Documents slow to open in MS Word 2002

Debbie17

I have 3 questions.

1. It takes 30 seconds for documents to open in my MS Word 2002. However, if I keep 1 document open the whole time I am working in Word, then it takes 30 seconds for that initial document to be opened and 5 to 10 seconds for any other documents to open. This is still too slow. Based on the fact that keeping one document open helps speed up the process of opening other documents, does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

2. Detect and repair does not work. I get the error message: "Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error 6: Component not found in registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it." Does this have anything to do with documents opening slowly, and how do I correct the problem? Additional information: Service pack 2 did not correct this problem, and I did uninstall Word Perfect when I reformatted my hard drive.

3. My normal.dot keeps automatically creating a shortcut to itself. I delete the shortcut and another is created when I open Word. Is this what should happen?

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I do have SP3 installed, and I also have MDAC 2.8 SP1 installed on my computer via SP2. None of this has helped. Any more ideas?

i missed your comment about the /a switch earlier

based on that behavior i would try renaming/deleting this file: (word will recreate it)

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot (might have to turn on hidden files/folders to get there)

if that doesnt work try cleaning out this folder:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

those are the 2 most likely culprits IMO but you can try the other things that are bypassed when the /a switch is used:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826857