Slipstreaming the updates

Nick_White

Hi,

I have a question regarding the slipstreaming of updates, hotfixes etc.:

Is the order from the list (in the nLite GUI) important?

For example, if an IE7 new update is higher in the list (it will be slipstreamed first) and an older update is at the bottom, will the old one overwrite the files from the new one?

If it is true, then sorting by release date would do the trick. But on some updates (such as IE7 installer), there is no release date!

Hi,

I have a question regarding the slipstreaming of updates, hotfixes etc.:

Is the order from the list (in the nLite GUI) important?

For example, if an IE7 new update is higher in the list (it will be slipstreamed first) and an older update is at the bottom, will the old one overwrite the files from the new one?

If it is true, then sorting by release date would do the trick. But on some updates (such as IE7 installer), there is no release date!

Yes, the order matters, to an extent. nLite will figure out which updates go where, with the exception being the IE7 installer, and any IE7 updates.

What I do is I take my original CD, and integrate IE7 by itself, with no other modification done to the CD, and make an ISO. Then I delete the folder, and extract the IE7 iso into that folder. Then I do all of my hotfix integrations, including IE7 hotfixes (it will figure out which ones go in what order this way), as well as doing all of the other mods (drivers, unattended, patches, and tweaks). Then when nlite gets to the make iso page, I minimize it and run the WMP 11 slipstreamer to integrate WMP11 and all of it's hotfixes. Once that is done, I bring up nlite again and make the ISO. This way when I go to windows update, it shows 0 critical, 0 high priority, and I dont get any compatibility issues.

The thing is, by slipstreaming the updates in a random order, after testing the resulting image, Windows update shows 0 needed.

So this could mean:

a) the updates were installed correctly

B) the updates were installed according to the order and they left their mark on a file/registry that they are installed

The thing is, by slipstreaming the updates in a random order, after testing the resulting image, Windows update shows 0 needed.

So this could mean:

a) the updates were installed correctly

B) the updates were installed according to the order and they left their mark on a file/registry that they are installed

But if they weren't installed correctly, you would have compatibility issues because of mixed versions of dll's, not to mention that just because the registry entry is there doesn't mean wu/mu will see the hotfix as installed, because it does check file versions afaik

But if they weren't installed correctly, you would have compatibility issues because of mixed versions of dll's, not to mention that just because the registry entry is there doesn't mean wu/mu will see the hotfix as installed, because it does check file versions afaik

Are you sure it checks the files? When I do a Windows update, the hard drive doesn't have that much activity (like when I do a file search) and there are lots of DLL or windows files to update.