Vista ultimate SP1 slipstream & 4gig ram issue?

stevek

I am one of the affected... BSOD during Vista 64 Ultimate install due to 4gig ram installed. I can install fine with only 2gig (1 stick) ram, apply "that" hotfix, then insert the additional 2 gig ram. I tried a couple of weeks ago to "vlite" vista for the purpose only to integrate the hotfix (at which point I noticed the corresponding box already in vlite) however it did not prevent the BSOD issue.

Has anyone tinkering with latest vlite ability to slipstream sp1, that is also affected by the 4gig issue, been able to successfully install the slipstreamed version with 4 gig installed from the start?

Thanks

Hm, it shouldn't make any difference since slipstream does not change the boot image, all depends when your install fails with 4GB. If it fails at the last step then it could help, if it fails after selecting partition before next reboot then doubtful that it will help.

Maybe WheelieUK has MS preintegrated SP1 which has boot image updated as well.

nuhi, please excuse my ignorance about this, but what is the point (advantage) of having that checkbox in vlite to fix the 4gig issue or slipstreaming the hotfix from microsoft if you still have to open the box to remove a stick of ram for the install/reinstall?

Thanks,

stevek

Confirmed that the fix works in x86. Seems like my "hack" does not work for x64. I would adjust and fix that if I had that issue for a few trials. My 64bit machine with 4GB of RAM is working fine, unfortunately.

Some guy said that it helps him in x64 as well...but that I did not buy since I got at least 5 responses that it does not help in x64.

Hm, it shouldn't make any difference since slipstream does not change the boot image, all depends when your install fails with 4GB. If it fails at the last step then it could help, if it fails after selecting partition before next reboot then doubtful that it will help.

Maybe WheelieUK has MS preintegrated SP1 which has boot image updated as well.

No all I did was copy my original OEM DVD to the hard drive and use your program to slipstream SP1 into it and it installed. Prior to the slipstream I also had to remove a 2 gig strip to make it work.

As for the BSOD sometimes it would happen after it booted the cd and just after the Microsoft progress bar then other times it would go as far as selecting the drive for installation and on others it would go right through to the reboot and then BSOD :(