Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

neo

neo

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert Consumer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

Hi Everyone,

Recently Windows Vista SP1 has been released finally and it can be installed in three ways:

• Using Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD
  • Using Windows Vista SP1 Offline Update installer and
  • Via Windows Update.

But Microsoft has stated that Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD can get only Microsoft partners, Business Consumers, MSDN & Technet subscribers and Microsoft Connect users. So there are only two ways to get Vista SP1 installed, but it take long time to install SP1 and terrible to install each n every time in fresh Windows Vista RTM. To solve this problem, I would like to thank vLite Developers and Community; they have released vLite with SP slipstream support and its simple tutorial that helps to slipstream SP in Windows Vista n build your Vista SP1 DVD.

Requirements:

How to:
1. First of all, install vLite and copy all contents of DVD into HDD folder, say F:\Vista
2. Now select the folder where Vista installation source has been copied (F:\Vista)
3. Select the edition which is to be upgraded to SP1

Posted Image

4. Proceed Next and only select Service Pack Slipstream option.

Posted Image

By selecting Windows Vista SP1 offline update installer, extracting and slipstreaming process will be started and it’ll take 60-90 mins to accomplish the task.

5. After completion, create bootable DVD or image and get your Vista SP1 installed simultaneously.

(Only a single edition will be upgraded to SP1 at a time and to make complete Vista SP1….I mean, if you want to create all editions upgraded to SP1 disc. You have to follow the same process for each edition.)

NOTE: Don’t select any other option such as integration, components, tweaks etc when slip-streaming service pack. One more thing, don’t remove any component from vLited Vista image because it may cause interrupted installation.

I have slip-streamed all editions into Vista DVD and tested…all are working perfect. And It has been taken 8-10 hours….slipstreaming speed may depends upon your computer configuration.

Edited by neo, 20 September 2008 - 08:43 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

provoko

provoko
  • 5 posts
Looks good. Nice job.

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
I want to Slipsteam SP1 into all versions of my Vista x64 DVD, but I need information.

It's important to Rebuild/Resize (LOG Tab) with "Apply" after I slipsteam all versions ?

Or it's not recommanded ?

What is the final size of Full DVD with all version with SP1 ?

less than 4.9 Gb (DVD Single Side capacity) ?

Edited by DirtyShady, 03 April 2008 - 05:51 AM.

neo

neo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Looks good. Nice job.

I want to Slipsteam SP1 into all versions of my Vista x64 DVD, but I need information.

It's important to Rebuild/Resize (LOG Tab) with "Apply" after I slipsteam all versions ?

Or it's not recommanded ?

What is the final size of Full DVD with all version with SP1 ?

less than 4.9 Gb (DVD Single Side capacity) ?

If only n only, you wanna make all edition of SP1 x64 DVD then no need to Rebuild image....Slipstream each edition one by one and re-launch vLite after each slipstream process.

The final size of Full DVD is not more than 4.3GB

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
Ok, Rebuild is only usefull if I remove/add components, fixes, or tweaks ?

Rebuild is not usefull only with SP1 Slipstream.

to slipstream SP1 in each Edition, I didn't Re-launch Vlite, after slipstream of edition, I click on run, browse the same folder, choose an other edition and slipstream this edition.

Edited by DirtyShady, 03 April 2008 - 01:01 PM.

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
I need information, I have only Slipsteam SP1 into all Vista versions (HOME, ULTIMATE, etc...), just after I have Create ISO, this ISO ---> ~4.7GB.

After I Create this ISO, I have click on "Apply".....wait.....and try to Re-Create ISO at the end of Rebuilding (Rebuild All), and this new ISO ---> ~4.5GB.

I repeat I don't remove/add anything, I have just Slipstream SP1 in All Vista versions.

What is the best ISO ? I don't know what is the best ISO I could write...I don't understand why there are size difference.

Rebuild fonction is could change only if I remove components, add drivers, etc....but I don't add/remove anything in this case.

Edited by DirtyShady, 04 April 2008 - 11:35 AM.

Saranthin

Saranthin
  • 2 posts
Once you slipstream sp1 into the iso can we go back an remove components then or is it not recommonded once sp1 is already integrated?

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
I don't want to remove components, I didn't change anything, I just Slipstream SP1 into all Vista versions.

I have to different size ISO, if a don't rebuild and If I rebuild.

Edited by DirtyShady, 04 April 2008 - 06:32 PM.

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
If I Slipstream SP1 in all Vista versions without Rebuilding the ISO Image is too big for DVD burn (4,8GB)

If at the and of all SP1 Slipstream (all Vista Editions) I click "Apply" to Rebuilding the ISO Image become Good size (4,3GB)

Very strange I don't remove anything.... :blink:

What does the Rebuilding do ??

Edited by DirtyShady, 05 April 2008 - 04:42 PM.

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
Anyone could help me ?

:hello:

satyrias

satyrias

• 14 posts

I have slip-streamed all editions into Vista DVD and tested…all are working perfect.

All in one disc?

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts

I have slip-streamed all editions into Vista DVD and tested…all are working perfect.

All in one disc?

Me, If I don't use Rebuild fonction (Apply) ISO Image is too big (4.8Go) to write to DVD-R 4.7Go.

bleistift

bleistift
  • 3 posts

Once you slipstream sp1 into the iso can we go back an remove components then or is it not recommonded once sp1 is already integrated?

You can go back and remove things (as far as I can tell from nuhi's other posts).

bleistift

bleistift
  • 3 posts

If I Slipstream SP1 in all Vista versions without Rebuilding the ISO Image is too big for DVD burn (4,8GB)

If at the and of all SP1 Slipstream (all Vista Editions) I click "Apply" to Rebuilding the ISO Image become Good size (4,3GB)

Very strange I don't remove anything.... :blink:

What does the Rebuilding do ??

nuhi explains it in the program, rebuilding removes duplicate files which helps reduce your ISO size. It's a good thing!

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
Is it possible to "shrink" Vista SP1 ISO image with vlite, or it will mess it up?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,920 posts

Donator

yes, you can shrink a Vista Sp1 ISO :)
Posted Image

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
I have a BIG problem, my Vista x64 SP1 FR DVD doesn't work !

I have just slipstream SP1 into all Vista versions (ULTIMATE, HOME BUSINESS, etc....)

keep all components, no changes, just add SP1 x64.

take about 7 hours, When it was finish, I Rebuild Vista folder with "LOG", because If I don't Rebuild ISO was to big to write it.

When Rebuild was finish I create ISO and write it.

My problem :

When Install Vista (fresh install), after I enter product key I have an error with install.wim corrupted or missed.

message : ''Windows cannot open the required file E:\Sources\install.wim. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.".

:no:

Edited by DirtyShady, 25 April 2008 - 04:16 AM.

coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007

• 17 posts
DirtyShady,
I experienced the same problem, but for my side I export all the images (windows ultimate, windows home premium...) from the original install.wim for creating a new one with all the builds x86 et x64, I used WAIK to do it.
If I use oscdimg to create the final iso file the install.wim which was around 4.5gigs, is around 380Mb after ???.
I did not noticed that the first time, so when I tried to install this version in WMWare, it said that it was impossible to find install.wim or this file was corrupt.
So for my point of view the application integrated in vlite or waik as a problem for creating an iso higher than 4.3gigs (i made many tests).
The workaround for me was to use UltraISO and create a bootable DVD. Now it works fine. :rolleyes:

matiello

matiello
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,

I'm using vLite to integrate Service Pack 1 only in my Windows Vista Ultimate.

1 - I've copied all the contents of my DVD.
2 - I've selected "Windows Vista Ultimate"
3 - I've gone to Splitstream and I've selected Service Pack 1 to integrate.
4 - After wait 60-90 minutes. I've gone to ISO and Make ISO.

This way is correct?
Did I create a new ISO of my Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1?

Because my question is about the Apply button. Have I use this button or not?

How can I know if my new ISO have Service Pack 1 integrated without need install the OS?

Thanks
Matiello

Edited by matiello, 26 April 2008 - 01:35 PM.

neo

neo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
Welcome to MSFN Forum !

You can use Apply button if you wanna use only n only Windows Vista Ultimate.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

I have a BIG problem, my Vista x64 SP1 FR DVD doesn't work !

I have just slipstream SP1 into all Vista versions (ULTIMATE, HOME BUSINESS, etc....)

keep all components, no changes, just add SP1 x64.

take about 7 hours, When it was finish, I Rebuild Vista folder with "LOG", because If I don't Rebuild ISO was to big to write it.

:no:

Lol, so say 1hr per version or something? I would never get any version of windows finished in time at that speed.
Here it takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Ramdisk forever..

matiello

matiello
  • 3 posts

Welcome to MSFN Forum !

You can use Apply button if you wanna use only n only Windows Vista Ultimate.

Man, thank you for the info.
But "I can use" or "I've to use" Apply?

Because I make ISO without use Apply button.

Is there a way to know If my ISO have integrated Service Pack 1?

Thanks
Matiello

neo

neo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
Do you wanna use Vista Ultimate only...then You should use Apply...it remove other editions, that helps to reduce size of ISO...One more thing...if you are not using Apply...button..then your ISO will contains all edition with Vista Ultimate Edition with SP1...and rest of all remain SP0.

Locate your installation source file and select your edition in vLite...
It will show you all information...Service Pack level as well as build no.

matiello

matiello
  • 3 posts
Man,

"if you are not using Apply...button..then your ISO will contains all edition with Vista Ultimate Edition with SP1"

This was what I wanted to know.

I don't care about my ISO contains all edition, but I want have Ultimate with SP1. Then I guess the way that I done is correct.

The informations that vLite show is:

Operation System: Windows Vista ULTIMATE
Description: Windows Vista Ultimate
Architecture: 32-Bit
Version: 6.0.6001.18000
vLite: v1.1.6 RC (26/04/2008 04:40:17)

I didn't find any information about Service Pack 1 but I found differents informations between Ultimate and the other versions:

Version: 6.0.1.6001.16386 and the vLite information don't have in other versions only in Ultimate version.

Thanks
Matiello

Edited by matiello, 27 April 2008 - 01:52 PM.

DirtyShady

DirtyShady

• 14 posts
I think I have found my problem....

I have slipstream SP1 into all Vista x64 versions (ULTIMATE, HOME BUSINESS, etc....)

After It was finish (5-6 hours), I have made ISO, but ISO was to big to burn on DVD-R.

I have click on "Apply" button to Rebuilding DVD (Rebuild all versions) and make ISO, and burn my DVD.

But my Vista SP1 (All versions) don't work.

There are a solution to make Vista SP1 (All versions) into DVD-R ?

Edited by DirtyShady, 28 April 2008 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN