1.4.5 Beta2 Broke my WinXP!

forkprong

It would be helpful if you would post your lastsession.ini file as well as the directory structure of your hard drive.

Also helpful would be the COMPLETE history of the 'original' XP cd-rom/iso you've been trying to mod.

You do know that you simply MUST start with a 'virgin' XP iso image as distributed directly by MSFT. No mods, no addons, no hacks.

Edited by newsposter

Should'nt it just create a virtual drive or folder to work in, copy the needed files/info from your CDs/system to that area and remaster an ISO once it's done?

Your 1st and fatal error is here. nLite does not work with a "temporary" folder, everything is done in the same folder. Also it doesn't copy the files anywhere if the files are already present on the HDD.

Ignore flames from people with less than 1000 posts :D . Everybody does stupid things at some point, mocking people always comes back in your face when it's your turn.

Now, have you already tried to uninstall and reinstall nLite so it starts without trying to catch up with the previous crash ?

It would be helpful if you would post your lastsession.ini file as well as the directory structure of your hard drive.

Just did a search for lastsession.ini and and found nothing. I uninstalled nLite and deleted its folder so if it was in there it's long gone. Sorry.

Also helpful would be the COMPLETE history of the 'original' XP cd-rom/iso you've been trying to mod.

You do know that you simply MUST start with a 'virgin' XP iso image as distributed directly by MSFT. No mods, no addons, no hacks.

I wasn't trying to mod a cd/iso at the time. I started this thread more or less as a bug report but I'm also using it to help me remaster.

I am now trying to remaster using my disks which are virgin quality. I might be able to remaster but found a few bugs and curiosities that should be dealt with before I continue:

1. It couldn't find the following files even though they were present on my CD (I put copies in the i386 directory):

- layout.inf (found in i386/inf)

- netrass.inf (found in i386/inf)

- nettcpip.inf (found in i386/inf)

- netmscli.inf (found in i386/inf)

- netserv.inf (found in i386/inf)

- intl.inf (found in i386/inf)

- usbport.sys (found in i386/system32/drivers)

2. nLite also needed syssetup.inf but it wasn't on my CD so I used a version I found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 but I doubt its usefulness since it seems to be related to SP2 and my disks are SP1.

3. nLite only checked one CD. I checked my second disk (out of 8) and found a i386 directory so some files may have been overlooked.

Your 1st and fatal error is here. nLite does not work with a "temporary" folder, everything is done in the same folder. Also it doesn't copy the files anywhere if the files are already present on the HDD.

Look closer and you'll see I make no mention of a temporary folder ;) and NLite DOES ask the user to define a working folder to store the files it nabs from your disks.

Now, have you already tried to uninstall and reinstall nLite so it starts without trying to catch up with the previous crash ?

Yes I have. I tried remastering C:\WINDOWS again just to get more info on the bug but now I'm trying my installation disks. I encountered some oddities as mentioned above.

Just so everyone knows I'm using a HP Pavilion a420n and I had to burn my own recovery CDs.

Look closer and you'll see I make no mention of a temporary folder ;) and NLite DOES ask the user to define a working folder to store the files it nabs from your disks.

From what you say and believing you know what nLite is about, I could only see two possibilities.

Either

-you considered C:\Windows as your source and were expecting nLite to copy the files to a temporary or "virtual drive or folder to work in" (what ever you may now call it, it's the same concept) where they would be processed. But you pointed to C:\Windows when nLite asked for "Windows installation files to be customized" (and not just "Windows installation" like you write). Here you'd just have been mistaken, but you say I should look closer and that "NLite DID ask the user to define a working folder" (not temporary! :rolleyes: ) so I must conclude you were in the second scenario:

-you had a CD as source and choosed C:\Windows as directory for your files to be copied on it, which I won't comment.

I wish you good luck.

yup, you'll need a clean xp disc (not a manufacturer one)

nlite runs like a dream then, you get zero error messages or missing files

as for the hotfixes, you can download ryanvm (google him) 's hotfix pack, it's a .7z file, you just select that as a hotfix in nlite and it'll be up to date then

-bare in mind, xp sp3 is out very shortly, so i'd just use that

there's no file copying needed by nlite, only the whole xpcd to a suitable folder, such as C:\XPCD

as said above, we all start out somewhere :), it's like driving a car, if you do it the wrong way you're heading for trouble :P

Edited by bledd

There's your danm problem you are using recovery disks from HP that are already full bloated!!! You need to do a little research to properly clean your setup disks.

An ORIGINAL XP disk is less than 500 megs. NOT 9 frakkin CD's!

I intend to debloat the CD set that I have so I only end up with one CD, I can only assume nLite was made with OEM disks in mind in addition to retail WinXP CDs.

As for the 500MB, the first CD did end up producing about that many files, but as I mentioned there's a i386 folder on the second CD and I'm worried that I could end up with missing files when I remaster because nLite didn't check for additional CDs.

**exactly** what do you mean by 'remastering c:\windows'??

nLite used C:\WINDOWS instead of an installation CD/DVD as it's remastering source and it ended up destroying my XP installation. Don't ask me what exactly went wrong but nuhi is aware of this now and will likely prevent nLite from using C:WINDOWS in the future.

From what you say and believing you know what nLite is about, I could only see two possibilities.

Either

-you considered C:\Windows as your source and were expecting nLite to copy the files to a temporary or "virtual drive or folder to work in" (what ever you may now call it, it's the same concept) where they would be processed. But you pointed to C:\Windows when nLite asked for "Windows installation files to be customized" (and not just "Windows installation" like you write). Here you'd just have been mistaken, but you say I should look closer and that "NLite DID ask the user to define a working folder" (not temporary! rolleyes.gif ) so I must conclude you were in the second scenario:

-you had a CD as source and choosed C:\Windows as directory for your files to be copied on it, which I won't comment.

I wish you good luck.

nLite was able to choose C:\WINDOWS as the file source with little or no input from me. That's the heart of the bug. If nLite was going to do anything (and it ended up doing *something*) it should have known better than to fool around with C:\WINDOWS. Seeing as I was new to nLite I expected it to know what it was doing (who am I to question it!) but that ended up in disaster. nuhi will fix that no doubt now that he knows.

yup, you'll need a clean xp disc (not a manufacturer one)

nlite runs like a dream then, you get zero error messages or missing files

Bah, I was hoping for OEM support. I hope there's a way to work around this (and possibly support in the future).

as for the hotfixes, you can download ryanvm (google him) 's hotfix pack, it's a .7z file, you just select that as a hotfix in nlite and it'll be up to date then

-bare in mind, xp sp3 is out very shortly, so i'd just use that

Found it, thanks. I may as well practice remastering with nLite just the same. I need it.

there's no file copying needed by nlite, only the whole xpcd to a suitable folder, such as C:\XPCD

as said above, we all start out somewhere smile.gif, it's like driving a car, if you do it the wrong way you're heading for trouble tongue.gif

Obviously there is SOME file copying if its moving files from the CD to an empty folder on your HDD. What's odd is that I can't find to location of the DLL files that went missing when nLite used C:WINDOWS as the source.

nuhi will fix. nuhi will fix :)

Your lack of knowledge busted your install, not nlite.

I'm still trying to figure out how nlite automatically chose a folder. When I run it, I get this...

Nothing chosen in the address field.

2004995880509359032_rs.jpg

Nothing in the drop down.

2004957425255157220_rs.jpg

Hit Browse and Desktop is highlighted.

2004923485110380187_rs.jpg

If you hit OK here, you get a nice message telling you what you've done wrong, and what to do to make it right.

2005687429884250414_rs.jpg

If Nuhi makes any changes to the program, it's not to fix a bug, but to make it more NOOB proof.

Have a nice day.

you need to step back and re-read all the post in this thread mate

nothing is broken for nuhi to 'fix', you've just tackled it from completly the wrong angle (i'm not trying to be mean to you here by the way)

'remastering' your windows cd as you put, sounds like you're trying to botch a hp disc into a windows one, you will fail at this

everyone in this thread is trying to help

as said above, we all start out somewhere smile.gif, it's like driving a car, if you do it the wrong way you're heading for trouble tongue.gif

Obviously there is SOME file copying if its moving files from the CD to an empty folder on your HDD. What's odd is that I can't find to location of the DLL files that went missing when nLite used C:WINDOWS as the source.

nuhi will fix. nuhi will fix :)

you just quoted what i wrote, then reworded it! (the only file copying you need to do is the xpdisc to a suitable folder, like C:\XPCD )

your install is probably screwed if you've messed with C:\Windows

reinstall with your hp disc, and either get a clean xp disc, or just forget about nlite..