-file, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to edit it to?

The exported result of registry entries with variables just give me hex-output :unsure:

Is there a way to input it in clear-text or do I have to export the correct entries in hex / use REG.EXE to import it?

mydocuments.reg

Edited by Ralin