Extremly High Disk Access Rate On Idle

Swimming_Bird

I've pretty much been having this issue since vista came out over a year ago. Here's my original post on the issue: http://www.msfn.org/board/Constant-disk-access-t91567.html

Unfortunately I've been having this issue for the entirety of the time. My solution has been to suspend the machine when i'm not using it but I really hate doing that.

I was wondering what the hell is causing this access and if there was anything I could do to kill it. I've turned off the search indexer and it's not the issue. I'm thinking it's shadow copy. This is not a feature I need if I need to shut that down.

If you look at process monitor's log of disk activity, if it's an svchost.exe causing it (which I believe it could be, as I remember your original post), we need to look inside that svchost to see which services reside inside it.

However, if you are not using readyboost or superfetch, or the search indexer, I would disable all three to start. Also, if you aren't running SP1, I would strongly recommend the upgrade as soon as you are able as well, as some of these issues are caused by Windows Update scanning (via trustedinstaller.exe) prior to SP1.