What Dirs Names u Suggest

aviv00

Hello

what dirs name that differ then the default u choose in ur nlited xp or Suggest to set

my suggestion is:

Windows > WIN

Documents and Setting > User [ was Users but i wanna install vista at same partition didn't test it yet tho]

Program Files > Pro

Thx in advanced

Edited by aviv00

I myself use "users" "program files" and "windows", but I like the shorter names. The idea is if you replace them with shorter names, it reduces the size of registry/ini files (saving of few bytes multiplied many times). It's not about saving storage space (that's insignificant).

However, I haven't gotten around lately to make new installation. I wouldn't change 'windows' not because programs 'expect' it but because the difference is too small.

Just my opinion.

GL

IMO Microsoft was on the right track with dropping 'documents and settings' down to 'users' and getting rid of the 300 'my ' prefixes but should have kept going and changed 'program files' to 'programs'

I also wish they would have added a Root:\Games as a base dir for games (they could have even cluttered it up with game explorer crap) as long as i could go to 1 folder and see what crap im not using is taking up the most space -oh wait i *CAN* do that c:\windows\winsxs :whistle:

I use:

windowz

programz

profilez (users / documents and settings)

commonfilez (i just don't like spaces in directory names...)

edit: have been using these before vista came about... otherwise I would probably have went with user(s) instead of profilez... but I'm used to it now so I'm not going to change...

p.s. I hate those stupid hardcoded utilities that won't use the %programfiles% variable or at least let you choose a custom installation dir, and refuse to even use installers/programs that behave this way...

Edited by benjamminzIS

Gr8. With my next installation I will take it to the end - P, W and U. :)

I already use T as Temp - that's leftover from my Amiga days.

And of course, my user name is always one letter long. :)

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Appz, Profiles, WINDOWS here :rolleyes: Like it cause it always works with BAT and CMD files (some of them have some problems with pathes like "Program Files" or I just can't make it right :blushing:

Found one Chinese IM program QQ Messanger that re-creates "Program Files" directory (installs some part of itself there), other programs work without problem.

And there is something like "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stat\F89E7781.stt" (didn't found what creats it :realmad: