HFSLIP64 v1.1.5 released

Tomcat76

The MRT is typically installed at the svcpack level (i.e. not slipstreamed). You don't need that MRT software, unless your goal is have a bloated OS. Those other files have to get processed differently via hfslip, they are all WMP and WM codec related. MSFT changes their mind on their packing scheme on those types of files all the time, thus the reason for so many betas on the x32. I'll see if I can start a quicky patch....

Edit - try out this beta. Maybe I'll start up a 64 beta thread if I feel ambitious. Please post errors you have, please don't be vague with the errors, I'll need as much info as possible (like what files are missing). Remember I don't have a xp64 so I can't test this out.

Edited by tommyp

Thank you VERY Much, Tommy. I'll test it and get back to you.

But why does hfslip try to run it instead of just copying it? I know it's uselees, but I like MU tu shut the F*** up!

Edited by jvidal

Alright, tested it. Unfortunately, not much of an improvement over 1.1.3

Here are the details:

During the TXT-based phase of the setup, the following files can't be copied:

- iesettng.dll

- iesettng.mui

- ie8props.propdesc

- triedit.dll

- wiesttng.dll

- wieunatt.mui

- wiesttng.mui

Then, in the graphical part of the setup, the following files can not be copied (apparently missing fromt he source):

- iecleanp.exe

- wieclnup.exe

- wiedw.mui

Nevertheless, windows boots correctly and seems to work fine, Ie8 also seems to work fine.

Finally, MU still wants these:

KB954155

KB968816

KB952069

KB973540

KB951376

KB954154

KB974112

KB890830 (this one is handled incorrectly during the slipstreaming. hfslip tries to run Windows-KB890830-x64-v3.1.exe instead of extracting its contents and/or just copying it to the sourcess folder)

Well, that's about it.

Oh, almost forgot, my log is attached

Edited by tommyp

jvidal - Thanks for being patient, the log file helped me out. I hope you don't mind being the king of beta testing. It's easier to tackle this piecemeal, so lets try to iron out the WM hotfixes first. Try this out. Open the script and locate line 1035. Line 1035 is the blank line between these two lines:

SET HFNOREG=

MOVE/Y WORK\WMP\UPDATE\*.CAT WORK\SVCPACK >NUL

on the blank line # 1035, add this:

MOVE WORK\WMP\wm11x64\*.* WORK\WMP\amd64 >NUL

Save it, re-run the script, install on a VM and report back your findings.

As far as the KB890830 malicious software, can you do this? I can't extract it on my 2000 box. For the x32 version, the /x is a hidden option, but it lets you extract. I cannot confirm for x64. Open a command window in the HF folder. Run this command and see if it lets you extract it. Let me know if it prompts you for a directory for where to extact it or if it just runs/installs the program instead.

windows-kb890830-x64-v3.1.exe /x

Lastly, are the files that you list for the txtmode, do those files exist in the sourcess? Pay attention to the filenames... Are you installing via boot CD?

Please LMK what you discover with the above Q's, so I can automate things and start tackling the other probs.

Thanks!

Edited by tommyp

Thanks for your patience tommy, I'll mod the script and get back to you.

In the meantime, I can tell you that the files missing during txt-setup ARE present in the source in compressed form, i.e. i8eprops.pr_ and yes, I AM installing from a boot CD on a VM. It seems the problem is with txtsetup.sif referencing the wrong file names.

BTW, windows-kb890830-x64-v3.1.exe /x doesn't work, says "it's not a win32 valid application". (that's what I have been saying, that the script tries to run the file. How about using expand to extract it? ****, it doesn't work either, only winrar can handle it.

How about having the user manually extract mrt.exe and mrtstub.exe and placing them in a folder?

BTW, it's line 1062, not 1035. Adding the code as we speak. Off to run it again. i'll report later.

Edited by jvidal

thanks, tommy, I'll try and then get back to you.

BTW, IE8 installer is also 33.176KB. MD5:f357a6b6b69fbd427610f1dd83a17c16

update: re-downloaded I8 installer, same as I already had.

Edited by jvidal

Looking at the txtsetup.sif file you attached before, it appears that WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB925148-v4-x64-ENU.exe may not be handled correctly. I'd suggest to remove the non-critical update from your list. It's one of those multilingual bugfixes, which you probably don't need anyway. If you really really need it, I'm sure we can work something out.

I'm not sure why you had those copy errors though, the code seems to be there and the txtsetup.sif is created right for the IE8 hotfixes, the files are present in the sourcess. It's almost as if there is a bad image or something. Very weird. Report your findings with the beta B I posted earlier (remove the above hotfix too).

Hi!

I'm going to install now (slipstreamed with beta 'b')

I'll rebuild the CD w/o that hotfix later.

Wish me luck!

BTW I only include critical hotfixes that MU wants, no extra stuff, except WM11+HF, IE8+HF, WUA3.0 and MRT.

Edit: I just remembered something, yesterday, while re-building with beta 'b' I noticed that in the "processing WMP11" stage, the wmp11 hotfixes are processed one after another without ANY messages saying "x files copied" between them (like it happens with other HFs). plus, after that a ton of "0 files copied" messages appeared.

I DO need that HF, 'cause I install tha spanish langpack after installing windows, but I'm sure I should install it AFTER the langpack and not include it in the slipstreaming. I'll rebuild in a bit. Nice catch, tommy!

I think I will install using the SP2 CD and then check my list of HFs against the one in MU (what MU wants after installing), just to be sure.

Edited by jvidal

Alright! now we're making progress, I just installed, here are the results.

During TXTMODE and GFXMODE, I still got the same errors about files not being copied. Maybe due that hotfix. I'll test right away without it and get back to you.

The good news is that MU now only wants 3 hotfixes, namely: 951376, 974112, 890830 (MRT, which I noticed you intentionally left out).

Nicely done, tommy!

I'm off to test w/o that hotfix, I'll get back to you as soon as I finish!

thanx again!

Ok, tested it, no change, exact same result as my previous attempt. same files not copied during TXTSETUP and GFXSETUP, and the same 3 HFs wanted by MU.

Edit: installed from the SP2 CD, i will install IE8 and wmp11 amd see what updates MU wants and check them against what I have. Maybe I'll find something...

Ok, I found three seemingly unneeded updates. I'll rebuild and test again.

BTW, i found something weird: the updates wanted by automatic updates (thru the yellow shield in the system tray) have nothing to do with what MU wants when I visit microsoft update...

Edited by jvidal