[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

neo

[Tutorial] Build Windows Vista SP1 x86 DVD using vLite

Hi Everyone,

Recently Windows Vista SP1 has been released finally and it can be installed in three ways:

• Using Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD
  • Using Windows Vista SP1 Offline Update installer and
  • Via Windows Update.

But Microsoft has stated that Windows Vista SP1 pre-integrated DVD can get only Microsoft partners, Business Consumers, MSDN & Technet subscribers and Microsoft Connect users. So there are only two ways to get Vista SP1 installed, but it take long time to install SP1 and terrible to install each n every time in fresh Windows Vista RTM. To solve this problem, I would like to thank vLite Developers and Community; they have released vLite with SP slipstream support and its simple tutorial that helps to slipstream SP in Windows Vista n build your Vista SP1 DVD.

Requirements:

How to:

1. First of all, install vLite and copy all contents of DVD into HDD folder, say F:\Vista

2. Now select the folder where Vista installation source has been copied (F:\Vista)

3. Select the edition which is to be upgraded to SP1

Capture1.jpg

4. Proceed Next and only select Service Pack Slipstream option.

Capture2.jpg

By selecting Windows Vista SP1 offline update installer, extracting and slipstreaming process will be started and it’ll take 60-90 mins to accomplish the task.

5. After completion, create bootable DVD or image and get your Vista SP1 installed simultaneously.

(Only a single edition will be upgraded to SP1 at a time and to make complete Vista SP1….I mean, if you want to create all editions upgraded to SP1 disc. You have to follow the same process for each edition.)

NOTE: Don’t select any other option such as integration, components, tweaks etc when slip-streaming service pack. One more thing, don’t remove any component from vLited Vista image because it may cause interrupted installation.

I have slip-streamed all editions into Vista DVD and tested…all are working perfect. And It has been taken 8-10 hours….slipstreaming speed may depends upon your computer configuration.

Thanks

:hello: tiwet

Thank You !!!

Any way to slipstream SP1 to Vista Ultimate x64 on my current OS (Vista Ultimate x86)?

I notice that i can't do that, message was i only can do that on a 64 bit OS

You can't do that on 32bit OS...you must have 64bit Windows OSs

such as Windows XP x64 edition, Windows Server 2003 x64 edition and Vista x64 or Windows Server 2008 x64

:hello: tiwet

Thank You !!!

Any way to slipstream SP1 to Vista Ultimate x64 on my current OS (Vista Ultimate x86)?

I notice that i can't do that, message was i only can do that on a 64 bit OS

You can't do that on 32bit OS...you must have 64bit Windows OSs

such as Windows XP x64 edition, Windows Server 2003 x64 edition and Vista x64 or Windows Server 2008 x64

I run Vlite on WinXP Pro SP3, and i do slipstream Vista SP1 on it, it`s running normaly no error inside,only vlite warn me if run vlite on windows XP 32 bit may will make my computer crash, but no error appear. everything run normally and my vista DVD now become Vista SP1 succesfully.

Thank`s neo for your tutorial, great job ..!! :thumbup

sorry about my english, i`m Indonesian..:D

Will I be able to strip vista down after I have slipstreamed it? Or wont it work then? Else I will try to download some iso somewhere (Use my own cdkey ofc) and strip that one down, just hard to find a iso in the right language where my own cdkey works

Will I be able to strip vista down after I have slipstreamed it? Or wont it work then? Else I will try to download some iso somewhere (Use my own cdkey ofc) and strip that one down, just hard to find a iso in the right language where my own cdkey works

First slipstream and then you can vlite your iso but never remove components with the slipstream process. you have to do it in 2 steps

• 2 weeks later...

for some strange reason, vLite will NOT install the WIM dll files. Although I put them in there, it is not working.

I put the x86 dll in the vlite\wimfltr\x86 folder and the 64bit dll in its \vLite\wimfltr\x64 folder

I ALSO put the 32bit dll into the vlite folder. Just nothing works. It keeps saying "Put the WIM filter installation files in the 'c:\program files\vlite\wimfltr\x86' then press OK"...the problem is, they are there and when I press OK, it just says the same thing. I get nowhere. What on earth is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

DLL version reports

6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

Thanks man, this is a great tutorial, all I had to do was follow the exact steps and now I've got my own Vista with SP1.

:thumbup Your Welcome.....glad to know, now you have your own Vista SP1

Happy Windows Computing !!! :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

One point of clarification...

My understanding is that SP1 installation is heavily dependent on all prior hotfixes having been installed. The instructions though don't mention the need to incorporate any hotfixes into the ISO (in fact they specifically state NOT to enable components, etc.). Do I understand correctly that with slipstreaming ONLY the initial Vista installation files and SP1 are needed and the hotfixes can be ignored? (In case it matters, I'm installing Vista Business.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide a prompt reply.

My understanding is that SP1 installation is heavily dependent on all prior hotfixes having been installed. The instructions though don't mention the need to incorporate any hotfixes into the ISO (in fact they specifically state NOT to enable components, etc.). Do I understand correctly that with slipstreaming ONLY the initial Vista installation files and SP1 are needed and the hotfixes can be ignored? (In case it matters, I'm installing Vista Business.)

One additional question... assuming that the answer to the above question is yes, then is it also correct to assume that once I have this slipstreamed SP1 version installed that Vista will recognize that the 50+ hotfixes are not needed, or might auto-update then still prompt me to install them?

First slipstream and then you can vlite your iso but never remove components with the slipstream process. you have to do it in 2 steps

Not sure I understand what you mean by "doing it in two steps". Please elaborate. Thanks.

One additional question... assuming that the answer to the above question is yes, then is it also correct to assume that once I have this slipstreamed SP1 version installed that Vista will recognize that the 50+ hotfixes are not needed, or might auto-update then still prompt me to install them?

No need to integrate pre-Vista SP1 updates, Service Pack is cumulative update and covers all last updates.

and Vista doesn't prompt to install pre-Vista SP1 update after installation.