Do I have to use a "clean" source everytime?

exorr

This has nothing to do with my other thread, just a general question.

I've noticed that if I try to edit a previously built nlite install it will re-install patches, put drives in again, etc. Everytime I use nLite to I have to start from a new clean install?

Shortanswer: YES! Allways start with a clean Source!

Longeranswer: Some nlite option you can use sometimes, fpr example the "Components sction". You can run this as long as you have something to remove! :)

The "Driver section" ist more dangeraous, theoreticly you can use it more then once but i would not do it!

Nearly the same with the other nlite sections.

But you can do for every section a single run (first run only drivers, next run only components,...)

... if this make sense for you is your decision! :)

With the "last session.ini" you have a very good helper not to start at a zero point! :)

@Nick White

You can only do this a couple of time!

Or you risking some failures, because i think that some updates not only update files. Somtimes they make new registry tweaks (or / and something like that). If a new hotfix delet an older one then are maybe some leftovers. But its your risk!

Shortanswer: YES! Allways start with a clean Source!

that's not very feasable for a lot of operations:

1) you may first create a 'safe' full source, where you didn't remove anything, and then, going from that, start slimming it down.

2) you may have your whole disk perfect, except for wanting to change something in the network or user section.

3) you may want to just add a newly released hotfix or driver to 'your perfect disc' at any given time.

4) you probably don't want all these extra files sitting on your hard disk permanently, just so you can slipstream and patch your windows disk over and over from scratch... its not that good of a movie to keep watching repeats, although I'd give an Oscar to our friendly nLite creator any day ;-)

Edited by Tsais

It's NOT the question waht you want! :P

With evry new work run the risk to mess up gets higher.

You can do what ever you want, by don't howl if this not works aout perfectly!

A lot of people (and i) working with nLite for years, and we know what we are talking about!

danker, I don't really understand your argument. If I have a full CD with patches, etc that works great, why can't I use that as my standard disk and add hotfixes as their released etc?

I don't see a difference between installing all fixes via nLite, having it work perfectly, then adding on one more hotfix to that install...this would still be the exact same order as if you redo ALL hotfixes via nLite and add the one to the end...

In case of hotfixes there is the possibility that a NEW ONE is replaceing an OLDER ONE!

Now you can have some wrong entries in your source.

By the way, if you put in 1 or 100 its nearly the same time. If you dont want the use PostSPx Packs its your decision, but i gues you have a folder with all the patches you want integrate, so what is the problem to do this with a clean source????

• 2 weeks later...
Well, with all the testing I'm doing it makes it a pain to have to wait for SP2 and RyanVM's Patch Pack everytime :(

The answer is then simple. Create a source, integrate SP2, label it as a SAFE source on your drive, create a copy of that source anytime you wish to nLite it. It would seem not that many people are too familiar with the "presets" for nLite.

Eg. I've nLited SP2, then used that source to work from. I then use every section of nLite to tweak the install the way I want it. BUT every step of the way, i'm saving the PRESET to one I've created (i don't rely on LastSession's). So whenever I actually have / want to nLite the disk again, I create a copy of my SAFE SP2 source, and load my PRESET. Which prefills all the work I did last time, then I add in any new hotfixes / drivers / addons.

SP's are always a little bit time consuming (except on my dual core rig :P). But having SP2 pre-integrated into a source that I'll never over-write means I don't have to wait for it, usually reload my preset (which includes over 90 hotfixes from the Update Catalogue), add what I need / want, tell nLite to get to work, and go make a coffee and please the missus for 10 mins or so (sorry for the bad sex joke :)) )

Long story short, YES definately use a clean source (at least the latest SP you want) but people really REALLY need to be more aware of just how powerful the presets are, afterall you can make hundreds of your own. I personally have one for each of my XP's, Home, Pro, MCE etc etc.