[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

neo

[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

Hi Everyone,

Recently Windows Vista SP1 has been released finally and it can be installed in three ways:

• Using Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD
  • Using Windows Vista SP1 Offline Update installer and
  • Via Windows Update.

But Microsoft has stated that Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD can get only Microsoft partners, Business Consumers, MSDN & Technet subscribers and Microsoft Connect users. So there are only two ways to get Vista SP1 installed, but it take long time to install SP1 and terrible to install each n every time in fresh Windows Vista RTM. To solve this problem, I would like to thank vLite Developers and Community; they have released vLite with SP slipstream support and its simple tutorial that helps to slipstream SP in Windows Vista n build your Vista SP1 DVD.

Requirements:

How to:

1. First of all, install vLite and copy all contents of DVD into HDD folder, say F:\Vista

2. Now select the folder where Vista installation source has been copied (F:\Vista)

3. Select the edition which is to be upgraded to SP1

Capture1.jpg

4. Proceed Next and only select Service Pack Slipstream option.

Capture2.jpg

By selecting Windows Vista SP1 offline update installer, extracting and slipstreaming process will be started and it’ll take 60-90 mins to accomplish the task.

5. After completion, create bootable DVD or image and get your Vista SP1 installed simultaneously.

(Only a single edition will be upgraded to SP1 at a time and to make complete Vista SP1….I mean, if you want to create all editions upgraded to SP1 disc. You have to follow the same process for each edition.)

NOTE: Don’t select any other option such as integration, components, tweaks etc when slip-streaming service pack. One more thing, don’t remove any component from vLited Vista image because it may cause interrupted installation.

I have slip-streamed all editions into Vista DVD and tested…all are working perfect. And It has been taken 8-10 hours….slipstreaming speed may depends upon your computer configuration.

Edited by neo

I want to Slipsteam SP1 into all versions of my Vista x64 DVD, but I need information.

It's important to Rebuild/Resize (LOG Tab) with "Apply" after I slipsteam all versions ?

Or it's not recommanded ?

What is the final size of Full DVD with all version with SP1 ?

less than 4.9 Gb (DVD Single Side capacity) ?

Edited by DirtyShady

Looks good. Nice job.

I want to Slipsteam SP1 into all versions of my Vista x64 DVD, but I need information.

It's important to Rebuild/Resize (LOG Tab) with "Apply" after I slipsteam all versions ?

Or it's not recommanded ?

What is the final size of Full DVD with all version with SP1 ?

less than 4.9 Gb (DVD Single Side capacity) ?

If only n only, you wanna make all edition of SP1 x64 DVD then no need to Rebuild image....Slipstream each edition one by one and re-launch vLite after each slipstream process.

The final size of Full DVD is not more than 4.3GB

Ok, Rebuild is only usefull if I remove/add components, fixes, or tweaks ?

Rebuild is not usefull only with SP1 Slipstream.

to slipstream SP1 in each Edition, I didn't Re-launch Vlite, after slipstream of edition, I click on run, browse the same folder, choose an other edition and slipstream this edition.

Edited by DirtyShady

I need information, I have only Slipsteam SP1 into all Vista versions (HOME, ULTIMATE, etc...), just after I have Create ISO, this ISO ---> ~4.7GB.

After I Create this ISO, I have click on "Apply".....wait.....and try to Re-Create ISO at the end of Rebuilding (Rebuild All), and this new ISO ---> ~4.5GB.

I repeat I don't remove/add anything, I have just Slipstream SP1 in All Vista versions.

What is the best ISO ? I don't know what is the best ISO I could write...I don't understand why there are size difference.

Rebuild fonction is could change only if I remove components, add drivers, etc....but I don't add/remove anything in this case.

Edited by DirtyShady

I don't want to remove components, I didn't change anything, I just Slipstream SP1 into all Vista versions.

I have to different size ISO, if a don't rebuild and If I rebuild.

Edited by DirtyShady

If I Slipstream SP1 in all Vista versions without Rebuilding the ISO Image is too big for DVD burn (4,8GB)

If at the and of all SP1 Slipstream (all Vista Editions) I click "Apply" to Rebuilding the ISO Image become Good size (4,3GB)

Very strange I don't remove anything.... :blink:

What does the Rebuilding do ??

Edited by DirtyShady

Once you slipstream sp1 into the iso can we go back an remove components then or is it not recommonded once sp1 is already integrated?

You can go back and remove things (as far as I can tell from nuhi's other posts).

If I Slipstream SP1 in all Vista versions without Rebuilding the ISO Image is too big for DVD burn (4,8GB)

If at the and of all SP1 Slipstream (all Vista Editions) I click "Apply" to Rebuilding the ISO Image become Good size (4,3GB)

Very strange I don't remove anything.... :blink:

What does the Rebuilding do ??

nuhi explains it in the program, rebuilding removes duplicate files which helps reduce your ISO size. It's a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...