Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Official Windows Post Install Wizard Thread

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Whimsy

Whimsy

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Whimsy

Could you somehow implement the runonce parameters into wpi 2 so that it would be easier and more friendly looking when installing it. It'll also be easier transfering from WPI 1 to 2.

Could you also change the deceiving title of the post to WPI 2 instead of WPI 1.2 beta

When you say "runonce", what do you mean exactly? Do you mean adding registry entries to the runonce section of regedit? Because if you do, it's as easy as creating the proper registry entries, and having WPI add those automatically.

The other possibility that you might be refering to is to have WPI execute parameters/programs directly, rather than have it generate a batch file which is then executed by guirunonce. WPI can do this, but I've disabled the feature for now. If you view the api.js file, you can see that the functions are there.

Icedude
The only thing I would change off the top of my head is that you should emphisize the importance of the double " \ " marks. I know your examples include them, but most users might look at them and say "That just makes it confusing", and later be all like "OH NOS THE PROGRAM IS BORKED!"

Otherwise, it appears to be technically correct. Good job :)

Edit:
Thanks to xper, this thread now has a far more accurate name!

edit v.2:
I wasn't aware of how Labels worked. Thanks for the enlightenment :rolleyes:
...In bed!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

sezz

sezz

• 12 posts
added labels so you can click on the text and/or on the checkbox, also added a 3rd column in 800x600 and 1024x768:

http://public.pixel.li/wpi/bx.rar

thefastone

thefastone
  • 6 posts
Hello!java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:')
smilie
Im new in this forum...and my english is not so good...

I must say this is a really nice piece of software..

I have worked a bit with the WPI.. and i have modified it...ii have implement the arrays... so that the code is now much smaller!
There is a little runtime-bug.. but is now sunday in the morning..i must go to work...
i hope somebody find the bug up to next weekend...

My intention is to modify this Software to obtain an Windows
PREInstallation Wiizard...

is really easy...i hope its ok for the real developer...

The advantage:

You need only 10 minutes to prepare everything for an Installation:
Features:

Use from existing Windows or from WindowsPE-Builder is the same
You can configure the complete Setup incl. Hotfixes+Reg+Apps
Runnig from a WindowsPE you can make a viruscan/use pqmagic to prepare the disk and use ghost to save old files. before a installation...

Welll i hope i find some Beta-Users...
here ist the Software...
:) :D

Attached Files

• Attached File  wpi.rar   86.88KB   554 downloads

Wer denkt etwas zu sein, hat aufgehört etwas zu werden!
///
Wer hat gestern nicht als letzter das Internet ausgemacht???

KoppieKoffie

KoppieKoffie

• 18 posts
Hey,

Great thing except the fact that I'm no script expert and for one reason or another I can't seem to find why wpi won't let me use more than 19 checkboxes...

Anyone...?? :)

Whimsy

Whimsy

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Hey,

Great thing except the fact that I'm no script expert and for one reason or another I can't seem to find why wpi won't let me use more than 19 checkboxes...

Anyone...??  :)

Download bx.zip from the Sezz, and replace the files in the wpiscripts directory. That will let you 30 or so boxes, I believe.
...In bed!

KoppieKoffie

KoppieKoffie

• 18 posts
I'll go check it out!!

Thnx :)

sfamonkey

sfamonkey

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
I can't get it to work. Please Help. I tried with the old release but with that release I got javascripts errors and then with the new one when I select the program I want and hit install I get a box but, nothing will happing. I checked my switchs by making my own batch file and testing it out and it worked Plese help

sfamonkey

sfamonkey

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
Never Mind I'm I bad. I forgot to run install.cmd. Sorry

Delerium

Delerium
  • 3 posts
version 2.0b
I'm getting the help/comment boxes when i move my mouse over the "Begin Install", "Select Defaults", "Select All", "Help", "Exit Installer" buttons. But i don't get them when i move my mouse over my programs.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

I found a bug in 2.0b in the default settings option.
E.G.
When you select prgram 1 to 7 everything goes fine, when you select only option 8, -> option 8 AND 10 will be selected.
OR: When program 13 is selected as default, program 15 is selected in wpi.hta

sfamonkey

sfamonkey

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
I think it's a bug the same thing happens to me, but I don't care.

thefastone

thefastone
  • 6 posts
Hi!

My posted Version is only a alpha...please work with the original Version from author...
I will put this weekend another version online, that contains following features:

up to 4 rows a 10 entries possible (then the space is off :) ) <=Done
tip will be shown on programs also!!!!<=Im working now on it

a new options will be available: "make pre-boot"
(This is my way to develope the software. I want to make possible use the programm to start a windows setup from an existing windows or from a multiboot cd with windows pe! Using the "make pre-boot" i will create BEFORE the Setup all the necesary files like winnt.sif (unnatend.txt); %OEM% Folder (only necessary apps/drivers/files/hotfixes will be in there; reg settings; Ident-Settings; maybe Licence-Input)).
I also want to integrate viruscan routine and backup routine...i want so much....i want more time..... :rolleyes:
Wer denkt etwas zu sein, hat aufgehört etwas zu werden!
///
Wer hat gestern nicht als letzter das Internet ausgemacht???

Kampfwurscht

Kampfwurscht
  • 7 posts
the default bug:

in default.js "prog[001]" and "dflt[001]"
and in config.js "prog[1]" and "dflt[1]"

you must fix it and the button work fine

Delerium

Delerium
  • 3 posts

the default bug:

in default.js "prog[001]" and "dflt[001]"
and in config.js "prog[1]" and "dflt[1]"

you must fix it and the button work fine

i changed in config.js: "prog[1]" to "prog[001]" and "dflt[1]" to "dflt[001]"

But the problem is still there.

Kampfwurscht

Kampfwurscht
  • 7 posts
please change in defaults.js
prog[001] --> prog[1], dflt[001] --> dflt[1]
prog[002] --> prog[2], dflt[002] --> dflt[2]

and so on

i have add the fixed defaults.js as attachment

Attached Files

Whimsy

Whimsy

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
I'm going to release an "interm release" to work out a few things later this week to address a few difficulties some users are having. I hope thefastone and Sezz don't mind me implementing a few of their ideas / code :).

Ideally, I want to have 2.0 "finalized" in time for Service Pack 2. I'm also investigating the idea of making a new "Large Version" available, which would be pre-configured for most users.

Thanks for your support, everyone :rolleyes:
...In bed!

sfamonkey

sfamonkey

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
Right know I use wihu because I think it is much easier to program. I think you should make a small app where all the user needs to do is enter the description, path, if it is selected by default. But you have done a good job with this

Kampfwurscht

Kampfwurscht
  • 7 posts
i have create my own version with some features:

-RunOnceEx
-you can install programs from cd or systemdrive(see config.js)
-if you add a desciption it will display a tooltip
-deselect button
-3 commandlines
-fixed default-button
-1 boxes file for all resolutions

it is a preversion but i hope the are not big bugs

Attached Files

• Attached File  WPI.rar   94.8KB   275 downloads

jgut

jgut

• 22 posts
I'm new to this unattended stuff so when I saw this I knew it was something that would make life a little easier. However I can't seem to get the thing to work. When I finish the setup I get an error message saying "... can't find c:\install\wpi\wpi.hta" and "... can't find c:\install\install.cmd" Can someone give me an idea where i'm going wrong??? :)

Kampfwurscht

Kampfwurscht
  • 7 posts
hi jgut i am bad in english but i will help you:

have you copy the wpi folder to "$OEM$\$1\install\" on your WinXP-CD?

have you add OemPreinstall=Yes in the [Unattended] category from the file winnt.sif?

try my wpi version

i have add a new version(1.3) from my wpi as attachment

Attached Files

jgut

jgut

• 22 posts
Kampfwurscht thanks for the response. In answer to your questions it is "yes" for both. I even tried to use your attachment with no modifications and I got the same results. :rolleyes: Where does the "install.cmd" come from? All my applications and drivers are in the system directory as they are supposed to be but the WPI.cmd doesn't load. :) I have attached my "sif" file for you to look at (if you have time) to see if there is a problem there.

Attached Files

Edited by jgut, 07 August 2004 - 07:10 AM.

Kampfwurscht

Kampfwurscht
  • 7 posts
only for wpi 2.0b

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\wpi\wpi.cmd
%systemdrive%\install\wpi\install.cmd

is the wpi.cmd really on right place?:

winxpcd\$oem$\$1\install\wpi\wpi.hta
winxpcd\$oem$\$1\install\wpi\wpi.cmd

the install.cmd will be generate "on the fly" if you click on the continue button

Edited by Kampfwurscht, 07 August 2004 - 07:45 AM.

jgut

jgut

• 22 posts
Kampfwurscht yes on all. I am going to start over and try this again using WPI 2.0b. I don't know if it matters but I am running SP2, version 2149.

Whimsy

Whimsy

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Kampfwurscht yes on all.  I am going to start over and try this again using WPI 2.0b.  I don't know if it matters but I am running SP2, version 2149.

Once setup gets to the GUI mode, the files for WPI will have been copied to drive c:. That that point...

You should have \install on your system drive.
In the \install folder, you should have the WPI Folder and WPI.cmd. The WPI.CMD File should contain something like start %systemroot%\install\wpi\wpi.hta .
c:\install\install.cmd will probably not exist yet. WPI Creates this file "on the fly". Ideally, you will have created a "default" install.cmd in advance, (by running WPI, and completing it like you would normally. It will create the c:\install\ folder by itself) which will be called when you hit exit (Or else, you will get an error).

I'll try to get 2.5 out in the next few days, which would ideally have a new, perhaps more elegant method of installing stuff, and may also have the new code for the popup "tool tips".

EDIT: Also, while hacking WPI is more than welcome, I'd like it if you would specify what version you are hacking int he file name. For example, something like "WPI 2.0b - Whimsy 1.7.rar" might refer to a hack for WPI 2.0b, but being my own personal "1.7" version. This would greatly simplify things, since many users are still using the 1.x series, and this would simplify support between the two available versions.
...In bed!

big_gie

big_gie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
Hey Whimsy, nice program! :)

I've edited the api.js file because I didn't liked having the window at position (0,0) so I've modified the sizer() function:
if ((screen.width == 640) && (screen.height == 480)) {
  self.resizeTo(640,480);
        self.moveTo((screen.width / 2) - (640 / 2), (screen.height / 2) - (480 / 2));
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 800) && (screen.height == 600)){
  self.resizeTo(800,600);
        self.moveTo((screen.width / 2) - (800 / 2), (screen.height / 2) - (600 / 2));
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 1024) && (screen.height == 768)){
  self.resizeTo(1024,768);
        self.moveTo((screen.width / 2) - (1024 / 2), (screen.height / 2) - (768 / 2));
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 1920) && (screen.height == 1200)){
  self.resizeTo(1024,768);
	}
so it will popup on the midle of the screen. I also added a section for my 1920x1200 display :rolleyes:

I think I'll translate it in french for my own usage, anyone interested?

Edit:
Do you think you could include a special environment variable? %SourceDrive% like in XPlode? :D There is two way to extract this from windows:
  • The file C:\windows\system32\$winnt$.inf
    In the section [Data] there should be a:
    dospath=G:\
    G:\ was the drive letter I installed XP from.
  • The reg key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\\SourcePath] should point to the same thing.
Could one of those 2 be extracted with a HTA? From a .js (WSH) it is possible, dunno about hta...

Whimsy

Whimsy

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Hey Whimsy, nice program! :)

I've edited the api.js file because I didn't liked having the window at position (0,0) so I've modified the sizer() function:

if ((screen.width == 640) && (screen.height == 480)) {
  self.resizeTo(640,480);
        self.moveTo((screen.width / 2) - (640 / 2), (screen.height / 2) - (480 / 2));
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 800) && (screen.height == 600)){
  self.resizeTo(800,600);
        self.moveTo((screen.width / 2) - (800 / 2), (screen.height / 2) - (600 / 2));
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 1024) && (screen.height == 768)){
  self.resizeTo(1024,768);
	}
	else if ((screen.width == 1920) && (screen.height == 1200)){
  self.resizeTo(1024,768);
	}
so it will popup on the midle of the screen. I also added a section for my 1920x1200 display :)

I think I'll translate it in french for my own usage, anyone interested?

Edit:
Do you think you could include a special environment variable? %SourceDrive% like in XPlode? :) There is two way to extract this from windows:
  • The file C:\windows\system32\$winnt$.inf
    In the section [Data] there should be a:
    dospath=G:\
    G:\ was the drive letter I installed XP from.

• The reg key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\\SourcePath] should point to the same thing.
Could one of those 2 be extracted with a HTA? From a .js (WSH) it is possible, dunno about hta...

If it can be done with WSH and JS scripts, it can be done with an HTA file. I use HTA files because, to me, they are a very logical extention to windows scripting :)

I'm considering a feature to make everything into a string that can be manipulated so that you could dynamically select languages while the application runs. While this woulden't be until much later (think 2.9 or later), I figured I should mention it.

Boring crap ahead
For now, I'm kinda torn between three features. On one hand, I am making a handy installer app that will nearly eliminate the need for install.cmd being called, while making it a bit more elegant. There would be no code changes required. Matter of fact, I could implement that functionality that you requested (%sourcedrive), while not stepping far from my goal.

The other item is the removal of the popup balloons. I didn't like the previous implementation, mainly because it was barrowed from a website, and while I am using it within their license requirements (I.E. Pasting their copyright in their source files), I'd like to "reinvent" it so that it's a lot smaller (I don't need 4000 different menu transitions), and so that it fades in. I have an idea how to implement exactly what I would like, but once again, it's a code barrier.

The third is not so much a feature, as it is another project. A while ago, I built a series of scripts called QCDI-Suite. I have a version I've not quite finished yet, which allows for some new features, and I was thinking of adding some more profile features, including a new directory structure, while maintaining compatiblity with the old structure. Does anyone know of an opensource equal to cdimage which accepts most of the same syntax? Cause I'd love to bundle them together :).
...In bed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN