• Features
    • I selected Vista
  3. 3. If Vista, Why?

• Performance
    • Compatibilities
    • Looks
    • Features
    • I selected XP

second that. I got my XP Pro with my ThinkPad, why should I "upgrade"? and at work, XP does the job, is supported until 2014 as of now and is paid. So why buy a new Windows version, work around new problems, if you know your running system good enough and your essential apps run on it?

Third that. XP just works.

Vista looks nicer, and has a few new features. They're not groundbreaking enough to upgrade.

Performance is significantly worse.

Plus with the news of Windows7 in 2010, we can just wait 2 years. Why bother with Vista?

another poll on the same ol' topic. this belongs in the poll center. I'm sure you'll find 10 other polls similar to this.

Possibly, but for God's sake, don't move it or close it. We're doing quite nicely right here....thank you.

I have both XP-Pro-SP2 and Vista Ultimate installed on my own (homebuilt) PC. (in separate HD's of course)

It's no sluggard with an AMD dual core 3800+ cpu and 2 gigs of DDR2 ram and two SATA2 HD's.

My reasons for preferring XP over Vista would not fit here in space or time allotted.

But just a few....

for a purist, XP will run quite fast on a FAT-32 formatted HD.....Vista will NOT.

I can back up my XP partition to a single DVD or six gig flash drive....NOT so with Vista.

(it's way too big for that)

I can add, remove, delete, change attributes or rename any file in XP, or from a DOS boot disk....NOT so with Vista.

It's forever telling me I don't have permission to do something, and I'm the Administrator. :realmad:

Don't you know, that really gripes my Axx!!!

So for me and g'zillions of other purists, Vista wets the bed! :wacko:

Cheers Mates!

Andromeda43 :ph34r:

for a purist, XP will run quite fast on a FAT-32 formatted HD.....Vista will NOT.

XP also performs much faster when you're running NTFS. It's a bit odd that Microsoft didn't do like they did with Vista and force NTFS to be the primary file system on XP. Vista enhances security in many ways, this is why you can only run NTFS.

For anyone still running FAT/32 on your drive and you're on 2000 or XP, just do this:

convert C: /fs:ntfs

You'll see a huge change as your entire system will perform much faster with reads/writes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
is it true that since i need to "hack" to enable ACHI on XP, the performance will take a hit? from http://www.msfn.org/board/enable-AHCI-Inte...XP-t109450.html

It's not a "hack," it's just a registry edit to allow Windows to recognize the driver at boot. It's functionally no different than loading the driver from a floppy during installation.

Correct, and I made that topic to help some people out that I advised a chipset with ICH9 and were missing that performance boost on XP.
... only problem is file copying is still a pain, and improves with sp1 only by a little margin,...
I don´t notice anything negative about transferring data between Vista and Vista, it should give you a performance boost as the network layer no is more optimized. Are you referring to Vista to XP or visa-versa? Then wait a few weeks for SP3 of XP and you will have that part solved too ;).
How do you measure better? Is it faster? Any tests? From what I've seen on the Web (which need not necessarily be true) XP is faster than Vista on same hardware (either new or old).
I moved from 32bit XP to 64bit Vista and have to say that all "feels" smoother, an huge difference I noticed was when I opened Adobe Photoshop for the first time: It just pops open and it´s ready to use! (wow, I almost look like a Vista fan-boy now :P)
I can back up my XP partition to a single DVD or six gig flash drive....NOT so with Vista.

(it's way too big for that)

No problems here with that, as I use good compression. Time to move on and leave Norton Ghost for what it is an take a look at Acronis True Image (really, I would try it again although you had problems with it before, and no, it´s nothing personal).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

XP64, hands down B)

Vista is overly bloated, sluggish at times, and lacks compatibility with older apps and devices.

Only with Win2008, it's starting to get better (although still some issues remain).