Slipstreaming headache

pdragonfly

Hi, I'm trying to slipstream using Nlite, as per the guide. And I've run into two problems.

(I'm doing this on my old computer, making the disk to use on the new computer).

Problem One:

I downloaded all the necessary drivers from the Dell site for my new computer and put them into a file Called Dell Drivers - they are all *exe files.

So when I use Nlite and get to the part where I'm choosing the folder with the drivers in it, Nlite doesn't 'find' any drivers (because they are still in the *.exe files.

So I need to extract them but don't know how, since they are *exe and Dell drivers and I have a Toshiba. (Also can't put them on my new computer because its currently Vista, which I'm about to upgrade to xp pro)

How do I solve the problem of getting the drivers out of the *exe files? (sorry for being such a noob about this)

Problem Two:

I copied all the files from my XP disk and put it into a folder called: Temp windows xp folder.

When I started Nlite and chose the folder, after Nlite did its thing, it showed "arabic" as the language instead of English.

How do I get Nlite to recognize that this is an English version of XP?

Thanks so much. I would love to get going on this. Spent hours combing the net and these forums for answers.

P.S. this is so that I can just have xp on my new computer (and not any vista). So its a clean install with the necessary drivers.

as above.. this is what i have done..

- extracted files from the exe. (nvidia_forceware******.exe) into a folder i created in my (Win_XP source folder) d:\custom_win\drivers\display\(files were extracted here)

d:\custom_win\drivers\chipset\

d:\custom_win\drivers\lan\

d:\custom_win\drivers\sound\

d:\custom_win\drivers\misc\

and when setting up in nlite ive found that using multi folder instead of just pointing a one .ini works for me

note: add chipset drivers first.

hope that helped

Hi, thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Will try them today and report back.

Any ideas about why nlite is thinking my xp is in arabic?

Hi, using 7-zip right now and got to cd/dvd exe files and 7zip is telling me it cant open as an archive. AFraid if I don't have these that my cd/dvd won't work. They were zipped first and I unzipped them and then tried to open, but still getting the error message.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Edited by pdragonfly

" arabic as the language instead of English "

If you mean "after its done its thing" as in completed it... during the install one of the tabs as you put you code in the is a language option, or you have even removed this as you have slimmed down your windows ..

i think maybe start from the beginning and dont load any presets and just take your time with it

Partition error - now won't boot at all.

Got English, yeah.

Couple problems remaining:

Problem One:

Althought the computer is showing I'm connected to the internet, I can't connect to the internet. Shut off all modems and put them back on.

Put in specific tc/ip address

Not sure if I'm missing a driver or something - suggestions would be appreciated.

Problem Two:

Installed Partition Magic 8.0 and its compalining (already) that I have errors and it can't identify the drive. Says the partition stopped and started at the wrong place, Lots of other complaints.

Tried a third install, still getting same messages.

Problem Three: can't play video - says device is in use by another program. Sigh.

I really need guidance on these last steps. Would appreciate someone taking the time to guide me.

Thanks.

Any ideas about what happened? I reformatted the C drive.

Edited by pdragonfly