Compilation of Creative Sound Blaster Live! drivers for Windows 9x

... found that a Dosstart.bat had been created in C:/Windows which called a C:/SBPCI/APINIT (whatever that is) file. Deleting the Dosstart.bat file cured the problem.
Sounds like DOSSTART.BAT "thinks" it's running from native MS-DOS, outside Windows.

APINIT.EXE is the native MS-DOS mode SB audio card "initializer" [sB Live! has similar SBINIT.EXE], and cannot run from within Windows without freezing the system (which is proof of poor programming). :(

Found some info on APINIT:

http://www.tandg.bz/tandg/downloads/Sound%...CI/DOSUTILS.TXT

FYI, if you plan on playing DOS games from native MS-DOS (outside Windows), check out this guide [applies to SB Live! cards, but the principle is the same]:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip18.htm#DGSBL

HTH

• 11 months later...

Main Driver Set (4.42 MiB)

mirror 1: http://www.divshare.com/download/6107747-45d

mirror 2: http://www.mdgx.com/sbdrv/sblive2.zip

Creative EMU10K1 sound devices supported:

CT4620 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00211102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen I)

CT4670 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen I) Value

CT???? -- PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_002F1102 - Sound Blaster Live! motherboard integrated

CT4760 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80401102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen II)

CT4780 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80221102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

CT4790 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80231102 - Sound Blaster PCI512 (OEM)

CT???? -- PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80251102 - Sound Blaster Live! motherboard integrated

CT4830 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80261102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen II OEM) Value

CT4831 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80311102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

CT4832 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80271102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

CT4850 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80511102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

CT4870 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80281102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

CT4871 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80321102 - Sound Blaster Live! Value

SB0060 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80611102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen III) 5.1

SB0100 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80621102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen III) 5.1

SB0102 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80641102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen III) 5.1

SB0100 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80661102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen III) 5.1 (Unofficial)

If you have a Creative Sound Blaster Live! card that is not recognised by these drivers, then please post your PCI ID.

The PCI ID can be found using regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\PCI

Look for a key starting with VEN_1102&DEV_0002, and copy the key name.

:hello:

First up I'd like to say thanks to RetroOS, MDGx and others for the work you've done. Trying to keep the world from forgetting these great cards is no easy task.

I've got not one but TWO SB Live! cards that are not detected by this compilation or any other driver I can find, for that matter. The first one is a CT4670 with this device ID:

VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_05

Yes the "Subsys" is eight zeroes. The other one is a SB0220 (infamous on the net for being a PITA, Creative don't even list it as a legacy card on their site.) and it's device ID is:

VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_0A

Again the "Subsys" is eight zeroes. For some odd reason this one accepts the driver for "Creative MultiMedia Interface" and "Creative Gameport Joystick" but not for the audio card itself.

I've been fighting these cards for almost straight two days now, trying all the drivers I can find and even trying to modify them. I even got the original driver cd for the ORIGINAL Live! but the card disappeared many years ago. Also, it doesn't help that my ISP has capped my "foreign" download speed for the month, so I can forget downloading any ISO's or other big compilations until next month.

Now where did I put my rope... :(

UPDATE 1: I moved the SB0220 down one PCI slot and now the "Subsys" reads 80651102 and as it isn't on the list, it doesn't work. Might as well try this with the other one.

UPDATE 2: Ok I think I found some VXD drivers that work for my SB0220. These seem to install fine but just now I got a 'Cthelper' illegal operation error. At least I'm getting somewhere.

UPDATE 3: Winamp Waveout plays fine but once I try DirectSound I get BSOD (Fatal exception ... in VXD DSOUND(03)). I've installed DirectX 9.0c. Seems to be a common problem but haven't found a solution yet.

UPDATE 4: Finally! Fixed the DirectSound problem by rolling back to DirectX 5.2 using DirectX Eradicator and then installed DirectX 7. Should've told myself that DX9 would never play nice with VXD drivers. Now for the DOS drivers...

UPDATE 5: I can't get AudioHQ or Surround Mixer to work. AudioHQ gives me an "Not Enough Disk Space" error when trying to install (on a 10GB drive). Surround Mixer installs but gives me an "Failed to load plugins" error when trying to start.

UPDATE 6: Just realized that my motherboard doesn't support SB 16 Emulation (PCI SERR thingy). FML!

Edited by Mouseplay

Hi Mouseplay,

Have you tried Creative's Liveware 3 web release drivers for the CT4670?

ftp://ftp.kernel.ee/pub/draiverid/creative/liveware3/lw30full_9x.zip 28.9 MB

These are the last Liveware drivers before Creative ended Liveware support. This package contains the VXD drivers and a few applets; Launcher, Surround Mixer, and AudioHQ. The driver version (EMU10K1.VXD 4.11.01.0711) is not as recent as RetroOS's package (EMU10K1.VXD 4.12.01.0906), but it should work right out of the box. You can apply update afterwards. The applet's versions are the same as the ones that RetroOS posted.

As for the SB0220, it's a whole different monster. The card shipped with broken drivers for Windows 98SE. The WDM drivers causes pops, cracks, and occasional BSODs. Printed instructions on a flier were included in the box specifically for Win 98SE users on how to remove the WDM drivers and install the VXD drivers to "resolve the issue". Unfortunately, the VXD drivers caused more problems than it fixed. Although the popping and cracks were gone, it caused many games and applications to CTD, or even reboot, as well as having poor sound quality. I went back to the WDM drivers since these were better quality. I lived with it for two years before finally going back to my old Sound Blaster Live! Value. That was like a eureka moment as everything worked right for once.

When I was using the SB0220, aside from the said issues, all the applets worked, so I think you may have downloaded an incomplete driver package that is missing the Win 98SE drivers, even though the poster of those drivers listed: "Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP Windows 2000 Workstation, Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2003 Server."

AFAIK, Windows 95 should not be in there, so I think the poster simply copied a generic list from somewhere.

A quick search at your link yielded: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=648381

The OS listing in this set is more accurate. Have you tried this one? Otherwise, you should probably dump the SB0220, or save it for Win XP. And the Liveware 3 drivers does not work with this card in case you're wondering.

HTH.

Hi Mouseplay,

Have you ...

HTH.

I was aiming for a DOS arcade setup, but since my motherboard doesn't support SB16 emulation (not even with a Ensoniq AudioPCI card) and I couldn't get the TV-out to output PAL in color in DOS, I gave up on it. I'm currently just running it in Windows 98 using the SB0220 and the drivers I mentioned (these) without all the applets. Seems to run fine so far.

But thanks for checking into this.

• 10 months later...

I've added the pure DOS Sound Blaster 16 Emulation drivers for the Live!

These are for Windows 95/98, but not Me since Me does not have pure DOS access aside from the EBD.

See first post.

EDIT: Windows Me with the EBD IO.SYS patch could in fact run SB16 DOS Emulation! :sneaky:

How?

It requires emm386....

• 5 months later...

Wonder if anyone can solve the following situation?

I dug up an old Sound Blaster Live! install CD which is labeled under the Dell brand.

It has the following:

Sound Blaster Live! Value Software.

Dell Part #2427U

Build"SBLV-DLOEM-W3-L7

Windows 98 Driver

Version 4.06.624

Windows NT 4.0 Driver

Version 4.06.624

Now I have on hand the following SB Live! cards, and am perplexed as to which one (if any) the CD is for.

Model # SB0200

CT4830

CT4780

and a CT5807

Does anyone know if that CD is for one of these cards, none of which bares the words "DELL".

I do recollect though, a very long time ago, pulling one of these from a Dell PC---which might not have been the original card that particular PC came with, being that it was found on the curb.

If the CD is not for any of the above cards, does anyone know what Sound Blaster Live! Value it might have been for?

Now you might say "can you not make the effort to try each of them, etc"

But I tried something like this before, and it would seem to really mess the PC up when it comes to the sound applications!

Some stuff seems to interfere with the next endeavor: things "pop up" with no thing to work with---and I end up with a grand mess.

Anyone having tried to install a slew of drivers (one after the other in succession) for an individual sound card-match, not quite knowing if any of those drivers will work--should know what can happen. I do not really what to have to experience that horrid situation again!

Model # SB0200

CT4830

CT4780

and a CT5807

Check the PCI ID's for each card against those listed in the CD's INF file(s). See post #1 for the ID's of the CT4780 and CT4830 and instructions on where in the registry to look for the others.

Thank you, Jumper.

Whilst I did explore the CD ere my first post, I could only find "Sound Blaster Live" referenced in the "read me" files,

and no mention of version numbers! Odd thing is, that none of these "SB' cards look remarkably different from each other.

"Sound Blaster Live" is a marketing brand name for a family of products (chips / boards). "Live" is the version number! The string "SB Live!" is often used instead.

Did you find the INF file(s) with PCI ID's (PCI\VEN_1102...)? (Don't expect to find "Sound Blaster Live" in them, but maybe "SB Live".)

Perhaps: SBLIVE.inf or OEMEMU.INF

also: Ctom10k1.inf, Ctcq10k1.inf , Wsi210k1.inf, kx.inf, wdma10k1.inf....

Indeed I have jumper!

The OEMEMU.INF proudly proclaims ---CT4780 - SBLive! Value......!!!!

Now I am wondering if these two CT48780 cards (which do not have "Dell" anywhere labeled, written, or inscribed thereon,

will work with that Dell CD, or.....if Creative had CT48780 cards---that had no thing to do with dell.

I hope they are the cards that this CD's drivers will get working.

Thanks for your excellent help.

OK! It works in my Compaq 5900z.

I assume the other will work too!

Now I've to get the Ct4830 and the SB0200 working and it's Sound Blaster frenzy time!

Edited by cyberformer

• 2 months later...

Hello Forum :-)

I want to install DOS Drivers for Soundblaster Live. My Hardware ID is:

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102&REV_04

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&REV_04&CC_0401

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&CC_040100

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&CC_0401

my card should be: CT4670 - PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_00201102 - Sound Blaster Live! (Gen I) Value

which Driverpackage will i need to download to install the correct DOS drivers? I already tried

sbldos.zip: Pure DOS Drivers 1999 Release and

sbldos2.zip: Pure DOS Drivers 2000 Release

but instantly after clicking setup.exe an error message occured "not enough free space" (there are a few GBs of free space!)

Computer Specs:

AMD K6-2/500 / 512MB RAM

Win98SE

thanks,

Left-Handed-Cat

Edited by LeftHandedCat

• 1 month later...

When i use the driver pack, from the first page, my pc hangs while trying to install "Creative SB16 Emulation".

I have a sb live value type.

Of course, as long as i don't remove the soundcard, it now stays in this loop...

How can i get rid of the drivers again, except by reinstalling?

Then, there are two iso's on mgmx's download page - what is the difference between them?

Cheers,

Ragnar G.D.

How can i get rid of the drivers again, except by reinstalling?

Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5

Thank you Foxbat, the software did the deinstallation fine.

But.

No matter which driver i tried it with, the result remains.

Probably my SB Live Value has a problem, or there is some incompatibility with the AM2NF2-VSTA, or with something else (i had, i.e., an incompatibility of this card with a Radeon 9700 Pro - atm there is a GeForce 6600 inside, though).

Well, there is still my trusted Audigy, which will work better with Windows 7 anyway, so i'll try that instead.

Addendum: Audigy works fine on W98SE, XP and W7 - mission acoomplished.