[SOLVED] Big trouble with nLited SP3 WinNT & WinNT32 installation

BikinDutchman

aittersu, I never got a popup during GUI, just a crash, did you look into your Setuplog.txt?

I would not touch wbemoc.inf, do you have the nlite-modified version?

If you want me to look, please upload your:

-DOSNET.inf, TXTSETUP.sif, Setuplog.txt, Setuperr.log, and wbemoc.inf

-Give me a day to look at it, remove all personal data (probably nothing at all but you never know)

Regarding: WINTT.exe: you may be one of the few, and discover new aspects of this wonderful installation process.

I like the PXE setup but eventually switched to WinPE 2.0 sessions to start WinNT32.exe. I start my WinPE sessions from a usb stick.

BikinDutchman,

It would be nice if you could take a look at my setupfiles.

I uploaded them in a zip-file called "setupfiles.zip".

Good luck with the files. I did not touch dosnet.inf. In txtsetup.sif, I only commented out the five files you already mentioned.

setupfiles.zip

It would be nice if you could take a look at my setupfiles.

And I did:

-DOSNET.inf looks fine

-TXTSETUP.sif looks allright and patched as I did. But I do not believe that patch makes sense for this type of installation

-Setuperr.log indicates a major installation crash: if you get that many errors: format and start all over again.

-Setuplog.txt is a mess as usual; I do not see where napprov etc are copied, and a lot more is not copied (calc.exe for example). It seems to go wrong (without error msg) at wmimgmt.msc (suspicious because specified in wbemoc.inf).

-HOWEVER: the wbemoc.inf is weird, something with "NR's WBEM Fix AddOn for Windows XP SP3". I would get rid of that first and use the orginal that came with SP3, or the one obtained after nLite 1.4.5.

On a different note: MS in its/her infinite wisdom has decided to keep the old version of I386\USETUP.exe and updated I386\System32\SMSS.exe.

-According to some nitpickers these two should be the same, and it is not sure which is used by which installation type. I am still looking into that but do not believe it is major.

Hi BikinDutchman,

In wbemoc.inf, i added the stuff about "NR's WBEM Fix AddOn for Windows XP SP3" later because i found a topic on the msfn forum, suggesting that this addition would fix the problem.

This was not the case, so I think I will remove those entries again.

I give it maybe another day, after that i'm going to focus on WIN PE I think

Every new idea is welcome....

Edited by aittersu

I have the same problems using winnt32.exe under BartPE...

Missing IE, Media Player calc...

BartPE should be no issue; it is a very nice build, based on the WinPE 1.0 scenario. But still our familiar windows 32 bit core.

You can have a look at your Setuplog.txt and Setuperr.log to detect any fatal errors. Ignore the hundreds of less important errors in setuplog.txt.

I noticed a difference between usetup.exe in the I386 folder and SMSS.exe in I386\System32.

SMSS.exe was patches by SP3, Usetup.exe not.

So i started an clientinstall and stopped the installation after the files were copied. When i look into the directory c:\$win_bt$.~bt\system32, i noticed that smss.exe that can be found there is NOT patched....

So now i replaced usetup.exe from the I386 folder with SMSS.exe from I386\System32.

I started a new install, and now c:\$win_bt$.~bt\system32\SMSS.exe is indeed the patched one.

Still, the effect is that napclientprov.mof is not copied, but isn't this strange?

I found a solution!!

First I replaced usetup.exe in the I386 with SMSS.exe from I386\System32. Thanks to BikingDutchman for the tip!!

This already solved the problem that the correct screen resolution was not taken over from the unattend.txt.

Secondly I edited I386\$oem$\$1\$$rename.txt

I added the following entries:

[\WINDOWS\System32\WBEM]

evtgprov.dll = "CmdEvTgProv.dll"

evtgprov.mof = "CmdEvTgProv.mof"

Napprov.mof = "NapClientProv.mof"

NapSchem.mof = "napclientschema.mof"

After this the setup runs normally without quitting at the T-28 pount during the GUI Phase. Also, Security center etc works again.

I still have one error in c:\windows\setuperr.log after installation:

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjetoledb40.dll because of the following error:

LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).

[i/]

I am working on this one, but so far it looks like the problem is solved.

Edited by aittersu

try rename msjetol1.dll to msjetoledb40.dll

ExamDiff tells the files are identical.

EDIT!!!!

Tested now, result:

Clean setuperr.log using aittersu's method, using the following $$rename.txt

[\WINDOWS\System32\WBEM]

[\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32]
msjetol1.dll = "msjetoledb40.dll"

IE, WMP tested and working, installation done using BartPE and winnt32 /unattend:.\winnt.sif /SYSPART:c:

Edited by magemaster

magemaster: it looks like you did a WinNT32, which is different from WinNT. Please comment.

aittersu: do you agree that the WinNT installation problem is completely solved by using your and magemaster's fix?

I believe the $$rename.txt method is much better that tweaking TXTSETUP.sif :thumbup

magemaster: it looks like you did a WinNT32, which is different from WinNT. Please comment.

aittersu: do you agree that the WinNT installation problem is completely solved by using your and magemaster's fix?

I believe the $$rename.txt method is much better that tweaking TXTSETUP.sif :thumbup

Yes, I did a winnt32 installation, but the errors was the same using winnt32.exe under BartPE and winnt.exe before using aiteru's method(NO IE, NO WMP, NO CALC and some others stuff that I didn't checked.

Yes, I did a winnt32 installation, but the errors was the same using winnt32.exe under BartPE and winnt.exe before using aiteru's method(NO IE, NO WMP, NO CALC and some others stuff that I didn't checked.

G'day,

Just a note of encouragement.

I am impatiently waiting for a winnt32.exe fix for nlite 1.4.5 having used an enlighted version of WinXPSP2 for many months now. I wouldn't want to miss the SP3 version of it. My personal complaint is that an added user does not automatically log on but generates an error message during autologon. But I am sure that past that point there are other problems. So pls pls let me know how it's going. I have spend the best part of a weekend on this so far and can't do it by myself. I don't have any useful tips as yet. Just following the discussion...

cheers

Hello all.

My problem with the winnt.exe installation after SP3 integration is completely fixed with the following additions to $$rename.txt:

I did not modify txtsetup.sif.

[\WINDOWS\System32\WBEM]

[\WINDOWS\System32\]

msjetol1.dll = "msjetoledb40.dll"

class_ss.dll = "shellstyle.dll"

[\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\]

Luna.mst = "luna.msstyles"

[\windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\Metallic\]

metal_ss.dll = "shellstyle.dll"

[\windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\Homestead\]

home_ss.dll = "shellstyle.dll"

[\windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\NormalColor\]

blue_ss.dll = "shellstyle.dll"

[\windows\Media]

XPBalln.wav = "Windows XP Balloon.wav"

XPBatCrt.wav = "Windows XP Battery Critical.wav"

XPBatLow.wav = "Windows XP Battery Low.wav"

XPCrtStp.wav = "Windows XP Critical Stop.wav"

XPDef.wav = "Windows XP Default.wav"

XPDing.wav = "Windows XP Ding.wav"

XPError.wav = "Windows XP Error.wav"

XPExcl.wav = "Windows XP Exclamation.wav"

XPHdFail.wav = "Windows XP Hardware Fail.wav"

XPHdInst.wav = "Windows XP Hardware Insert.wav"

XPHdRem.wav = "Windows XP Hardware Remove.wav"

XPInfBar.wav = "Windows XP Information Bar.wav"

XPLogoff.wav = "Windows XP Logoff Sound.wav"

XPLogon.wav = "Windows XP Logon Sound.wav"

XPMenu.wav = "Windows XP Menu Command.wav"

XPMin.wav = "Windows XP Minimize.wav"

XPNotify.wav = "Windows XP Notify.wav"

XPBlkPop.wav = "Windows XP Pop-up Blocked.wav"

XPPrint.wav = "Windows XP Print complete.wav"

XPRecycl.wav = "Windows XP Recycle.wav"

XPRestor.wav = "Windows XP Restore.wav"

XPRingin.wav = "Windows XP Ringin.wav"

XPRngout.wav = "Windows XP Ringout.wav"

XPShutdn.wav = "Windows XP Shutdown.wav"

XPStart.wav = "Windows XP Start.wav"

XPStartU.wav = "Windows XP Startup.wav"

Edited by aittersu

Thanks for everyone's efforts with this problem so far.

I've got the same issue with SP3. I'm using XP VLK and have tried slipstreaming an SP2 disk with SP3 and using a Microsoft SP3 ISO from Technet.

I use WinPE 2.0 and WinNT32.exe and boot and install from an external USB hard drive. If I add as little as 1 driver using nLite then the installation seems to miss all the files mentioned previously.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I have tried to follow the above thead and have modified usetup.exe and created a

$$rename.txt.

However no luck whatsoever.

Let me ask this questions:

I do not have a $1 directory within $OEM$! Where is $$rename.txt

supposed to be? I suppose I didn't use some nlite function to get the $$rename.txt

My main problem is that a new user that is supposed to be created does not

seem to exist for autologon. So Autologon says it can not log me on with the

user name I have specified.

If I log on as Admin instead it first has some problem relating to WMP11

and when finally showing the desktop does not show IE or OE etc and who knows

what else

NOT HAPPY!!! :realmad:

Here is my Setuperr.log:

================================================

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

=========== End Setuperr.log ==============================

I could not find too much on Google on thse errors.

Any thoughts out there?