BDA (Tv tuner support) on Server 2008/R2

shahed26

Hi - thanks very much for this. One suggestion; at the risk of demonstrating my ignorance - can I suggest you add a line to the instructions that says you should install the tuner card drivers seperately... (would have saved me some 'dumb' time!!)

Edited by bkch

Hi - thanks very much for this. One suggestion; at the risk of demonstrating my ignorance - can I suggest you add a line to the instructions that says you should install the tuner card drivers seperately... (would have saved me some 'dumb' time!!)

Thanks, will do :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi shahed26,

I have tried your batch script method to no avail. I have verified the files have copied correctly and are in the right place.

ProgDVB 5 reports that it 'Could not CoCreateInstance CLSID_MPEG2Demultiplexer', and ProgDVB4 reports 'Run DBA graph error'. My manufacturers own software is a little more successful, in that it can get to the run and get to the scan channels screen. However once I scan my local transmitter, it fails to see any channels. It looks like it is failing to lock, as the signal quality bar stays at 0%, despite it being 100% consistantly in XP.

I have also ensured the BDA drivers are installed for my device, and ensured DirectX 9 is running ok.

Source: Vista x64

Destination: WinServer 2008 x64

Card: Lifeview FlyDVB-T (PCI)

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Quick Edit:

Ok, I read some old instructions and decided to run the install option of BDA.inf in /windows/inf/. After restarting, my LifeView application and ProgDVB4 (with graph edits) seem to work, although they are unstable. ProgDVB5 still gives the old error though.

Guess I will need a better 3rd party app!

Edited by Leonichol

Hi shahed26,

I have tried your batch script method to no avail. I have verified the files have copied correctly and are in the right place.

ProgDVB 5 reports that it 'Could not CoCreateInstance CLSID_MPEG2Demultiplexer', and ProgDVB4 reports 'Run DBA graph error'. My manufacturers own software is a little more successful, in that it can get to the run and get to the scan channels screen. However once I scan my local transmitter, it fails to see any channels. It looks like it is failing to lock, as the signal quality bar stays at 0%, despite it being 100% consistantly in XP.

I have also ensured the BDA drivers are installed for my device, and ensured DirectX 9 is running ok.

Source: Vista x64

Destination: WinServer 2008 x64

Card: Lifeview FlyDVB-T (PCI)

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Quick Edit:

Ok, I read some old instructions and decided to run the install option of BDA.inf in /windows/inf/. After restarting, my LifeView application and ProgDVB4 (with graph edits) seem to work, although they are unstable. ProgDVB5 still gives the old error though.

Guess I will need a better 3rd party app!

Use Dvbviewer. Its the best one, (a little confusing when it comes to configuring the app) But all features work great on server

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the great work, my setup currently have following issues, and I am not sure where I should looking into:

System is W2k8 64bit

Tuner is AutumnWave onAir GT, which works fine in XP 64bit and the GraphEdit in XP worked and can watch the HDTV without any problem (pls see attachment #1)

I have extract all required files(32 and 64bit) from the Vista64 image and correct installed by using the installation scripts.

Also, I have install the bda.inf from bdaxp.cab.

install the bda.inf from w2k8 windows\inf directory

install/reinstall tuner driver/software several times

(I can say above steps are tried many times between reboot as I have struggled this for several weeks)

Now, the issue I can see (2nd attachment) is that "BDA Source Filter" and "BDA Receiver Component" is missing in the filter configs using GraphEdit.

But I checked by regedit, those GUID is there, for example:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{DA4E3DA0-D07D-11d0-BD50-00A0C911CE86}\Instance\{71985F48-1CA1-11d3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}]

@="BDA Source Filters"

"FriendlyName"="BDA Source Filters"

"CLSID"="{71985F48-1CA1-11d3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}"

But "BDA Source Filters" is not in the GraphEdit filters list.

Is this issue related with the Hardware driver install? or my generic BDA framework not setup properly?

Thanks in advance.

post-212005-1222613825_thumb.jpg

post-212005-1222613838_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the great work, my setup currently have following issues, and I am not sure where I should looking into:

System is W2k8 64bit

Tuner is AutumnWave onAir GT, which works fine in XP 64bit and the GraphEdit in XP worked and can watch the HDTV without any problem (pls see attachment #1)

I have extract all required files(32 and 64bit) from the Vista64 image and correct installed by using the installation scripts.

Also, I have install the bda.inf from bdaxp.cab.

install the bda.inf from w2k8 windows\inf directory

install/reinstall tuner driver/software several times

(I can say above steps are tried many times between reboot as I have struggled this for several weeks)

Now, the issue I can see (2nd attachment) is that "BDA Source Filter" and "BDA Receiver Component" is missing in the filter configs using GraphEdit.

But I checked by regedit, those GUID is there, for example:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{DA4E3DA0-D07D-11d0-BD50-00A0C911CE86}\Instance\{71985F48-1CA1-11d3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}]

@="BDA Source Filters"

"FriendlyName"="BDA Source Filters"

"CLSID"="{71985F48-1CA1-11d3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}"

But "BDA Source Filters" is not in the GraphEdit filters list.

Is this issue related with the Hardware driver install? or my generic BDA framework not setup properly?

Thanks in advance.

The problem is, NOT all tv card work under server 2008, (even with this BDA setup pack) and i guess thats the case with you as well. Mine is working fine, i can watch HD tv chanells. The problem is not hardware related, but generic BDA framework.

Edited by shahed26

The problem is, NOT all tv card work under server 2008, (even with this BDA setup pack) and i guess thats the case with you as well. Mine is working fine, i can watch HD tv chanells. The problem is not hardware related, but generic BDA framework.

Well, right now I think it is not my tuner not showup in filters list, but the whole "BDA Source Filters" category not there, so I guess maybe my BDA setup pack is not installed properly. I hope once the these category is in place, the filter chain may work in my system.

So, in your machine, could you run GraphEdit and see if the "BDA Source Filters" category exists (in insert filter dialog box)?

http://download.videohelp.com/download/graphedit041201.zip

Hi,

I've been trying to get this working, but seem to be doing something wrong. I've read through this forum, the one of GBPVR and Hauppauge, and still am stuck.

This is where I got. I've got a GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo with onboard ATI 3200HD GPU, AMD 4850e CPU, and most importantly, a Hauppauge PVR150 (2600 series) with remote as my analogue capture card. It is connected to our analogue TV-distribution cable.

I did a clean install of Windows 2008 Standard x64 English, added the desktop experience feature and installed the k-lite normal codec pack. Then I ran the script on a 64-bit Vista in vmware (and checked the source folder - all seemed to be there). Copied the whole thing to the Windows 2008, and ran the script. Everything seemed to be running ok, except for an "access denied" error when moving the files. After the automatic reboot, I found the "kswdmcap.ax.mui" in the System32 and the SysWOW64 subfolders of the source folder. When trying the "move"-lines from the batch file manually for these two file, I get the same access denied error. I then installed all the remaining drivers, installed the Wintv application, GBPVR and DVB dream (as suggested on this forum), but none seem to work. Errors are:

GBPVR Tuning assistant (set to Hauppauge PVR 150, Belgium, Cable): "Failed to find Crossbar filter. Wrong Device Type?"

Wintv 6: "Cannot access TV Tuner, please check the unit is connected and the drivers are correctly installed."

DVBdream: "Cannot initialize DVB hardware! ErrorCode:1 Application will work in offline mode"

I did manage to use the PVR-150 on linux, but due to driver troubles (ATI stll not performing wel with myhtv), switched to Windows 2008, so the card seems to be OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of ideas and options. If I need to upload any logfiles, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Ekjaker

Hi,

I've been trying to get this working, but seem to be doing something wrong. I've read through this forum, the one of GBPVR and Hauppauge, and still am stuck.

This is where I got. I've got a GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo with onboard ATI 3200HD GPU, AMD 4850e CPU, and most importantly, a Hauppauge PVR150 (2600 series) with remote as my analogue capture card. It is connected to our analogue TV-distribution cable.

I did a clean install of Windows 2008 Standard x64 English, added the desktop experience feature and installed the k-lite normal codec pack. Then I ran the script on a 64-bit Vista in vmware (and checked the source folder - all seemed to be there). Copied the whole thing to the Windows 2008, and ran the script. Everything seemed to be running ok, except for an "access denied" error when moving the files. After the automatic reboot, I found the "kswdmcap.ax.mui" in the System32 and the SysWOW64 subfolders of the source folder. When trying the "move"-lines from the batch file manually for these two file, I get the same access denied error. I then installed all the remaining drivers, installed the Wintv application, GBPVR and DVB dream (as suggested on this forum), but none seem to work. Errors are:

GBPVR Tuning assistant (set to Hauppauge PVR 150, Belgium, Cable): "Failed to find Crossbar filter. Wrong Device Type?"

Wintv 6: "Cannot access TV Tuner, please check the unit is connected and the drivers are correctly installed."

DVBdream: "Cannot initialize DVB hardware! ErrorCode:1 Application will work in offline mode"

I did manage to use the PVR-150 on linux, but due to driver troubles (ATI stll not performing wel with myhtv), switched to Windows 2008, so the card seems to be OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of ideas and options. If I need to upload any logfiles, please let me know.

Ekjaker

First thing is, ANALOGUE DOES NOT WORK ON SERVER 2008 (my batch setup has no analogue files)

Secondly You must run the batch file as administrator to avoid access denied error.

And lastly, not all tv applications work under server. Dvbviewer works great!

Sorry as i can not help you much on this one, as am back to using vista. My server trial period has expired, and i was only running server all this time for experimental use! :lol:

Hi,

Ekjaker

First thing is, ANALOGUE DOES NOT WORK ON SERVER 2008 (my batch setup has no analogue files)

Secondly You must run the batch file as administrator to avoid access denied error.

And lastly, not all tv applications work under server. Dvbviewer works great!

Sorry as i can not help you much on this one, as am back to using vista. My server trial period has expired, and i was only running server all this time for experimental use! :lol:

****, not very good news. Does this mean that analogue is impossible to run on 2008, or just your batch file doesnt support it?

Concerning the access denied thing, I did actually ran de batch file as admin. Because I read in your other posts that not all tv applications run in 2008, I tried the 3 different ones. To no avail, clearly.

Anyway, thx for the info. I already lost tons of time with this, so I'm glad I dont have the waste anymore on something that wouldnt work anyway. Unless ofcourse it is possible to run analogue on 2008, only not with your batch file. If it doesnt, it will be 2003 or Vista, probably x86 (any suggestiosn there?).

Well, right now I think it is not my tuner not showup in filters list, but the whole "BDA Source Filters" category not there, so I guess maybe my BDA setup pack is not installed properly. I hope once the these category is in place, the filter chain may work in my system.

So, in your machine, could you run GraphEdit and see if the "BDA Source Filters" category exists (in insert filter dialog box)?

http://download.videohelp.com/download/graphedit041201.zip

Good news, HDTV tuner(AutumnWave onAir GT) is working in 2008 server!!!

After useing registry monitor in XP, I found some registry is missing in 2008, Following is what I did in Server 2008:

1) open GraphEdit, if the "BDA Source Filters" is missing in insert dialog, then continue to next step. else you should stop.

2) export following registry tree to a file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{DA4E3DA0-D07D-11d0-BD50-00A0C911CE86}]

3) in the file, replace all "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\" to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\"

i.e. change to: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{DA4E3DA0-D07D-11d0-BD50-00A0C911CE86}]

4) import the modified reg file.

5) then open GraphEdit, the "BDA Source Filters" should show up, then build the correct filter graph, then play the graph, you should see the TV.

Now, I just need find a good player.

Looks like this is a 64bit issue, Probably because GraphEdit is 32bit app, and it need some Wow6432Node reg setting which was missing in my initial env.

Maybe a pure 64bit player should work without above fix, but at least this fix prove the BDA server package works.

Cheers.

Edited by xordos

"First thing is, ANALOGUE DOES NOT WORK ON SERVER 2008 (my batch setup has no analogue files)"

Just out of curiousity, do you think it is theoretically possible to make analogue work on 2008 using the same comparison process used for creating the batch file for digital?

I'd hate to have to go back to 2003 server :no:

Edited by Ekjaker

"First thing is, ANALOGUE DOES NOT WORK ON SERVER 2008 (my batch setup has no analogue files)"

Just out of curiousity, do you think it is theoretically possible to make analogue work on 2008 using the same comparison process used for creating the batch file for digital?

ANALOGUE is possible on server, as it uses the same kernel (core) as vista. Its just some files and registry entries are missing, that needs to be present in server installation for it to work properly.

Maybe you can try importing some registry keys and files from vista to server to see if you can get it to work.

I am not on server anymore, so wont be working on this anymore :(

Thanks

ANALOGUE is possible on server, as it uses the same kernel (core) as vista. Its just some files and registry entries are missing, that needs to be present in server installation for it to work properly.

Maybe you can try importing some registry keys and files from vista to server to see if you can get it to work.

I am not on server anymore, so wont be working on this anymore :(

Thanks

OK, thanks Shahed for all the input and great work! I'll check the forums again for how exactly you went about getting it all together for digital, and see if I can get somewhere with analogue. If I do, I'll post back here.

If there is someone else here trying to get analogue cards to work on 2008, let me know. Maybe we can get further together.

Edited by Ekjaker