How to give VISTA the performance of Xp for gaming?

twista

Anyone know how? I already disabled unneeded services and even turned off the themes and extra crap. In TF2 its laggy compared to XP even with lower settings. For example on vista i can look @ one part of a map on a game and get 30fps, but on xp i get 50-60+ at the same spot

All drivers are updated, but it just seems Vista sucks for gaming :realmad:

my computer is not a sissy either

e8400 @3.8hz

2gb ddr2 800 ram

8800 GT ..

500gb sata hdd 16mb cache 7200

Anyone else see this problem with vista? Its fine for everything expect gaming.

Windows Vista recommended system requirements

Home:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

512 MB of system memory

20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

Home Premium / Business / Ultimate:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 GB of system memory

40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

WDDM Driver

128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

32 bits per pixel

You have an e8400 and only ddr2 800 ram??

Whats your motherboard support? Surely it can suopport much higher ram than that.

The ram is taken from my old amd dual core system which was only used for 2 weeks since amd sucks for the games i play (tf2 loves the cache) =]

specswe2.gif

What ram speed would you run for a e8400 type system?

Vista Ultimate sp1

Edited by twista

Both are at 3.8ghz just the bus is different, but theres no performance difference from what i read on here.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6312760

and on vista:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6312760

Guess ill just boot into XP for gaming because this is unacceptable.

just overclocked the video card and cant even get over 13000. Vista sucks for gaming in my book. I uninstalled the official nvidia drivers and got the same crappy performance with omegas.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=6320421

I've never played the game so I don't know much about it... but from what little searching I've done...

doesn't TF2 have some DirectX10 textures?? if so, this could be a good reason for the drop in frame rate if the game is actually partially displaying in DirectX10 with higher graphics/shaders. Which would be logical that Vista would run slower if it actualy is running DX10 shaders, where as XP only can run DX9.

Vista is like a bloated Linux distro. It won't run older windows programs properly, it won't run newer windows programs properly, and proper drivers aren't out yet.

If it weren't for games i would've been running Linux all the time, as you can surf the net fast and safely and it has all the multimedia capabilities you need. XP for everything else. Besides, Vienna is coming out next year, so why bother?

Vista is like a bloated Linux distro. It won't run older windows programs properly, it won't run newer windows programs properly, and proper drivers aren't out yet.
Runs old and new applications fine here. You're partially right about drivers. Some companies don't have decent drivers out, but most do. nVidia drivers aren't fantastic. ATI is more on the ball when it comes to Vista.
If it weren't for games i would've been running Linux all the time, as you can surf the net fast and safely and it has all the multimedia capabilities you need. XP for everything else. Besides, Vienna is coming out next year, so why bother?
Linux has never been all that great here. Performance has never been quite there for me (when running with a GUI. When running just the terminal it's pretty quick, which is to be expected).

Vienna is coming out in 2010. This is 2008.

All drivers are updated, but it just seems Vista sucks for gaming :realmad:
Well, you´re the one that uses nVidia with Vista. Before hitting on Vista, blame nVidia first; they simply can´t make their drivers/chipsets work 100% wit Vista.
... since amd sucks for the games i play (tf2 loves the cache) =]
Vista sucks for gaming in my book. I uninstalled the official nvidia drivers and got the same crappy performance with omegas.
Runs old and new applications fine here. You're partially right about drivers. Some companies don't have decent drivers out, but most do. nVidia drivers aren't fantastic. ATI is more on the ball when it comes to Vista.

Indeed, good insight :).

If you want to run vista, YOU have to know HOW to build a computer to use it.

It´s always someone else that sucks, or the parts they used, but never see how much they self failed.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and redid my Sager 5793 laptop, wiping XP64 and putting Vista x64 on it. It's not my first time using Vista, but my first time on this laptop.

As far as gaming, I don't have TF2 on this laptop. I put 1701AD, Tribes 2, and a dreamcast emulator on it and they all run great. Mind you Tribes 2 is *seven* years old (it also has a fully working widescreen mode, which was ahead of it's time in 2001!). It not only predates Vista, but it predates 64-bit Windows, AND XP, so the fact that it runs, and runs well, is a testament to Vista's compatibility.

Benchmarking is strange. I have another hard drive, which I was using as the test drive for Vista, and on that install my 3DMark06 score came out at just over 9200, which is less than 1% behind XP64. On this install, with the same drivers and configuration, it's only hitting 8800. I'm not sure what could be causing this, but I will put the other drive back in later on and see if it's something with the laptop itself or the installation. I know I did a firmware update at some point, I don't know if it was before or after the previous benchmarks. I also don't know if this is affecting performance outside of 3DMark06.

For the record, I used Vista x64 at RTM way back over a year ago, and gaming on it was never bad. At the time it was about 5% off from XP64's scores in 3DMark06, but as above all of my games ran fine. I do know some configurations are known to be problematic, especially SLI setups. I have not had experience with those so I don't have any input on how to deal with it.