Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Updatexp 2.0

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Here is a new version with some changes requested by Tbone2. He beta tested it and gave it the thumbs up for posting. The instructions have changed a little.

No longer distributed!

Changes to version 2.0:
Controlled by updatexp.ini instead of text files
Will not create a powertoys directory unless you make one under install
Time delay before rebooting is adjustable

Here are the steps to use UpdateXP to get a GUI look, but still get a simple install:

1. Follow AaronXP's guide to produce a SP1 CD with the Rollup slipstreamed. (This is optional as you may just drop the Rollup in with the hotfixes)

2. Create an "$OEM$\$1\install" directory on the root of the CD

3. Create at least these 3 directories under "install": hotfix1, hotfix2, addons

4. Place any hotfixes into either "hotfix1" or "hotfix2" as outlined on this site
(You could drop the Rollup in here, if you don't have the patience for the slipstream. )

4. Place any additional switchless exe installs that you have into "addons"
(note: this is where I place the directx and mdac installs, these must be the switchless
versions, you could also put the switchless Media Player, DotNet, etc here -even program
installs if they are switchless - just don't let any exe files get in here that you don't want to run!!) Note: addons run before either type of hotfixes

5. If you have registry tweaks, combine them all into a file called registry.reg and place it in the "install" directory.

6. Place all the files from my zip file into the "install" directory (See advanced user section for exceptions - note updatexp.ini must be in "install").

7. Add this line to your winnt.sif under [GuiRunOnce]
"%systemdrive%\install\updatexp.exe" don't use the quotes of course!
Make sure that under [Unattended] you have "OemPreinstall=Yes"

8. That's the basics -- when future updates come out , just drop them into the appropriate directory. The real beauty, besides the true GUI, is the ease of changing things.

Advanced users only:

The default is for a 60 second countdown and reboot after the hotfixes are installed. After the reboot, the file "cleanup.cmd" is run. However, you can turn this off or adjust the delay as indicated below.

1. Skip the reboot by editing updatexp.ini to include reboot=0

2. Skip the cleanup.cmd (cleanup.cmd deletes the install directory after the reboot) by editing updatexp.ini to include cleanup=0

3. Adjust the countdown time before the reboot by editing updatexp.ini to set rebootdelay= (any time between 10 and 90)

4. To speed up the install, place the files cmdlines.txt and restoff.reg in the $OEM$ directory. (This disables the system restore service so you may need to reenable it if you love system restore)

5. If you have a need to install items that need switches and\or msi files, I suggest using the "Windows Update" - runonce method. (Using runonce maintains the nice GUI look and you can simply add these items to your registry.reg file)
As in:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\zz110]
"1"="C:\\Temp\\clean.exe"
@="Clean"

6. alternately you could simply add your commands to cleanup.cmd

7. You will notice an oddball file in the zip that you get from me - Tweakui.lnk.
If you make another directory under "install" called "powertoys" and place the link there along with the extracted (obtain elsewhere) Tweakui.exe -- warning not the installer, but the Tweakui.exe that gets placed in system32, it will get nicely installed for you.

UpdateXP 2.0

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
:rolleyes:

Is it possible to use command switches rather than the INF? trying to keep my directory system tidy :) :D
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Nice work, techtype. Guess I'm gonna have to speed up my XPCREATE now ... I just wish you'd write in .CMD script, so your code would be easier to copy ...

@Gism0: I believe it is all deleted after use, along with the whole "installs" directory. Techtype wouldn't trash your tidy install!

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

@Gism0: I believe it is all deleted after use, along with the whole "installs" directory. Techtype wouldn't trash your tidy install!

hehe yeah, but my cd directory!! thats a whole extra file :)

I just use UpdateXP to recursively install hotfixes, it looks a lot nicer than a batch file, plus it makes it easy to add more hotfixes later
Wise man say, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03
Oh, THAT directory structure! Good point. Perhaps NO ini would use default values. ... did you try to delete the INI from the CD after installation ...

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
@GreenMachine

This is really aimed at people who want the simplest possible install. Even though your GreenMachine XPcreate is so well laid out that it can be quite simple, it does intimidate some by it's very comprehensive nature. That being said, I use a GreenMachine CD for three reasons:

1. I have mine tuned to do a complete install with all the critical updates with no reboot needed - one shot and I'm in - my need is for a fully updated install without a lot of extras.

2. I prefer knowing that many of the new files have been integrated into the CD.

3. I believe that running the actual hotfix installs is the best insurance that everything is updated correctly (this also applies to the UpdateXP method)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
Can I delete:
cd_eject.vbs
cleanup.cmd
TweakUI.lnk

if i have each of these features disabled in the ini?

edit: oh and qchain.exe - i'm only installing post-SP1 hotfixes

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
I beleive that it will skip over qchain and cd_eject if you delete them. You can also delete cleanup.cmd, but only if you disable it in the ini. You can certainly delete the tweakui.lnk also. I would think that the only required files are updatexp.exe and updatexp.ini as well as wbdCH34i.dll and wwsop34i.dll. I have not tried it without the updatexp.ini, but it may well error out. At any rate, you would loose your ability to disable cleanup.cmd - which is inserted into runonce and you would revert back to a 60 second pause and reboot.

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

I assume i need to keep
wbdCH34i.dll
wwsop34i.dll

but can I install them into system32 instead of keeping them in that dir?

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Ouch, you caught me. Those 2 dll files are required - see how nicely I edited that into my post - just like it was there all along. UpdateXP should find them in the system32 directory, but you must let us know! :)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Ouch, you caught  me. Those 2 dll files are required - see how nicely I edited that into my post - just like it was there all along. UpdateXP should find them in the system32 directory, but you must let us know!  :)

i'll try it out and see :rolleyes:

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
yep - it found them fine :) only have the exe and ini in that dir, with reboot disabled and cleanup disabled

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Wow, what a fast report. Thanks for the test. It's always fascinating to see what people think of - and great when it works with no errors. I tried to include a lot of error checking, so that it would not error out if some things were not found or were outside the normal parameters. However, there is nothing like an independent test to shake out all the bugs that the programmer never thought of. :)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
hehe :) you did a great job on the program, thanks for making my life easier :rolleyes:

zbeta

zbeta

c:\>debug M$

• Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined 17-November 03
Simple and powerful :) Still the best
Google is your friend, you just have to ask!

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Would you consider adding your instructions to your archive as a text file ?

I made a 'word' doc and a 'text' doc containing the instructions you posted for anyone that wants to d/l it and include it in the archive for future reference...
(its a self extracting RAR)

This may save lots of ppl from having to do the same thing ?

Great work, thanks LOADS !

Kay

Attached Files

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
@Oh Kay

Done ---

Thanks so much, I'm not much of a writer. So any help is greatly appreciated. --I even tried to snooker Aaron into writing a guide.-- I've already written more (here) about this little program than all my other writing put together over the last 20 years. :)

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
  • Joined 17-August 01
techtype, I've been meaning to do that, but been really busy with everything. I'll try and get a simple page created for you tomorrow :)

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
fergot to ask - what will happen if i delete the addons folder? I don't use it.

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
:) Oh that will be neat indeed! Thanks Aaron!!! :rolleyes:

Edit:

@GismO

It should skip right past it with no complaints.

Gism0

Gism0

Huh?

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
:)

I wish everyone coded their programs the way you did :rolleyes:

Numinous

Numinous

Supercalafragalistic XPalidosious

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 30-September 03
have you not tried using this from cmdlines .. it may work .. hotfix loops work no problem from there .. fast too with the /o switch .. may give you the one shot install .. alternatively theres the winnt.sif..

[SetupParams]
UserExecute="%SystemDrive%\Install\******.exe"

..option that runs at T-9 and doesnt spin up the cd like cmdlines.txt, runs straight from the hdd

techtype

techtype

* Seeker of Knowledge *

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 18-October 03
Great suggestions, I thought you were going to try it? Maybe one of our adventurous testers will give it a run and let us know? If I was not out of virtual CDs :) , I'd try cmdlines first.

Numinous

Numinous

Supercalafragalistic XPalidosious

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 30-September 03
i may just give it a whiz .. i just moved everything to cmdlines for the one shot install .. chuffed with it .. thats why i havent tried yet :) already got 3 different setup's on the go .. may be time for a 4th :rolleyes: ..i gotta try this baby out sometime soon .. virtual cd's :D good one

Oh_Kay

Oh_Kay

TechnoBabe

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Help ! I just know I've done something silly, cause I can't be the only one thats run in to this since using v2, but I have just discovered a problem with v2 that I didin't have with v1...

During the install, I get a dialog box warning me about system restore being off during WMP9 install, which just turned my nice unattended in to a little bit of an attended again, as it stops there until it gets user input :D

Must I Slipstream WMP9 for this to work with SysRestore off.. ?

Or do I need to call the install from a different place ?

I'm stuck.. :)

K. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN