detected unfinished n-lite operation

hi,

tried out my first steps to use this program.

All went OK till at the end n-lite was building-up the .iso file, suddenly I got the famous blue screen.

Since then every time I start n-lite, and press the Next button, I get following message.

"Detected unfinished n-lite operation. Don't reuse broken installations.

Please copy a clean Windows installation files and redo the process."

I removed n-lite, manually removed the n-lite directory in the program files folder and also removed the two .ini files from n-lite sitting in my C:\windows folder.

Did a registry clean-up and then installed back n-lite.

Result is still the same error message.

How to solve?

(using 1.4.5 beta 2)

by the way, where can I specify the folder where n-lite can drop the .iso file?

thanks,

newbie Marjo

Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you are not someone else posting under a new identity :D

It is strange it's the second time in a week we see that message and the same suspect behaviour of nLite that has never been posted before. There are few things to know:

-there is a nLite forum. Surely a Mod will move this over.

-nLite at first did not support MCE, I'm not sure it changed (someone please jump on me if I'm wrong)

-nLite does not work with a temp directory, either you let nLite copy the installation files ("the source") from a cd/dvd to a directory on the HDD and it will work directly on those files, in that same directory, suppressing some and modifying others, or you directly point to a directory on the HDD where you have those files (you copied them yourself) and the same happens. At the end of process, it will stop and ask you where (and if) to create and how to name the iso file but the new set of Windows files is already done. So I'm not sure you were "at the end and n-lite was building-up the .iso file" in which case you wouldn't ask your last question.

-nLite does leave ini files in that working directory and in the nLite Program folder, not (to my knowledge) in C:\windows unless you set it as the working directory. Of course in that case, you kill your running Windows and maybe end up with a blue screen. Please tell us it's not the case.

To solve your problem, maybe restart with a fresh set of files as source in a directory like C:\XPLITE\ or something.

Edited by Ponch

Thanks for the repy, Yes I'm a real newbie :blushing:

Don't know how, but i screwed up my windows, I re-installed the OS again, and run nlite.

This time it went OK till the creation of the iso file.

Process starts in preparation mode for creationn the iso file but nothing moves. (even let it run overnight)

Then I donwloaded CDimage.exe and applied it in the nlite install folder.

The iso creation process starts but I get the message at the end that it failed.

Also tried the direct burning function, but it does not work either (Use feeeware CDburnerXP Pro 3.0)

Must say that the estimated file size is about 2.8 GB but there is plenty of space free on my dirve (10 GB) so this can't be the problem either.

Any ideas?

What if I would go to a previous version?

thanks

Marjo from Aalst (BE)