USB_MultiBoot_8 help

OK this is what I got. I ran the USB_MultiBoot_8.cmd I set the usb and cd drive. Click yes to all the prompts. That seemed to work fine. Now when I boot to the usb I get 4 options. 5 if I do the bart PE.

1) txt mode setup windows xp…

2) GUI mode setup windows XP, continue setup+ start XP from HD1

3) Start windows xp form hd2

4) Start grub4dos menu…

1- This does nothing as expected

2-I get this error. “Windows could not start b/c the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

3-I get this error. “Windows could not start b/c of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manual for additional information.”

4-I think this is for vista and the options don’t work.

OK so what am I doing wrong?

What is your source? XP? SP1,2,3? 2003? SP?

Is it Nlite-ed? Did you select Operating System Options-->Manual Install and Upgrade for removal? That's the most common reason.

What is your USB device? Hard disk? USB stick? How did you format it? What file system?

What do you mean "1) Nothing happens"? Nothing from what you expected, or nothing indeed? This is the most interesting part.

3) Start windows xp form hd2
You should not use that unless you have installed windows on the SECOND hard disk.
4) Start grub4dos menu…
is to start grub4dos, from it you can launch whatever else you want, including, not only Vista.

ilko

What is your source? XP? SP1,2,3? 2003? SP?

XP SP2

What is your USB device? Hard disk? USB stick? How did you format it? What file system?

USB device is a USB hard disk. It was formatted with the HP USB disk storage format tool v2.0.6

What do you mean "1) Nothing happens"? Nothing from what you expected, or nothing indeed? This is the most interesting part.

The only thing that happens is the screen clears and I see the prompt but unable to type anything and it just sits there.

is to start grub4dos, from it you can launch whatever else you want, including, not only Vista. 2 3 memory test

When I chose 4 I get several options. Option 2 and 5 start the corrupted XP from Hard drive. And for the rest of the options I get this error:

“Warning: MBR cylinders(4864) is not equal to the bios one(16383).

Warning: MBR heas(255) is not equal to the bios one (16). Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7 chainloader (hd0,0)/bootmgr

Warning: MBR cylinders(4864) is not equal to the BIOS one(16383).

Warning: MBR heas(255) is not equal to the BIOS one(16).

Error 17: File not found

Press any key to continue..”

And here is the simple question. How to you insert a quote? LOL

Don't take it the wrong way :), but it seems to me that you simply ran the app without first trying to understand how it works and probably making a "wrong" choice somewhere during the building.

Rather obviously the error from grub4dos is due to an incorrect format of the drive and/or to a wrong drive.

I would suggest you to read attentively the help files then try again a new build, taking note of the choices you made exactly, and report them if the new build should not work as well.

To insert a quote:

Copy and paste in your post the text you want to quote.

Select it.

Press the small Icon with the small balloon, 9th button from left, on the line where b i u are.

OR:

Write:

[quote] [/quote]

and write your text in between, this:

[quote]This is some quoted text[/quote]

will result in:

This is some quoted text

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, as smiley537, I do not use nlited version, just upgraded the driverpack, and the procedure is 1. txt mode, 2.boot from hdd1. 3. boot from hdd1 and stick inside, then when restart without stick a problem: windows could not start because of a computer disk hwardware conf. problem.

frogman2008

We are not (yet ;) ) mind readers, please post some details, like what hardware you are using, USB flash stick or Hard disk, which version of Windows, etc.

Also, please post the contents of the BOOT.INI on your hard disk (the internal one).

jaclaz

Hello there smiley357, could you help me somehow, I see you had the same problem like I did on the post

http://www.msfn.org/board/USB-MultiBoot-8-...735#entry774735

how did you solved it?

thanks in advance.

I have had several people ask me what I did to fix my issue. I will post my reply here so everyone can read it and maybe help someone. I was going to write some instructions on how to use it but never got around to do it. The instructions they provide suck IMO. After you get it to work the instructions are clearer and make since but if it’s your first time they just don’t make any since. Part of the problem is you have to weed through all the information. There are updates information inside of instructions. They also provided screen shots but they are not all that helpful without providing information about the screen shot you are looking at.

How I fixed my issue was I formatted the USB drive in windows (right click on drive select format.) Then ran the setup and chose the option “HP USB disk storage format tool v2.0.6 “ after this tool opened up I then canceled it without formatting again. After this I had no issues. I’m not sure why this was any issue at all but after I did this it worked fine. Also, just a FYI option 1) txt mode setup windows xp… is the normal install that you get if you would have installed from the CD. I have had people ask me this question too.

...How I fixed my issue was I formatted the USB drive in windows (right click on drive select format.) Then ran the setup and chose the option “HP USB disk storage format tool v2.0.6 “ after this tool opened up I then canceled it without formatting again. After this I had no issues. I’m not sure why this was any issue at all but after I did this it worked fine.

This is a black magic :w00t:

AFAIK HP format tool will NOT do anything anywhere, unless you press START. I'd love someone proves me wrong.

So HP tool should not have anything to do with resolving your problem. Which rather was incorrect formatting.

Also, just a FYI option 1) txt mode setup windows xp… is the normal install that you get if you would have installed from the CD. I have had people ask me this question too.
I don't get that. What's the idea? What were people confused about? When you see in menu 1) and 2), which one to use first? Or what would 1) do? Can you explain please. Edited by ilko_t

This is a black magic

AFAIK HP format tool will NOT do anything anywhere, unless you press START. I'd love someone proves me wrong.

So HP tool should not have anything to do with resolving your problem. Which rather was incorrect formatting.

To explain a little better. When I would format the drive with the HP tool I would press START. However, by using the HP tool instead of windows to format the drive it would cause it to not work. When I would choose option 1) nothing would happen. Just got to a blank black screen and do nothing. I guess the little man that Intel puts inside was on break at that time. LOL

:rolleyes:

I use an 4GB flash voyager stick, and I want to create a unified installation that works on many pc-s, so whn I format it with hp tool I can't boot and nforce2 pc, but can so later on chipsets, and when I format it with pe2tousb and fat, I can boot and install XP, but cannot install vista, it says and error installation files are corupted or missing. Do I must add some files to the vista instalation or leave it default?

This is a black magic :w00t:

There are consistent reports that in some (actually very few cases) the HP tool is ineffective/does not produce a working stick.

A solution that has proved to be working is simply that of zeroing the first few sectors of the stick, typically first 100 sectors, by using a disk/hex editor or dsfo/dsfi.

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3453&st=8

jaclaz

...How I fixed my issue was I formatted the USB drive in windows (right click on drive select format.) Then ran the setup and chose the option “HP USB disk storage format tool v2.0.6 “ after this tool opened up I then canceled it without formatting again. After this I had no issues. I’m not sure why this was any issue at all but after I did this it worked fine.
The bolded is the black magic ;)

If I may add- I recall reports from Dietmar, where stick had to be formatted a few times with HP format tool, then it writes on it properly.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...ost&p=97239

did anyone of use fat file system to format a stick and put vista installation on it together with xp, because I tried to do that and at some point of installation about 47% it says that the files are corrupted or missing, I assume it wolud work when I format it with HP tool and use NTFS but when I do that many older chipsets liki nforce2 will not boot with the stick, and that is an issue. Does this that the install.wim 2.4GB file is to big for the fat to handle during the installation. Any experience?

When I try to install XP on Dell computers I get 0x000007b BSOD, is the ntdetect.com modified in the Usb multiboot 10 version, if it is not how can I do it, or if it is, is there another solution to getting rid of this bsod when trying to install xp on dell computers.

Thanks in advance