[SOLVED] Install Multiple XP/Vista/PE/2003 from USB

03 - Rename SETUPLDR.BIN to XPS01 and rename TXTSETUP.SIF to TXTSET01.SIF

07 - HEX Edit SETUPLDR1 replace every reference of "$WIN_NT" to "$WIN_01"

- HEX Edit SETUPLDR1 replace every reference of "txtsetup" to "txtset01"

Did you mean here XPS01 instead of SETUPLDR1

Same for index 2

09 - EXPAND setupdd.sy_ to setupdd.sys located in your ~BS folders

- For $WIN_01$.~BT\setupdd.sys run "GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x001:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys"

- For $WIN_02$.~BT\setupdd.sys run "GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x002:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys"

In setupdd.sys there is no $WIN_NT.~LS string

Did you mean :x00B:x00T instead of :x00L:x00S

Your detailed description of post #1 corresponds to what ilko_t and cdob have given,

but unfortunately I was not able in all cases (3 attempts) to reach the GUI Mode of Setup.

TXT Mode Setup was running well, but TXT mode could not continue after the first question.

Setup cannot Find Install Files - Setup Cannot Continue - Message Occurs. So NOT SOLVED for me ;)

@ilko_t Would it bepossible that a modified NTDETECT.COM bring the solution?

What kind of USB-Drive and Format did you use ?

I have tried USB-Harddisk with NTFS and FAT Format, and USB-stick with NTFS Format

wimb

Edited by wimb

Wimb, here is setupdd.sys from Tiny Hexer:

magicalsnap200803291039tk3.th.jpg

Yep, must be XPS01 instead of SETUPLDR1 if using NTFS. If it's FAT16/32 then setupldr.bin names should be used.

May be it's a good idea in next release to use only XPSTP, no matter what FS, also to copy only bootsectors and setupldr.bin for the chosen options as we discussed. I.e. BartPE not selected- do not copy PELDR and bootsector for it, same for DOS/Syslinux etc.

I used FAT16 and usb_prepare8, normal ntdetect.com, no need to HEX edit it. Strings replacements with gsar as more convenient.

ilko

Hi ilko,

In my setupdd.sys there is no $WIN_NT.~LS string,

but in yours I can see there is one.

My Source is XP SP2 NLD file 03-08-2004

Mystery SOLVED, I changed Search Settings to Yours and Now I found the String.

Search with: Unicode (little endian) and Ignore case

Thanks a lot ;)

Edited by wimb

Did you select unicode? Without that, Tiny Hexer won't find the string.

Mine is from XP Pro SP2 Eng, setupdd.sys version 5.1.2600.2180 from 03-08-2004.

What do you have at that offset?

Edited by ilko_t

Did you select unicode? Without that, Tiny Hexer won't find the string.

Mine is from XP Pro SP2 Eng, setupdd.sys version 5.1.2600.2180 from 03-08-2004.

What do you have at that offset?

Unicode made the difference, Thanks

Will try again now.

Thx guys,

Multiple XP Install from USB SOLVED for me by ilko_t with TinyHexer ScreenShot and andy_le2k and cdob :thumbup

Install of XP from USB was now OK

My problem was that in TinyHexer I used wrong setting for search of $WIN_NT$.~LS string.

Now I know that I have to use Unicode (little endian) and Ignore case.

But it is much better to use GSAR for the search and replace, then there is no problem.

@andy_le2k Your GSAR Instruction is OK, no need to change ;)

wimb

Edited by wimb

Good :)

I'm still puzzled about this unicode thingie, why only ~LS string :blink:

First time when thread was started I opened setupdd.sys in Tiny Hexer and searched for ~LS- not found. Who would guess to change to unicode...

Thanks cdob, brilliant find :thumbup

07 - HEX Edit SETUPLDR1 replace every reference of "$WIN_NT" to "$WIN_01"

- HEX Edit SETUPLDR1 replace every reference of "txtsetup" to "txtset01"

Did you mean here XPS01 instead of SETUPLDR1

Same for index 2

Thanks for the pickup! Yes this is a mistake and I have edited on the first post. I initially named my setupldr files setupldr1 and setupldr2 but I think ntfs boot sectors needs to be 5 chars that is why the make boot batch file will not accept setupldr1 or setupldr2.

I'm glad you finally got it working. It feels really good to be able to accomplish something like this eh? Which is why I'm very thankful to everybody who made this possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to use SETUPLDRBIN and SETUPLDR.BIN instead of NTLDR in NTFS BootSector File using the same

byte sequence for terminating the bootloader name, but booting did not occur. ;)

So it seems to me that we have to live with the 5-letter limit of bootloader name in NTFS BootSector File.

Actually renaming SETUPLDR.BIN as XPSTP is OK and is used now for all FileSystems by USB_MultiBoot_8.cmd

in order to avoid confusion.

wimb

Edited by wimb

I understood the whole process but I can`t understand what GSAR is replacing :(

09 - EXPAND setupdd.sy_ to setupdd.sys located in your ~BS folders

- For $WIN_01$.~BT\setupdd.sys run "GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x001:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys"

- For $WIN_02$.~BT\setupdd.sys run "GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x002:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys"

I kindly ask you to give a more detalied explication.

Thank you :)

Changing $WIN_NT$.~LS to $WIN_01$.~LS in setupdd.sys.

GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x001:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys

Does it make sense now?

Changing $WIN_NT$.~LS to $WIN_01$.~LS in setupdd.sys.

GSAR -i -o -s$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x00N:x00T:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 -r$:x00W:x00I:x00N:x00_:x000:x001:x00$:x00.:x00~:x00L:x00S:x00 setupdd.sys

Does it make sense now?

Oh, yes, TY! :)

Nice shot using the colours :thumbup

• 2 months later...
Thanks to everybody who made this possible for me - especially these superstars: jaclaz, ilko_t, cdob and wimb

I just want to list the steps I took below, I can't promise that it will work for all of you but it worked for me.

01 - Make XP1 Source using usb_multiboot.cmd

02 - Rename $WIN_NT$.~BS and $WIN_NT$.~LS to $WIN_01$.~BS and $WIN_01$.~LS

04 - Make XP2 Source using usb_multiboot.cmd

I'm stuck at this point.

I have two working XP ISOs. Both was customized/updated using nLite. I'd extract them to sepparated folders and make the first installation on the USB. It works just fine, and the installation was pretty fast. Then I try to add the second installation with the instructions above.

After rename the folders, I start again the process with the USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd, select the new source, and the new $OEM$ folder, select the USB again, and them try to make the multiboot. I've got a message saying that source and destination has the same drives.

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is. Can someone help? Wich options should I choose for make the second boot?

FYI, alone, the second iso is working too.

Thanks

Theles

Then I try to add the second installation with the instructions above.

After rename the folders, I start again the process with the USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd, select the new source, and the new $OEM$ folder, select the USB again, and them try to make the multiboot. I've got a message saying that source and destination has the same drives.

You should not manually rename the folders ;)

Let USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd do the work, the whole procedure is build in the program.

See Support and Changes: http://www.msfn.org/board/install-XP-USB-t...6.html&st=6

- Multiple XP Install from USB is now Supported (max 9 sources)

http://www.msfn.org/board/SOLVED-Install-M...SB-t114543.html

Run USB_MultiBoot.cmd again using New XP Source and Empty XX_CONTENT Source Folder

The last sentence is exactly what you have to do, to solve your problem :)

So you have to run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd TWICE

For the second Run we have:

With N) you Select NO Format

With 1) you Select your second XP Source, located on your Harddisk

With 2) you Select your USB-Drive Target

With C) you Select Empty XX_CONTENT Source Folder, which is part of your USB_MultiBoot_10 folder,

located on your Harddisk, and NOT on your USB drive ;)

With 3) you Make the USB-stick and Copy the second XP-Source

Edited by wimb