basic vista vs. xp question

graysky

The OEM version of Vista Ultimate is $180 from newegg and I'm wondering beyond the fancy new UI and DX10 support, are there any other major advantages of Vista over XP (no this isn't a troll question). From what I've seen, benchmarks under Vista are actually a bit slower than under XP.

As usual, thanks for the input all.

Vastly improved networking, brilliant memory management, consistently better performance on newish computers.

Application startup time has to be seen to be believed.

I really like how the thread priorities are set-up off the shelf too. In XP it was pretty much impossible to limit background processes from hogging CPU (no matter what settings you applied), but in Vista background processes really are background processes.

I didn't even look at Vista for over a year because of all the bad press. I decided to try it in preparation for SP1 and I've been very impressed. It's really surpassed my expectations. I'm glad I wasn't around at RTM to be disappointed.

I think that the Defender and the greatly improved system management are the most significant difference between the two, apart of ui and dx.

And it looks awesome :)

I won't use brand new pc with a different os.

Edited by Harry_O

Even if you don't plan on installing Vista right now, I'd recommend buying Vista Ultimate OEM because you then have downgrade rights to XP Pro. Of course, it's a $35 gamble - will I ever install Vista? - but cheaper overall if you do decide to install Vista later.

One problem - you would probably be in violation of the EULA if you buy Ultimate OEM for its downgrade rights and then want to set up a dual-boot system. You need to completely remove XP before installing Vista in order to be in compliance with the downgrade rights in the EULA.

Even if you don't plan on installing Vista right now, I'd recommend buying Vista Ultimate OEM because you then have downgrade rights to XP Pro. Of course, it's a $35 gamble - will I ever install Vista? - but cheaper overall if you do decide to install Vista later.

One problem - you would probably be in violation of the EULA if you buy Ultimate OEM for its downgrade rights and then want to set up a dual-boot system. You need to completely remove XP before installing Vista in order to be in compliance with the downgrade rights in the EULA.

Downgrade rights?

I am not sure Ultimate has "downgrade rights" or not. However you can downgrade Vista Business to XP Pro. I am not sure if Ultimate can, but I am fairly sure Home Premium and Basic cannot.

So ah, what you're trying to say is that I can't have a dual-boot system because of some downgrade rights?! Never heard of such a thing pal.

So ah, what you're trying to say is that I can't have a dual-boot system because of some downgrade rights?! Never heard of such a thing pal.

Nothing connected with downgrade rights.

You might have heard that you need a valid license for each installed/running Operating System, though.

jaclaz

Not at all...I have a dual-boot system myself. My OEM copy of Vista Home Premium came with my computer, and I purchased XP Pro later. Two valid, conforming licenses on one computer.

What I was saying is...pursuant to the EULA for Vista Business OEM or Vista Ultimate OEM, if you do exercise your downgrade rights to install XP Pro, you cannot then install Vista under the same OEM license. If you purchase one license, you can run one copy.

From http://www.reasonco.com/vista/vistadowngraderights.htm - emphasis added by me:

Q. Can end users return to Windows Vista Business or Windows Vista Ultimate software after they downgrade?

A. Yes. End users who downgrade may reinstall the original software when they are ready to migrate. For example, an end user who downgrades to Windows XP Professional may later return to Windows Vista Business software provided that the end user deletes the Windows XP Professional software from the PC.

Edited by jrf2027

Right - only system builders and VL customers can downgrade - you do not get downgrade rights when you buy FPP or OEM packs from a retail vendor. The OP is looking at buying OEM from a retail vendor, so no downgrade rights.

The version he linked to has a system builder license, so I think it would come with downgrade rights...

It may, but I'm not sure about that. There are some limitations to the system builder program, including having to be a system builder yourself, or buying a machine that an actual OEM system builder installed the OEM software on. This is one of those grey areas where you buy a system builder OEM copy, from the system builder, but he/she sells you the OEM software and doesn't actually install it on hardware. I suppose if one was to sign up for the OEM system builder program... ;)

The version he linked to has a system builder license, so I think it would come with downgrade rights...

It may, but I'm not sure about that. There are some limitations to the system builder program, including having to be a system builder yourself, or buying a machine that an actual OEM system builder installed the OEM software on. This is one of those grey areas where you buy a system builder OEM copy, from the system builder, but he/she sells you the OEM software and doesn't actually install it on hardware. I suppose if one was to sign up for the OEM system builder program... ;)

Yes, so far I've personally seen every version of Vista gives you the ability to install Windows XP (Home, Business, Pro) without giving you a 30-day activation warning or any such limitation. You can simply install XP over Vista, no questions asked.

But generally I'd say that any version of Vista that doesn't have the word 'basic' next to it is a good upgrade from XP. Like it has been said, it runs faster in almost every aspect, and memory management is exceptional. I moved from Windows 98 to Vista, and I discovered that I no longer had to expect 50 MB wiping off 0.4 GB from my hard drive! 50MB was 50MB, just as it should be.